Active Topics

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Seems that 128 GB cards work too, to some extend at least. I now have SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS.I card. It does not work as well as my 64GB card.

Both are formatted as btrfs and both contain same music files. I made symlink to /run/user/100000/media/sdcard which points to /media/sdcard and the file browser is able to navigate the files on card. Music player finds files on 64GB card but not from 128GB card.

There might be something different in those cards but I haven't had time to investigate, will report back when I have had time to fiddle with it.

Sorry for not creating own thread for this, should we create a separate threads for each card size?.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Have you checked that your 128GB card is not a fake. As all 128GB cards that I've seen have been fake cards.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Have you checked that your 128GB card is not a fake. As all 128GB cards that I've seen have been fake cards.
There is only 1 atm, but it's real: http://www.sandisk.com/goto/newmicrosd128/

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Have you checked that your 128GB card is not a fake.
Yes, both Jolla and my laptop reported correct size. AFAIK SanDisk is the only one having these large cards for sale.

Mine is this:
http://www.amazon.de/SanDisk-microSD..._gw_p_t_1_TENF

Connecting my phone via the USB as "PC connection" on a Windows PC is fine. The 64Gb SDXC is handled correctly and copying and deleting files to the jolla is fine.

However it is not fine under Linux - more specifically Fedora 19. I installed on the desktop computer:

fuse-exfat-1.0.1-1.fc19.x86_64
exfat-utils-1.0.1-1.fc19.x86_64

and while it shows both phone storage locations in the File Manager correctly copying to the 64Gb sdcard fails. Often it refuses, but also it quite often says that it has done it and instead the files have copied to the other storage location /home/nemo

As a result of these problems I lost all of my config data /home/nemo for contacts, call list, txts etc etc and it wiped out the default directories in /home/nemo. It deleted accounts and also screwed contacts so even when I try and re-import contacts it still says there are no contacts......Grrrrr. Bitter lesson.

I have resorted to connecting the phone in developer mode and scpping the data to the 64Gb sdcard.

In theory given that exFAT support was installed correctly on both jolla and desktop it should be fine.

There is something funky going on though on Fedora 19 as it believes the cards are camera devices and often it tries to connect to them with gphoto2://

Anyway thought somebody might like an update on how I got on with 64Gb SDXC

Oh havent tried MAC yet..........

Last edited by blobbyblobby2000; 2014-03-21 at 13:04. Reason: More information to add

Originally Posted by blobbyblobby2000 View Post
Connecting my phone via the USB as "PC connection" on a Windows PC is fine. The 64Gb SDXC is handled correctly and copying and deleting files to the jolla is fine.
This is not true for me.
The 64GB card is recognized, but not all files can be copied. Files larger than 4GB (fat32 filesize limit) won't be copied. When removing the card, putting it inside a cardreader and try it again it does work.
So to be honest: it's not a good solution, it's a workaround.

Next to that, explorer is very slow and instable. When restarting explorer through taskmanager, it's working a bit faster. I'm using Windows 8, by the way.
Only things that do work is >32GB cards and seeing/using files >4GB.
What doesn't work: fast/stable using card on PC and copying files >4GB with pc.

Ok, I hope I am not regurgitating the old, I want to use a POSIX filesystem on my memory card, as far as I can tell from here it should all work.

My main question is what is better, btrfs or ext4 and even more importantly should mounting options like noatime be used or not...

ext4 obviously is more stable on the other hand jolla itself uses btrfs for most of the filesystems so clearly it's stable enough

Also, are you using GPT or MBR partition tables?

@blobbyblobby2000
Your exFAT card is mounted automatically after reboot?
I have one too, but mine it's not mounted automatically.

Florian

Sorry been away.......

Originally Posted by robnas View Post
This is not true for me.
The 64GB card is recognized, but not all files can be copied. Files larger than 4GB (fat32 filesize limit) won't be copied.
sorry @robnas you are incorrect with regard to my post. Remember my post was about building exFAT support. 4GB is indeed the FS limit on FAT32 but the kingston 64GB SDXC is exFAT and that limit is 16EB. Hence I built exFAT support on my jolla

No idea why the PC isnt copying to your jolla/64Gb card

Originally Posted by coco_f2001 View Post
@blobbyblobby2000
Your exFAT card is mounted automatically after reboot?
I have one too, but mine it's not mounted automatically.

Florian
Yes it is. I didnt even have to do anything extra. It is always there and now with the latest version of CargoDock it is recognised correctly as well.