I've had my N9 for a day now and like it quite a lot.

The GSM/3G radio seems to be very good, I get connections in places where my N900 couldn't (the tunnel between Nation and Gare de Lyon on the RER for example!).

The WIFI however is abominable.

At home I get no WIFI in my bedroom, where the N900 is showing at least 40%

At work the N900 sees my office WIFI at 20% The N9 often can't see it at all, and won't connect when it can.

In both places if I go sit right next to the WIFI access point it works.

What experience do others have?

Last edited by JohnHughes; 2011-10-13 at 09:13.

Yes, I also have pretty bad WiFi reception, and having troubles with mixed a/g/n WLANs (2,4 + 5 GHz bands)... Connection is established, but stops responding after few seconds... if I set my access point to 802.11b/g only, it works without problems.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
This is bad news; one of the early claims for the N9 was that the polycarbonate body would result in excellent reception. I assumed this applied to all the wireless technologies in the phone

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't (yet) have the N9 myself, but read two independent reviews so far stating that WiFi was a weak point. (Not only reception in general, but also re-connecting from 3G to known WiFi access points and other issues.)

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
dang.

Originally Posted by marrat View Post
if I set my access point to 802.11b/g only, it works without problems.
Very interesting. I'll have to see if I can configure my home and office WIFI APs like that.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I don't (yet) have the N9 myself, but read two independent reviews so far stating that WiFi was a weak point. (Not only reception in general, but also re-connecting from 3G to known WiFi access points and other issues.)
The reconnect issue is not present at my home, fortunately... But at work I experience this one...

Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
Very interesting. I'll have to see if I can configure my home and office WIFI APs like that.
Well, in the office I have a Linksys WAP200 which only does B and G.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
I dont understand how things like this get into the finished product.
Surely wireless is one of the big things they test for before releasing a product.

Then again, I guess not.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
This is bad news; one of the early claims for the N9 was that the polycarbonate body would result in excellent reception. I assumed this applied to all the wireless technologies in the phone
it could be a software problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: