Poll: Is this on or off-topic?
Poll Options
Is this on or off-topic?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://bit.ly/SruY2

Um... wow. Where to start?

This worries me quite a bit. Seems like desperation and I sincerely hope that things aren't that bleak yet for Nokia.

Anyone think they might win? I haven't a clue.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
This is very interesting. Apple fanboys will just say that nokia is worried about apple's success. I would think the same.... if not why not bring thnis suit up earlier?

I hope apple loses

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Nokia seems to always have something like this going on (with either Nokia suing or someone else suing Nokia). Following the news, it seems it's not possible to do a mobile phone without using other companies' technology and paying royalties here and there. Apple has the short stick, since they are brand new to the game and can't have a very comprehensive set of phone-related patents.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Nokia's finally decided to take a bite out of Apple, eh?

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Not desperation at all-- companies must defend their patents or risk losing the value of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
IP is what makes any company worth something. Nokia needs to be sure that there has been a violation before you sue someone. I have to say it is quite ballsy to knowingly infringe on patents on your core devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Seems like desperation and I sincerely hope that things aren't that bleak yet for Nokia.
Desperation? Rather not. Probably Nokia wanted to use some technology patented by Apple, was refused and now want to monetize on its own patents.
Business as usual.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
My totally uneducated speculation: defensive case for introducing multitouch in Maemo 6 and Symbian ^4.

After Apple sues Nokia for infringing their multitouch patents, sneaky and filthy rich lawyers will do somekind of agreement to drop both cases.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I kinda hope Apple loses. As someone said somewhere else about this, Apple is so new to phone business that it's patent portfolio on cellular technologies is bound to be slimmer. UI-wise it might be better than Nokia's, but this is not about that. Yet.

As matthewcc said, Nokia needs to be sure about this before they sue anybody. And it might be, that they let Apple develop base of customers that they cannot afford to develop their own versions of questioned technologies in fear of losing ground while doing so.

In any case, I can't wait to see the outcome of this one. And, desperation? So just to show people who think Nokia is desperate, they should let Apple infringe those patents?
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i would not call it desperation companies like nokia don't go accusing rivals openly about this kind of thing without looking into it very deeply.
why wait 2 years? to build a strong case and look at all the technology being used by apple before revealing amount of patent infringements they believe are being commited, its not something what can be done in a month and when lawyers are involved these things take a very long time.

Tags
apple, intellectual property, lawsuit, nokia, nonsense magnet, patent infringement