Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I finally got the new version to work. Thanks Copernicus, prosper, et al who helped make this happen. I'd forgotten that this was fixed since I posted last, probably due to excessive family medical excitement at the time . . . but anyway . . .

I had to re-authenticate the application with Flickr to get it to work, which I guess sounds reasonable since the program had changed. But that was a bit of a pain. I'd hit the button to launch the authorization web page, then I'd click the OK on the web page to authorize and the code would appear. Unfortunately, it would almost instantly disappear to be replaced with a 404 message.

I couldn't memorize the nine-digit code that fast, so first thing I tried to do to solve this was to start ShotMee screen capture program and try to double-tap the phone just as the code appeared. No luck, I couldn't get the operation synced with my tapping and I only got before and after shots, not the code screen.

So I got out my camcorder, pointed it at the screen, started recording and re-initiated the authorization process. It worked, I got a legible freeze-frame and I plugged in the code. Would it be valid, given that the Flickr auth page had somehow gotten screwed up? Yes, it worked. I'm back in.

"Where am I?" now seems to give me results much further away than before. I can't tell if this is a Flickr change that causes this, or if all the nearby pictures have been removed or hidden on Flickr, or if some other code changes in the source occurred other than Copernicus' SSL code changes. Still cool, but not quite as personal as before.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Unfortunately, as I've mentioned before, I'm kind of coding blind on this one; I have no N9, and no N9 emulator, so I can't actually see what the code does.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I'd hit the button to launch the authorization web page, then I'd click the OK on the web page to authorize and the code would appear. Unfortunately, it would almost instantly disappear to be replaced with a 404 message.
That is quite a pain! Hmm. It may be that I managed to get some links updated to use SSL, but missed others. Or, that the Flickr API has changed in the last few years... I'll try to investigate.

"Where am I?" now seems to give me results much further away than before. I can't tell if this is a Flickr change that causes this, or if all the nearby pictures have been removed or hidden on Flickr, or if some other code changes in the source occurred other than Copernicus' SSL code changes. Still cool, but not quite as personal as before.
I doubt any code changes of significance have happened in the Quickflickr code for this. But, again, the API might have changed...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I don't think QuickFlickr is responsible for the hassle authenticating, and I doubt it could do anything to prevent it, since the problem seems to be after QuickFlickr has handed off the authentication URL to grob. So I'm inclined to point the finger at the Flickr website's authentication handling.

As far as "Near Me" goes, I've been looking at little more at that. The results I get from m.flickr.com are quite different than those I get from QuickFlickr. (For one thing, no naked guys on the website version.) The mobile website -- when granted position access -- does find my correct location on the map, and loads up pictures closer to my position than QuickFlickr. As you say, the API might have changed, and I'd believe it. After all, the SSL change they made caused all this trouble in the first place. And they only announced that in some tiny blog post, by occasionally switching the website API back and forth, and allegedly in emails to registered developers that many developers don't recall getting. So again, I'd blame Flickr first of all the possibilities.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Poland
that's true, although the coordinates seem accurate, I also get images from a distant locations (like 5-10 km or so).
on the other hand, I didn't have any problems with authentication as I already had previous version installed. your way was thrilling, but I'm glad you persevered in your efforts : )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
that's true, although the coordinates seem accurate, I also get images from a distant locations (like 5-10 km or so).
Coordinates for my location are the same for m.flickr.com as they are with QuickFlickr as well. So far the most distant photo I've seen was over 26km away!

For some reason, I'm glad that the strange naked folks were far away, genuine strangers and not neighbors known to me, whereas the true nearby results yielded more mundane and familiar scenes, like a local model train display.

I may try changing default browsers and repeating the authentication process to see if it's a grob-specific issue with the website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Poland
btw. can you operate in landscape mode? after the update I've lost this functionality. it works in FlickUp just fine.

Originally Posted by prosper View Post
btw. can you operate in landscape mode? after the update I've lost this functionality. it works in FlickUp just fine.
No, it doesn't rotate to landscape when I turn the device. I do recall that while it rotated before, the functionality was buggy. IIRC, I got a white bar at the bottom of the screen and lost the function swiper -- or something like that, it's been a while.