Asus P50IJ-X2. I got one and added a micro BT adapter and a 7200RPM hard drive, in all it was well under $600. It comes with Win7 somethingorother...I swapped out the hard drive before ever powering it on so I haven't used it.

It's VERY easy to work on the hardware on this laptop BTW. Just 5 screws and everything is accessible, it's as easy as a desktop PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
@ all the people making jokes about anger mgmt, toughbooks etc.... have you ever used windows vista?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
There are a ton of laptops under $1000 - any core 2 duo/4gb ram/320gb HDD laptop should come in for $600 +/- $100, and they all come out of the same factories in china anyway, so pick whichever brand you like.

I use a laptop, and a netbook, and of course the n900. I like options. My netbook (acer aspire one) triple boots meego, win7 ultimate, and MacOS. Yeah... I need too many OSes.

asus ul80vt

light

12hrs battery life confirmed

dvd

hdmi out

culv 1.3 oc to 1.7

4gb ram

320gb hdd 7200rpm

nvidia 210gt m

w7

Last edited by leviathan18; 2010-06-30 at 16:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to leviathan18 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I'm eying a Toshiba R700 right now. It has 13.3" screen and it weighs only 1,3 kg, but it still has Core i3, i5 or i5 CPU instead of a low power and performance CPU. Don't know about the Linux support yet, and there is a chance that it's quite noisy, but it's just come to the market, so these things are soon to be found out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Naranek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Get an Apple laptop, they are genuinely better than the windows ones. As apple control the hardware and software completely I'm convinced they optimise them really well. I got a macbook 2 years ago and haven't looked back... I have windows (dell) work laptops and had HP ones in the past and although obviously cheaper they were also a lot crapper.

Failing that get a Sony.

If you're a geek and spend a lot of time on it, it's worth the extra for the good brand and quality.

If you just wanna go for cheapest then get a Dell - lots of people bash them but they're good for what they are.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

i got the Alienware m11x ! it is the best laptop i've ever owned! they come in core 2 duo (799) core i5/i7 (949) despite the 11" screen this is one beast machine! i get 7-8 hours on low brightness and 2 hours of gaming on battery! the build quality is very solid too! and it comes with nvidia gt 335M! runs HD very smooth!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vietn900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
I second leviathan, asus ul80vt is your best bet

I was going to suggest the Acer Aspire AS1551-5448
or
or the Asus ul20

But I don't think they could handle the 1080P playback you want

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTHAcctant For This Useful Post:
Asus UL80 or UL30 imho.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
if you have a laptop that can run vista then no use buying a new lappy, just upgrade to windows 7.