Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
"Jaaksi admitted that concepts like these 'go against the open-source philosophy,' but said they were necessary components of the current mobile industry. 'Why do we need closed vehicles? We do,' he said. 'Some of these things harm the industry but they're here [as things stand]. These are touchy, emotional issues, but this dialogue is very much needed. As an industry, we plan to use open-source technologies, but we are not yet ready to play by the rules; but this needs to work the other way round too.'"
Sure sounds like Nokia's MO.

ESR, (reluctant) leader of the open-source revolt against free-software, author of CatB, etc.
http://www.catb.org/

Not ESR, measure of lossiness of capacitors during discharge, curse of homebrew railgun projects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equival...ies_resistance

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
… but when people start talking about defining overarching common missions, I do get a little nervous; something about that makes me think of GNU. And HURD, which should be done any day now...
show some respect. without GNU, there wouldn't be anything of what you probably call linux and free software today. for sure we wouldn't have the tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
With only GNU, there wouldn't be any either. So what? There's good things to be said about the GNU project, but they are an example of an approach that's not the best way; the cathedral approach.

And you're free to drop the ridiculousness. You say "what you probably call linux and free software"; if you want to lecture people on nomenclature, I think you should find a shift key. (And it wouldn't hurt to make sure you know what they call things. Presumptive ad-hom has almost as much potential to make the wielder look foolish as failure to capitalize.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Presumptive ad-hom has almost as much potential to make the wielder look foolish as failure to capitalize.
so many new words to look up...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
What I'm not seeing, reading or hearing is what Nokia's gameplan is. Not only for the rest of this year but next as well.

About all I keep seeing and reading about is the N95.

Seems to me everyone is just scrambling around trying to make the next iPhone clone/killer. It almost seems too little too late.

Hate em or not I think that Apple did in one generation cycle what other companies have been trying to do for years and are still flailing around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TTgowings For This Useful Post:
totally agree!...and believe me, Nokia's stock is getten the crap beaten out of it for this!....you have to answer the Iphone with something...the only thing i've heard is tidbits about the TUBE

So, anybody else thinking that Mr. Jaaksi's statements weren't all that much targeted at the ITOS and its community, but rather mentioned with todays announcement of the Symbian Foundation and the open-sourcing of Symbian in mind?

http://www.symbianfoundation.org/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
It would seem more than anything that Nokia has positioned themselves to be a open source software and services broker; interesting transition if you think about it long enough - a company designed to make open source and community driven efforts work through managing areas of the supply chain management stream that those community efforts by their very nature cannot support.