Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Random thought... Qualcomm makes the chips that will power this upcoming generation of Windows Phone 8 and had produced the prior chips that Nokia utilized (as well as the other WP7 handset manufacturers)...

Perhaps this is Qualcomm's way to get back at Nokia. Sell them on the old chipset, say it's the fastest chipset while withholding this upcoming chipset, sat back and laughed when Elop was saying that the Lumia 900 was the "real WP7 phone"...

If so. Well played Qualcomm... well played. That'll teach anybody to take you to court for so long...

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Awesomely imagined desktop. Looks just like my N900's photo gallery. Yoohoo.

WP is a pure unorganized mess. Enjoy it little dudee...
Jesus man... you're so naive..

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Jesus man... you're so naive..
Naive...NO......Real.....YES.

All they have done is put more squares, that's it. It really is quite messy and unorganized. What good is the rest of the UI, if the first screen I see, after I unlock the phone, is a chess board.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Naive...NO......Real.....YES.

All they have done is put more squares, that's it. It really is quite messy and unorganized. What good is the rest of the UI, if the first screen I see, after I unlock the phone, is a chess board.
I was talking about you, feeding the trolls (lamiaman)

falling in his "trap"....

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
The song "Road to Nowhere" by Talking Heads has to be the theme song in the upcoming commercial for the Windows Phone 8 Lumia's!

Narrator: "Meet the new Lumia, with Windows Phone 8"
[Song Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads starts playing]
Narrator: "Available from October 2012"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqzayNo4Dk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
But it is very likely. If WP8 was capable of running on the next gen "low-end" hardware (say 1 GHz Cortex A8 kinda performance), it should be possible to bring WP8 to the current Lumia 800/900 phones.
That's the mistake you are making. This isn't about what is possible it's about what they are willing to spend time (and therefore money) on. The HD2 was also capable of running WP7 but it didn't get it, it got updated to 6.5 only. Nokia and MS are trying to sell phones and they think they can do it by ignoring those who they've already sold to and making them buy the new phone. There will no doubt be low end WP8 in the future. Lumia 900 would not be one of them though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
I was talking about you, feeding the trolls (lamiaman)

falling in his "trap"....
Just wanna see what the kid's got now after nothing new and out of the ordinary has been announced by MS.

Pardon me............for being zi curiouuuuz

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
MS is doing the right thing. They are upgrading an already smooth platform , and incrementally making it better. Unlike the N9 failure
By their actions, they are essentially admitting that WP7 was just an interim OS with almost no support lifecycle. This also implies that Windows Phone was never 'ready' early as a competitor to the N9, but was actually always a "get something turdy shipped that we can sell while we quickly play catch-up behind the scenes" manoeuvre on Microsoft's part.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
MS is not confused and NOKIA lost the software war. Nothing more to it
It actually implies that the internal Nokia software departments such as the Harmattan Team did not lose the software war at all, as those software projects have been stopped, but WP8 is only now catching up to the feature set (NFC etc), but they actually lost the internal software marketing war, as they had an enemy at the helm of the company who had been given complete authority to destroy any pre-existing strategy and product.

However, none of this matters if this type of WP support strategy continues from MS, the platform will not last long at all. Customers do not regard built-in obsolescence as an appealing feature in their technology devices. Their competitors at Apple understand how new OS releases and support can continue for older hardware, and customers will flock to that platform or elsewhere instead.

Microsoft is running scared now that tablets have taken a chunk of the laptop market share, and Android has more new OS installations than Windows desktop. MS have a lot of cash reserves so they can keep subsidising unprofitable operations, but they also don't treat their partner companies particularly well, and some of them struggle to survive. Yes of course MS can have their own branded handsets manufactured like the new surface tablet, but how well did that work for them with Zune, and are they good at carrier partnerships?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Microsoft is however promising the world for Windows 8 phones, dual core, huge ram, 16:9 720p, etc...as well as AT LEAST 1.5 years of firmware updates guarenteed....we will see if the 1.5 years of firmware updates come true, if so, this is quite amazing, since no OEMs do this. (Other than Apple with their yearly refresh/possible update)

Now, google does not do this, b/c they are completely fragmented, and iOS does not update as often...I am interested to see if MSFT can make these promises come true.
They said 18 months support, not updates. WP7.8 would count as "support".

Also, you can install iOS 5 on a 3GS which launched in 2009! that's more than 18months. Android phones are also updated to the latest ICS release which is not going to be replaced I assume until this fall so most android phones would also have 18 months or more. Not to mention a lot of Android phones have unlocked bootloaders anyway so you can install whatever you like.

Originally Posted by caa View Post
By their actions, they are essentially admitting that WP7 was just an interim OS with almost no support lifecycle. This also implies that Windows Phone was never 'ready' early as a competitor to the N9, but was actually always a "get something turdy shipped that we can sell while we quickly play catch-up behind the scenes" manoeuvre on Microsoft's part.

It actually implies that the internal Nokia software departments such as the Harmattan Team did not lose the software war at all, as those software projects have been stopped, but WP8 is only now catching up to the feature set (NFC etc), but they actually lost the internal software marketing war, as they had an enemy at the helm of the company who had been given complete authority to destroy any pre-existing strategy and product.
What I would like to really know is if Nokia knew about this.
I can only assume that Nokia had no idea of this plan otherwise whoever OKed this ad was completely crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post: