Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Due to a minor mix up with some Flash version strings (they weren't updated properly with Flash updates), the Flash plugin is described as an older version than it actually is (r31 instead of r48). This affects some websites that require a slightly newer revision of Flash 9, and can prevent you from using their Flash applications (some Facebook applets, in particular).

Fix is included in 4.2008.36-5

Many thanks to atmasphere of maemo-apps.org for finding this one!

If you run into any additional Flash version troubles about anything older than r48, please speak up over in bug #3567. Note, anything newer than r48 is not currently supported, so complaints about r48 being too old are a separate issue and should not be reported to bugzilla.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-09-29 at 12:25.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I simply do not understand why web designers or their clients insist on doing sniffs for the latest point rev of the flash plug-in. especially when they are doing nothing that requires such granularity. back in the day when we were designing muli-media CD's we always tried to code to the previous rev to avoid such nonsense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I simply do not understand why web designers or their clients insist on doing sniffs for the latest point rev of the flash plug-in. especially when they are doing nothing that requires such granularity. back in the day when we were designing muli-media CD's we always tried to code to the previous rev to avoid such nonsense.
It ain't back in the day.

Today flash is as much about delivering advertising as it is about delivering entertainment or information. Either way, content producers may not want their "product" to be delivered in a less then perfect way.

Technology couldn't remain new if it was perfect so all they can hope for is that any new version will be closer to perfect than the last.

However, sometimes its not... so here is an semi-unofficial thanks to the General

I'd think that advertisers would rather their ads appear less-than-perfectly then not at all... I guess it's not their job to think about platforms other than Windows and maybe MacOS, though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'd think that advertisers would rather their ads appear less-than-perfectly then not at all... I guess it's not their job to think about platforms other than Windows and maybe MacOS, though.
The "product" in this case may be Adobe's Flash its own dang self.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Thanks for this; though I wonder why something like this wouldn't have been just pushed as an SSU update? It woyld seem to be the point of SSU for something just like this right?

Indeed, small fixes like that would be better candidates for the early SSU updates, to iron out problems before pushing more major stuff.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i thought this was what the updates button in the browsers component dialog was for...

The link above for the flash update bug fix appears to be broken.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bfleury View Post
The link above for the flash update bug fix appears to be broken.
That it does, I've poked timeless about it, will get back to you when it's fixed.

Anybody happen to have a mirror in the meantime?

Tags
browser, fix, flash