Active Topics

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Why use karma?
On a side note: There may, in the not so distant future, be a problem with generating Karma as it stands today. Depending on what parts of the system migrate, and how that all works, Karma may have to be changed, or a new method determined.

I would encourage everyone in the community to let that kernel sink into their mind, and begin considering alternatives to the Karma system. One of the roles of the next Council may in fact be to find or invent a replacement for Karma, and fix the existing Council rules (via referendum) before the next election cycle.

Karma is actually a really well thought out system, even if it's implementation has "issues" at times. It helps prevent duplicate accounts/votes, and provides a reasonable measuring stick, both to inform users of the level of contribution to the community, and to set minimums for participation in some activities. It would not be easy to replace if part of it were no longer computable, or available for use...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Also of note:

As of yesterday, nominations are open. While your comments on nomination and such are appreciated here, to be official you must submit the nomination to the community mailing list.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Also of note:

As of yesterday, nominations are open. While your comments on nomination and such are appreciated here, to be official you must submit the nomination to the community mailing list.
i take it that the list of eligible members comes from this list up to asys3 on page 25...

is there already a nomination close?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The Karma process is designed to track participation, not just in the forums but in other arenas as well. In fact, giving Karma for participation in the forums was more of an afterthought, since the other services and tools existed before Maemo.org had a forum. (TMO was actually pulled into the existing structure, and before that had been it's own forum, with a separate name.)
This is not true at all. The time frame is 3 months, which considering there are elections every 6 months, is about half the term. The requirements of 10 Karma to vote are actually quite low. (The 100 Karma requirement is to run for office, not to vote.)
All of the requirements were designed to ensure that people running for positions, and those electing them, were valid and real people with at least a few months of knowledge and experience. Without this, anyone could simply create a bunch of fake accounts the day of the election and cast tons of ballots.
Yes most of this was already addressed by prior posts, but thanks for the further detail.

The wording, if you read it, was that we had hopped to have a stable version in place by the 17th, to allow those considering nomination a clear view of their expected role.
Oh I read it, these things can sometime be open to interpretation, which is why I sought clarification, no slight intended whatsoever.

As for the number of people being elected, that can vary. For Council, the number is either 5, or in a special case as few as 3. For the Board, the same process is being used for this cycle. Future cycles will be determined as set forth in the bylaws.
Yep, know this one, but thanks!

On this we disagree. While I would note that taking both roles would consume a large amount of personal time, I see no reason to bar one person from holding two seats. In fact, there could be some advantage in having at least one member who is dual-seated. The roles of the two bodies are quite different though, so finding a person who is qualified in both fields will not be as common.
Agreed. But at the same time the pool of potential candidates is also shrinking. Which would you prefer to see? One person taking two roles, or one taking a single role and having the second role go to someone less qualified, or that only a few people voted for, or perhaps even left empty? The reason the rules for the number being elected are structured they way they are is in part to prevent a defacto election to Council of all those on the ballot if there are only 4 or 5.
It's a question of exactly how it all evolves/unfolds isn't it....
In an ideal world we'd have no one doing dual roles except for maybe one (debatable IMO), & they'd all be suitable for their positions & have popular support.
I guess the best we can do is try to aim for that ideal, & as/if it becomes apparent that's not feasible, THEN we can adsorb more "dual rolers".

The election rules have been in place for quite a long time. These are not something we pulled out of a hat recently.
These election rules have served the community well for some time. This, in part, is why the Board is using/cloning these rules as best it can. It's a known working and validated system.
Yes, I already conceded all that before any response, but thanks for the further detail/background.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i take it that the list of eligible members comes from this list up to asys3 on page 25...

is there already a nomination close?
The nominations just opened on the 15th. As noted in the OP, nominations for both the Council and the Board run until the 28th.

Please, I ask all of you, spread the word on this, and encourage those you think would be good for the position(s) to apply.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Oh I read it, these things can sometime be open to interpretation, which is why I sought clarification, no slight intended whatsoever.
I took none, and hope I didn't give the impression I had. Communicating in written word often doesn't impart mood, which can be problematic.

It's a question of exactly how it all evolves/unfolds isn't it....
In an ideal world we'd have no one doing dual roles except for maybe one (debatable IMO), & they'd all be suitable for their positions & have popular support.
Agreed. But since we don't live in an ideal world, we're explicitly not making it a rule that one must withdraw from one to be in the other. I would hope that most would see being in both will be very time consuming and would not put themselves in that position if they don't have the time, skills, and energy to stand for the term.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Shouldn't we explicitly not make it a (conditional/temporary) rule after things are much clearer? Night.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I submitted a self-nomination to the maemo-community list for Hildon Foundation candidacy, but used the wrong email address so it's being held pending moderator approval. If i need to resubmit using original email address, I can.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
On a side note: There may, in the not so distant future, be a problem with generating Karma as it stands today. Depending on what parts of the system migrate, and how that all works, Karma may have to be changed, or a new method determined.
I have already developed an improved karma method and would be glad to share when the time comes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Shouldn't we explicitly not make it a (conditional/temporary) rule after things are much clearer? Night.
As noted in my reply to misterrc, there are valid reasons for now explicitly forcing one or the other. Please check that posting out and let me know what you think.