Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
I'm typing this on my new iPod Touch feel like i'm cheating on my tablet
It's OK, your tablet understands. Before I moved out of the US I was using a blackberry storm to do a lot of stuff I had been using my n800 for. But it looks like my tablet won out the battle in the long haul.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I spent way too much trying to figure out what my needs were. I have a 770, an N810, an EEE PC, and a Samsung U740 flip phone.

The 770 was a novelty because it hadn't been done like that before.

The N810 has barely ever been used (anyone in Toronto want to buy it, it's in brand new condition w/box and all accessories) because 3 generations in scrolling through web pages is still chunky and unbearable most of the time.

The EEE PC was pretty cool for it's portability and being able to sit at a coffee shop or on the balcony and get some decent browsing (I admittedly put Ubuntu on it).

The U740 was a nightmare becase Bell Canada nerfed the permissions and wouldn't let you make actual use of the $15/mo data plan by using internet apps in landscape mode (landscape mode uses the qwerty keyboard, otherwise it's a 10 minute endeavour to type www.google.com). I bought out the contract, stripped down my home phone service (also with Bell) and essentially told them to f*** off.

I got an iPhone. I'll admit it. I hate Apple. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the shiny Apple logo on the back. But I got reasonable rates and something neat on top of it. I can actually browse websites with some measure of speed. Not all of them, but I also realized I'm either mobile or not. I'm never going to stand somewhere and need a site that uses flash for critical elements. It's usually cnn.com's mobile site or something along those lines. When I'm not mobile, that's when I can use my laptop (bought after the EEE PC). I'm satisfied.

I think Apple is ******ed in the hoops they lay out for people to jump through but the overall experience has been better. While I always disagreed that the tablets should have a cellular radio in them, I've changed my mind. It just shouldn't ridiculously inflate the price, ie I could buy one and use as a disconnected tablet if I felt like it without having to sign up for a hellish contract and crappy data rates. Either way, the speed is still something that I'm not completely happy with.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you earn my deepest respect for being able to type at all on that device.

i tried and failed.

i've done ALL my typing (save for the ordering of my 810) over the past month on a playstation portable (too new to be hacked )

now THATS rough (imo)

its like texting on a one-buttoned cell phone :-/

Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post

I got an iPhone. I'll admit it. I hate Apple. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the shiny Apple logo on the back. But I got reasonable rates and something neat on top of it. I can actually browse websites with some measure of speed. Not all of them, but I also realized I'm either mobile or not. I'm never going to stand somewhere and need a site that uses flash for critical elements. It's usually cnn.com's mobile site or something along those lines. When I'm not mobile, that's when I can use my laptop (bought after the EEE PC). I'm satisfied.

I think Apple is ******ed in the hoops they lay out for people to jump through but the overall experience has been better. While I always disagreed that the tablets should have a cellular radio in them, I've changed my mind. It just shouldn't ridiculously inflate the price, ie I could buy one and use as a disconnected tablet if I felt like it without having to sign up for a hellish contract and crappy data rates. Either way, the speed is still something that I'm not completely happy with.
I've been considering an iPhone, but the monthly plan (59.99 a month! ) and the fact that I can't do background apps is bad.

Though if I do get one I think I'll wind up carrying both my tablet and my iPhone and do some tethering.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
cheaters get the worm