Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Just out of curiosity, I want to ask xxxxts what it is more precisely with the n900 that doesn't cut it anymore. Ok, I understand the specs alright, well, at least the cpu is getting a little outdated (think the gpu part is still pretty strong though!).
But if you are the person that doesn't care whether the phone (urrhm, tablet) is somewhat thicker I can't see what it is that you're missing in the n900.
I will stick to my n900 because there is nothing out there that has a linux based OS that is as close to the real thing as the n900. The ssh client and ssh daemon are full featured and the shell feels like the real thing with python, perl, debian packaging and all that good stuff.

For me I gotta say, I have just bought the asus transformer prime tablet, its a droid and after a couple of weeks I have to say that in no way near android feels as good as the n900. Its not real linux I gotta tell you, its just the kernel in the bottom, all else above feels completely alien to me.
I have seen a few physical keyboards also, and they all feel like crap in comparison to the n900.
Look at all the other nice plus'es to brag with that you've got;
Stereo speakers, a table-stand, customizable status led, integrated skype (all other skype "apps" I've seen is a joke).
You got REAL multitasking. You got Qt for development.
Up to 10 desktops. Widgets who are so customizable that they can look like just almost anything (not like the blocky boring iCrap icons).

What the hell? What more could anyone want. There's just nothing out there that cuts it if you take the n900 as a baseline.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
looks like no one is interested in my question
Make your own thread, don't thread jack.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
everybody have their own need and choice, for me i will choose N900 1st, then other for alternative, if N9 prices got lower i will go for n9, for now n9 is unavailable in my country, damn thats suck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Just out of curiosity, I want to ask xxxxts what it is more precisely with the n900 that doesn't cut it anymore. Ok, I understand the specs alright, well, at least the cpu is getting a little outdated (think the gpu part is still pretty strong though!).
But if you are the person that doesn't care whether the phone (urrhm, tablet) is somewhat thicker I can't see what it is that you're missing in the n900.
I will stick to my n900 because there is nothing out there that has a linux based OS that is as close to the real thing as the n900. The ssh client and ssh daemon are full featured and the shell feels like the real thing with python, perl, debian packaging and all that good stuff.

For me I gotta say, I have just bought the asus transformer prime tablet, its a droid and after a couple of weeks I have to say that in no way near android feels as good as the n900. Its not real linux I gotta tell you, its just the kernel in the bottom, all else above feels completely alien to me.
I have seen a few physical keyboards also, and they all feel like crap in comparison to the n900.
Look at all the other nice plus'es to brag with that you've got;
Stereo speakers, a table-stand, customizable status led, integrated skype (all other skype "apps" I've seen is a joke).
You got REAL multitasking. You got Qt for development.
Up to 10 desktops. Widgets who are so customizable that they can look like just almost anything (not like the blocky boring iCrap icons).

What the hell? What more could anyone want. There's just nothing out there that cuts it if you take the n900 as a baseline.
#1 I am on AT&T, without 850 the speeds are very poor.
#2 From the moment I open the camera shutter to the camera application fully opening and ready is around 8 seconds.
#3 No new applications are being developed for Maemo 5, fMobi is most likely one of the best applications on N900 for Facebook and it does not even come close to competing with it's iOS/Android competitors.
#4 I don't have the most BASIC of things, for example: SPELL CHECK. Word had that back in the 1990s! What about voice recognition? Decent navigation?

It just isn't cutting it. I am not one of those guys who likes to have all the newest stuff and neatest stuff. But don't try to tell me that I am doing just fine when I am a poor speller and I see my friends texting with spell check or using voice recognition, or navigation that tells me what the traffic is like. I can go on for a while.

The hardware needs updating and so does the software, apparently Nokia's idea of that was the N9 which is a joke (they obviously agree).

