Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4EbM7dCMs

Watch this video of a 2.5 year old use the ipad. The mass consumer appeal is simply huge/massive.
That was pretty amazing. Still, I can imagine the kid chucking it in another fifteen minutes.

After the N810 I hoped the N900 would be bigger in stead off smaller, and I don't care that it is a phoe too now. I use the N900, since my N810 died, for writing: poems, opera and musical - and I'm quite used with typing on its keyboard. Nevertheless I wish for a comparable bigger device (I'd love to see the N900 specs with a 5 (with keyboard) - 10 (without) inch maemo tablet.
I also havema SmartQ7 wich I use sometimes for a better overview in written lyrics (bigger screen) and webreading with the chromebrowser. And since it has no flash eather, I understand it is a very cool device!!!
So, yeah, I consider buying a iPad for the bigger screen and smooth interface (that's the downside with the SmartQ, it's interface is more like a desktop than a tablet). I'm also looking at the Entourage Edge, but perhaps it's too big to be portable.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It seems that the iPad is the perfect device to realize the dream of 'paperless office' of yore ('90s?). It already has one of the best UI to view and interact with documents in small form factor thanks to the accelerated graphic function and multitouch control and plenty of wireless connectivity options.

What's missing?

- A 'scanner strip' behind it or a very decent camera with macro mode.
- (wireless) Printing capability, which is rumored to come with OS4.
Eh, I think that depends on the office work in question as well as the individual. For example, my typing speed on touchscreen only devices is terrible, even with time spent on the iPhone, n800, N900, etc..Some people have done initial wpm tests and for some I think the time nearly doubles for the same amount of words, though of course the gap will shrink for some with practice. So if your writing a report or a program, I don't see tablets replacing PCs. Of course the iPad does have a keyboard extension..

But for presentations, note-taking with a (stylus ironically as he mentioned), or showing someone pictures, I could see tablets used more in that environment.

As for the people in the HF class, I say it varies. But most are beyond technological neophytes. But at the same time, they may not know much about things such as the OS. They aren't computer science programmers or engineers. The class including professor and his collegue consist of one student in the class with a bio-engineer background, my professor and his collegue are applied experimental psychologists, and the rest are AE PhD, general masters students, some aren't interested in Human Factors but are taking the class because it sounded interesting or they work with my professor. While I have a computer science and IT background but no formal undergraduate degree in computer science (my undergrad is in psychology). But not neophytes as some posters here like to imagine.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by m165 View Post
Ignoring screen size and hardware, how does the iPad compare with the iPod Touch? I've always thought that it is just like an iPod touch, but just bigger. I'd like to be proven wrong though!

For me, i dont really have much use for it, as i have a macbook as a portable computer, a windows machine if i need to use windows for any reason, and the N900 for connecting with people and internet when im not at my mac.

If i didnt have an N900, id have a different device capable of phone calls, texts and internet, again eliminating the need for an iPad, and even any other device similar to it.

I guess i just like an all-in-one device, rather than multiple things, so for me, the iPad is not in question.
The full sized on screen keyboard makes it alot easier to type (but see above post about my opinion about typing on osk), also the screen is sharper and obviously there's more space. Thus allowing for more things on the screen (if you run openoffice on the N900 you can tell it gets cramped from time to time, but whether that bothers you enough is individual dependent). It does feel like a oversized iPod touch rather than a tablet at first, but after you use the apps that were made for the iPad (not apps that were simply rescaled from the iPhone) it does have its own unique functionality.

Now whether it's enough to justify buying one, I don't know. For me the N900 does nearly everything I saw of the iPad so far (with the caveat of hey your using battery and therefore you may have no phone functionality if the battery goes to 0. The main thing I'd like to see is games, but I don't see a point for buying an iPad for games when I prefer Nintendo or Microsoft consoles/handhelds. I'm more likely to buy the next Nintendo portable for the gaming aspect than an iPad. But for others, the iPad fills the primary role of ebook reading, tv/films, and games.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
even a 2.5 yr old child is looking for a camera.. haha.. and she loves playing the cat game... haha
My nephew is of the same age and my brother keeps telling me how easy he learned to use tools like the VCR, DVD Player, TV and such devices...

