@Stskeeps recently made a post about issues with openness of hardware apatations:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...bootstrapping/

Any thoughts? I asked to clarify some details for the tablet. For instance, which open drivers are missing exactly and how exactly are open GPU drivers not performing enough?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You and your openness...

I think it was a very itntressting post compared with the other ones in da blog and I hope stskeeps(or some else) gives insight and reports from the inside on a regular basis.

When it comes drivers and openness it's always a mess. No matter what you do you hit some wall. So let's wait and see.

Waiting for next post in jPad story.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
For instance, which open drivers are missing exactly and how exactly are open GPU drivers not performing enough?
Personally, I'm fine with using closed drivers for every piece of hardware, so long as the user is not prevented from installing open drivers on the hardware they've purchased. After all, it doesn't really matter which driver performs better if you're allowed to install whichever one you prefer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: