Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
I want to switch from microb to an other browser (at the moment fennec is my favourite).

This means the other browser (for me: fennec) should open if I select a link in modest or mauku or the feed reader or wherever.

Is there any possibility to do this for all applications in a central place?

Me on twitter

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Alas, no. Maemo does not have a central system for this so many apps just hardcode the usage of the default browser to open a link.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
One way to go about this problem is by simply asking one of the many Nokia developers who are within the community and are actively discussing within the community - how we could eventually do it
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You can simply do it by changing what's inside the osso_rpc_async* or osso_rpc_run* functions of your favourite application. This assumes, however, that the program in question is open-source and the browser you wish to change to does not have broken DBUS methods.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
One way to go about this problem is by simply asking one of the many Nokia developers who are within the community and are actively discussing within the community - how we could eventually do it
Thank you for asking the right people at the right place!

I made a enhancement request in the fennec bug tracking system:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499904

Please feel free to comment and correct the entry.

Me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You can simply do it by changing what's inside the osso_rpc_async* or osso_rpc_run* functions of your favourite application. This assumes, however, that the program in question is open-source and the browser you wish to change to does not have broken DBUS methods.
This sounds great. But how do I do this? I'd like Mauku to open URLs in Midori instead of MicroB.

I'm also very interested in this. I wrote a small, rough script that uses dbus-launch to start it. Now I need to know how to implement it.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

dbus-launch midori "$*"

exit 0
Can anyone help us? Point us in the right direction?

@qwerty12 so I'm guessing that to modify osso_rpc_async* or osso_rpc_run* functions we have to get the source code for applications like osso_addressbook, modify it, compile it, and replace what we currently have? --yikes a little out of my leage

Last edited by jdarnell; 2009-07-23 at 22:57.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, you can modify xiojason's script here, but use other means for opening the browser, not dbus. It is a startup proxy after all.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=566

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Well, you can modify xiojason's script here, but use other means for opening the browser, not dbus. It is a startup proxy after all.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=566
Thats perfect! I have it instituted. I changed where it said "tear" for "midori" (as dumb as that sounds) and Midori will launch, but has no clue the arguments I sent it. I tried different things but I'm still lost.

Code:
        os.execl('/usr/bin/dbus-send', 
            '/usr/bin/dbus-send', '--session', '--type=method_call', 
            '--print-reply',
            '--dest=com.nokia.midori', '/com/nokia/midori',
            'com.nokia.midori.OpenAddress', 'string:%s' % uri)
Any suggestions? I've searched for hours here and on Google. Either I suck at searching or no ones wrote about that.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, Midori probably can't be launched with DBus or if it can, then not with these arguments. Try running it with a simple commandline like

Code:
midori url
As far as the commandline help goes, you can probably launch it with several addresses or even with a javascript file.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, default, fennec, microb