I just wish Nokia would step up and make a phone that actually competes again (like the N900 did with the iPhone 3GS) hardware wise and put the same effort into the software. When I got the N900 Nokia was the #1 phone manufacture in the world, RIM was #2, Apple was #3 - I doubt Nokia is #1 anymore and there is a reason for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Finland - Home of Nokia & Linux
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
#1 I am on AT&T, without 850 the speeds are very poor.
#2 From the moment I open the camera shutter to the camera application fully opening and ready is around 8 seconds.
#3 No new applications are being developed for Maemo 5, fMobi is most likely one of the best applications on N900 for Facebook and it does not even come close to competing with it's iOS/Android competitors.
#4 I don't have the most BASIC of things, for example: SPELL CHECK. Word had that back in the 1990s! What about voice recognition? Decent navigation?
1# It is true that N900 doesn't have support for 850mhz 3g network, but N9 on the other hand does. Fortunately where I live, we have 900 mhz network.
2# From the moment I open the camera shutter on MY N900 it takes roughly 2 seconds to fully load the camera application.
3# That might be the case when it comes to Nokia, but these phones rely hardly on 3rd-party applications. Ovi Suite in N900 is just a big pile of junk in my opinion. If you fancy a great application for Facebook then this is not your phone.

N900 and N9 is not meant for mainstream like iCrap and Android ones.

Just out of curiosity, for what would you possibly use voice recognition in N900? Since it takes about 2 secs to type in the name of who do you want to call it would render voice recognition just about useless since N900 has this great keyboard. Oh, and if you would use it for starting applications I would hardly recommend placing shortcuts to the home screen, in one of the 8? you can possibly have in N900.

N900 supports flash out-of-the-box and N9 with the help of Ovi store and Firefox browser. I'm not sure if iPhones had a flash support? Yes, I know flash is to be deprecated but that will not happen in a few years.

N900 is evidently by far the most easy overclockable phone in the world.

When it comes to hacking with a phone, Nokia wins again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaQ For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks. I realize that we are different kinds of users in a way. None of your four points are important to me. I'm not on AT&T (Sweden), I don't need any quick access to a mobile camera, I don't use facebook at all (not even registered since I don't want to sell my private life or data anywhere on the net). It does have spellchecking in SMS and email, even if it's somewhat simple. I don't need speech recognition to my device because that stuff is usually limited in function and works very poor anyway. Never seen anyone anywhere actually use it. For navigation I use Mobile Maps 10 which is more than good enough.

I do agree the N900 is getting old, but as far as I can see there's no alternative for the software developer type of guy. It does its thing for me and its more than good enough. In fact, my boss switched his N900 for a droid. I have urged him to keep his N900 in case something happens to mine. I will buy it from him in such case.

iCrap is not even on my map. I don't even see that stuff, I'm totally blind to that dumbed down religious junk.

But of course I understand and respect your own point of view on it and it was all I asked for.

I honestly hope you find something that will replace your N900. Maybe you should go for the N9 after all. As I see it, it might actually fit your needs. Its a strong competitor, and after all its the last good stuff from Nokia before that company went insane.

Last edited by Larswad; 2012-03-06 at 22:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Okay guys lets just be honest with ourselves and each other here for a second... I think we all basically want these major things out of our mobile device:

-The ability to do the most stuff
-The ability to get that stuff done the fastest and efficiently

User interfaces and customization is a far second to those two things

The N900 is not able to play with the new stuff, the N9 isn't either. It's simple. Android 4.0 looks promising and there is a possibility with iOS6 that widgets and things of that nature will come about (since lets be honest, Apple just steals ideas).

The iPhone 3GS is able to run iOS5, that alone tops PR 1.2 that we got from Nokia, it even tops all the hard working guys that released CSSU (which I am very thankful for).

As of right now I don't know what Android devices will be upgradable to Android 4.0 but that is a lot more support than Nokia has shown any of us.

So the main argument here is a purist argument, everyone wants the closets thing they can get to Linux on a mobile device with as much openness as possible. What good is any of that if you are not able to do the things you want to do on your device/do them slowly?

