Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Hahahaha...How do I know you reside in Europe.....
What gave me away :P

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Yes you can browse and talk at the same time (with speaker phone or a headset of course). If you want a "mini-pc with a phone" then the N900 is what you want
Thanks very much mate

The Following User Says Thank You to VisTa. For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by VisTa. View Post
I also read in some reviews the phone is great for multitasking however I do have a question would I be able to surf the web while on the phone.
You know, I've never even tried that; but yeah, I just called my land-line, and was able to leave a message on my answering machine while clicking links and opening new web pages on the browser. That's using wifi for the browser; let's see if t-mobile will let me both browse the web and handle a call at the same time... yup, that works too. (I'm in the US, though, don't know if cell service elsewhere would work the same.)

Funny thing, the guy (or answering machine) on the other end of the line gets to hear all the "click" and "swish" sounds made when you're hitting icons and navigating links.

Edit: Drat, someone else answered this one before me.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2011-01-23 at 18:20. Reason: Edit to concede late entry of post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
You know, I've never even tried that; but yeah, I just called my land-line, and was able to leave a message on my answering machine while clicking links and opening new web pages on the browser. That's using wifi for the browser; let's see if t-mobile will let me both browse the web and handle a call at the same time... yup, that works too. (I'm in the US, though, don't know if cell service elsewhere would work the same.)

Funny thing, the guy (or answering machine) on the other end of the line gets to hear all the "click" and "swish" sounds made when you're hitting icons and navigating links.

Edit: Drat, someone else answered this one before me.
Thanks for trying. I'm going to go with this phone and hopefully buy it of play soon in the next few days D:

The Following User Says Thank You to VisTa. For This Useful Post:
1. It fully open source
Not true, it's mostly open source. Conveniently [a bit of sarcasm there], a lot of the common setbacks of the OS are the closed source components such as the video driver.

Anyway, if you're looking for a phone, don't get the N900. Although it's a great device that can make calls and texts, it's not a great phone. You're better off with a higher-end Android if you're looking at OS-hacking and customizing while still having a decent phone. Android may not be true-linux, but many of the popular Maemo mods, apps, and functions are also available for Android, many of them work better, for instance, Gameboid is a GBA emulator that runs at 100% speed for just about everything, the UI is graphically accelerated on the better ones, Maemo's is not, root access is available on many devices, and although it's not as easy to set up, it gives you just as much power. I ordered an HTC Vision that I'll be receiving tomorrow to use alongside the N900, and I'm quite impressed by what it can do, me being an N900 diehard.

There's a pretty good, non-fanboy opinion.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-24 at 01:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Conveniently [a bit of sarcasm there], a lot of the common setbacks of the OS are the closed source components such as the video driver.
Actually, most modern desktop Linux distributions seem to use closed source video drivers by default. Closed-source hardware drivers are, unfortunately, hard to avoid in today's world...

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Anyway, if you're looking for a phone, don't get the N900. Although it's a great device that can make calls and texts, it's not a great phone.
Sigh. My age is showing, I guess; I'm using my n900 as my main phone, and yes, in my world a phone is something you use to make phone calls; anything else is extra. Can you at least consent to saying the n900 is not a great "smartphone"? It certainly has no deficits as a regular old phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
to me.. the n900 is still the best internet experience mobile-wise.

In fact, i used to think of it as mainly an internet tablet but now with abiword, koffice, gnumeric and the like, I find it to be quite an office workhorse too.. some even got it to printing too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Guys I have another question, see I heard this phone is great for hacking the OS itself.

I was wondering if you could put a custom OS like say one that a member made or have I to do it all myself once I open the box?

Originally Posted by VisTa. View Post
I was wondering if you could put a custom OS like say one that a member made or have I to do it all myself once I open the box?
This is not something I've tried yet, but there's plenty of support. Check out this Wiki on some of the existing alternative OSs:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Alternative_operating_systems

Of course, there's also an entire section of the forums here devoted to this topic, lots of good info there as well:

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
All right thanks.

Was talking to a friend in school who owns an iphone 4.

He reckons I will hate the phone and that it is sht however I would like to get your guys views on this before I buy it.

Thanks, vista.

Took the leap of faith and ordered it