Aniello

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think the problem with Flash is that it's going be less of a problem as more content moves towards HTML5. Already you see certain apps that normally use Silverlight or Flash switch over.

I find that benefits the N900 too, since instead of waiting for Adobe or Nokia to get Flash 10 onto the N900 (whoever's hands it's in now) we can use HTML5 with Fennec/Firefox or maybe even MicroB.
The question is - would the content shift to HTML5? With the recent announcement the Chrome 5 and Chrome OS would ship with Flash preinstalled, it seems to me less likely, even despite the rule 3.1.1 of iPhone 4.0..

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Eh, I think that depends on the office work in question as well as the individual. For example, my typing speed on touchscreen only devices is terrible, even with time spent on the iPhone, n800, N900, etc..Some people have done initial wpm tests and for some I think the time nearly doubles for the same amount of words, though of course the gap will shrink for some with practice. So if your writing a report or a program, I don't see tablets replacing PCs. Of course the iPad does have a keyboard extension..
Oh, right. I was thinking of using bluetooth keyboard or keyboard docks for serious (more than a paragraph) typing. If someone designs a 3rd party keyboard that can be folded into a thin case along with the ipad and still remain useable, i think it may be a popular accessory.

As for the people in the HF class, I say it varies. But most are beyond technological neophytes. But at the same time, they may not know much about things such as the OS. They aren't computer science programmers or engineers. The class including professor and his collegue consist of one student in the class with a bio-engineer background, my professor and his collegue are applied experimental psychologists, and the rest are AE PhD, general masters students, some aren't interested in Human Factors but are taking the class because it sounded interesting or they work with my professor. While I have a computer science and IT background but no formal undergraduate degree in computer science (my undergrad is in psychology). But not neophytes as some posters here like to imagine.
Aye, thanks for the explanation!

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
My nephew is of the same age and my brother keeps telling me how easy he learned to use tools like the VCR, DVD Player, TV and such devices...

Aniello
I think that's the point of simple & accessible UI.
Isn't there empirical proof that that's the end result of refinement of computing capability?
disclaimer: we're not talking about open vs closed system here.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The question is - would the content shift to HTML5? With the recent announcement the Chrome 5 and Chrome OS would ship with Flash preinstalled, it seems to me less likely, even despite the rule 3.1.1 of iPhone 4.0..
I wonder what's the marketshares are like, html5 vs flash capability?
What about the cost and effort to generate and distribute flash vs html5 content?

Those should be the driving factors to keep an eye on...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Almost any website worth visiting is now optimized for the iphone, if the iPad continues on its current sales pace most decent sites will have HTML5 within 12 months.

Its unfortunate that Apple is stifling openness and innovation, but the sad fact is there is no competitor coming close to their UI experience (maybe Windows 7 has a chance?)

Since I first saw the pad in the Hands of Captain Kirk (or was it
Picard) I feel this is the form factor a computer should have.

You cant Ignore Ergonomics. A Handy (N900) is uncomfortable
small. Anything bigger than A4 gets to weighty.

So if it's not the iPad this form factor is needed.

Why I do not buy the iPad at the moment:
- iPad is no eBook-Reader. You simple cant read outdoor.
(I own a Sony eBook Reader. This is usable).
- Its not worth the money (here in Germany it will start
selling with a big price offset as most electronics)
- I have a N900 to take with me and a Tablet-PC for Office/Home
The Tablet PC is faster and runs much more Software I already
own (and syncs with the N900). And the couch style reading
Steve Jobs showed is possible with this device already.

So there is no gap the iPad fills. No other than my gadget playing

Anyone seen OneNote on a Tablet PC? This is not possible with
the iPad. No Pen no scribbling.