Notices

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
New phone and done some of the usual mods to personalise and tweak the phone. Now trying to get a little more performance out of her and looking at freeing up rootfs. So looking at the thread:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

I had run the script a few times and realised for me it made my phone more unstable, particularly the desktop, freezing or not loading correctly. So looking at other parts of that page and hitting a few snags and Q's.

# Moving video on start-up to /home/opt
mkdir -p /home/opt/usr/share/hildon-welcome 2> /dev/null
cp -r /usr/share/hildon-welcome/* /home/opt/usr/share/hildon-welcome
rm -r /usr/share/hildon-welcome
ln -s /home/opt/usr/share/hildon-welcome /usr/share/hildon-welcome

Firstly, do we need a welcome vid? If not I would rather remove it altogether and speed the boot process. What is the safest way to do so?
If not and required, is shifting this likely to create issues or unstability? When I attempted this it through back that the second line copying was copying to the same location?

It also looks at relocating the locale folder, what is in this folder, is it just languages? If not, I only speak and write english, could someone please tell me what to keep or can remove (what ever is easiest.

If you could assist, share some light or offer advice, I would be most appreciative.

Stephen

Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Powatool has a setting to turn off the hands animation mate, it's the only thing I use it for!

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/1...c7e5550e250e2/
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D4rKlar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Since PR1.2, the rootfs space should be far less of an issue (and the old scripts are likely to cause problems unless they've been updated) so I wouldn't bother with that unless you're actually getting errors.

Fair enough then and thanks for the point to the app.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I would advise you this script:
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Tanner#Sa...pace_on_rootfs

This one works without issue on PR 1.2 for me.
(Note that PR 1.2 already contains some optimalizations that this script contains.)

However, rootfs space should no longer be an issue from PR 1.2.

Venemo,
Thanks mate though I think the same scrpit, has the same name as one I used from the other wiki.
Seriously i don't know for sure or specifically what it is though know this much. After using it, I had freezes, icons not loading etc. Reflashed and restored everything approx 4 times and always within a day the same issues occuring.
I have since reflashed and restored everything and been using it now for the whole week and not a glitch. Can only assume it is something in the script. It did comment on icon issues, hence why I tried without.

Thank you anyway.

Does anyone know regarding the locale folder, what is in it, what can be removed or not?