Yet again, N900 is not any mainstream phone. I also don't follow you on your statement "The N900 is not able to play with the new stuff, the N9 isn't either". Could you make an example of what N900 does not handle? What is this so called "new stuff", games maybe?

No, it does not play Full HD videos and 720p is just about watchable, but like that would do any difference on that 3.5" screen.

It is understandable that mainstreamers do not like the N900. But power users do, and they really do. There is no phone up to this date that has full support for aircrack-ng including monitor mode and packet injection other than N900, With N9 we are getting there. Yes, there are some videos on youtube cracking wireless keys with iPhone but they are merely sample packages containing enough IV's to successful crack. There are no monitor mode in those things not to mention packet injection and in my opinion there never will. That was just one example of N900's uniqueness.

One really cool thing about N900 is that it has fully working FM-transmitter. And keyboard that over rules any on-screen keyboard. Period

Overclocking capabilites of N900 are still bleeding edge. In addition to CPU overclocking you can also overclock DSP (Digital Signal Processor) that affects video playback performance under most circumstances. Also, it is possible to change voltage settings.

N900 also does great job in tethering. This is something I use everyday. Also there is large variety of pentest tools for N900 that I use quite often. Yet again a property for power users like me.

If we continue being honest, most apps for Android and iOS are just a pile of crap that may amuse you for 15 minutes. When it comes to iPhone, it certainly does not do "the most stuff", not even close. It may do "some stuff" efficiently and that is just about it.

I have never complained about N900 being slow doing the tasks I hand for it nor I never will because I know this phone is unique and has a place in my heart for the rest of my life.

Now it is time to end this manifest and get some beer. Maybe even play some Bounce and Snake with this splendorous peace of electronics.

Last edited by Nuuskis; 2012-03-07 at 02:03.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuuskis For This Useful Post:
Nuuskis, I couldn't agree with you more, you hit the spot!
Especially I can agree that most apps for Android and iOS are just a pile of worthless crap with ads or pricetags sticked to them, they indeed ARE. On android I have not yet seen a good alternative to a terminal with ssh and scp support and believe me I have checked them all. Even if it existed a good terminal I wouldn't have any support for python or perl where I can whenever I want do some small script for a specific task.
You can with minor effort port a linux application directly to maemo, and it just work. Can't see the like of that anywhere.
The n900 is in fact a portable COMPUTER with a phone feature.
The rest of the market are just dumb "smart phones", whatever they are supposed to be, I don't know. People are carrying around dumbed down phones with colorful iconsets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
some of you guys have so much tunnel vision.... lars i am laughing so much at your last post right now...

how about this... i open the door and let some light into your dark little world....

... how do you access mobile services from a third party provider with the n900 ? i trade shares/fx - how do I do that on the n900 ? no broker has release a trading platform for maemo. You expect me to use a clunky web interface (lolers) ?

or internet banking - how do I do that on the n900 ? do i have to use the website and squint on that little screen to click links ? example here in Australia we have ANZ goMoney app - i can do most of my banking on the bus and do stuff like pay to mobile...

or what happens if I need to open and edit business documents ? you want me to load up open office ? lol

most of my friends are on whatsapp - what do i do with the n900 ? make them move back to msn ? yea the majority should accomodate the minority...

do i need to mention games ? or good navigation ? list goes on and on....

the only thing that n900 offer is pure linux functionality and multitasking - thats it. just because there is alot of **** on the android/ios markets does not mean that its all ****... talk about focusing on a strawman.

From a functionality PoV (who really gives a SH1t about FOSS outside of the fanatics?) the n900 is in the stone age. The "dumb smart phones" have everyday functionality that normal ppl actually use. you know, the ppl you actually see out there walking on the street.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

i honestly am not sure if some of you guys are serious about what you type or you just pulling my leg... lololol some of you guys are so out of touch... no wonder FOSS mobile never gets anywhere if it is ppl like you who drive it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post: