Notices

Is there a way to sync the contacts on my internet tablet with my google contatcs?

I have just found out that it is possible to sync with the google calendar (e.g. with mcalendar). Would be nice too integrate google contacts too.

Regards,

Lori Schlank

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
The only way I know and have used is exporting your contacts from Gmail...

The problem is that the contact manager cannot handle large contact lists, so you have to do it 20 by 20 (maybe 50, I don't remember clearly)

You can export from Google, and import into the N800, but I don't know of a real sync method. There is at least one person who has said he is going to work on it, but I've seen no results yet. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I have no satisfactory method for doing this but I use GPE Calendar and GPE Contacts with Ermining to sync multiple calendars to google.

I have all of my contacts sync'd on my Mac and then regularly delete the GPE contacts on the N810 and re-import. I rarely add multiple contacts when I am out so this method works for me.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I'm a linux user so I also run the GPE applications on my desktop. I can transfer the raw sqlite data bases for these applications between the N810 and my Ubuntu desktop. Not quite syncing at a transaction level but works for me. In my case the N810 is my primary PIM data entry device which makes sync by file transfer a viable option. I also use Google Calendar and erminig on the N810 does the syncing on a transaction level with Google.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Last edited by fragos; 2009-01-05 at 19:47.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
If you use a conduit like ScheduleWorld, you can sync Gmail contacts to your tablet via the command line tool Syncevolution. It works pretty well, as far as I've seen so far.

See http://www.estamos.de/projects/SyncML/index.html for more info.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I'm a linux user so I also run the GPE applications on my desktop. I can transfer the raw sqlite data bases for these applications between the N810 and my Ubuntu desktop. Not quite syncing at a transaction level but works for me. In my case the N810 is my primary PIM data entry device which makes sync by file transfer a viable option. I also use Google Calendar and erminig on the N810 does the syncing on a transaction level with Google.
@Fragos

Which flavor of Linux? (does it matter?)

Do you think this would work on andLinux for those of us stuck in MS Land?

Thanks

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
@Fragos

Which flavor of Linux? (does it matter?)

Do you think this would work on andLinux for those of us stuck in MS Land?

Thanks
I run Ubuntu which has prebuilt packages for all the GPE applications. I can't speak to other flavors of Linux but I'm sure yopu could download the GPE source and compile yourself.

I gave up on Windows many years ago. A Windows user can install Ubuntu so that you choose Windows or Ubuntu at boot time. Just boot your Windows ssystem with Ubuntu in your CD drive and follow the simple instructions to build a dual boot with an existing Windows sytem. There is also something with Ubuntu called Wubi which I understand will install Ubuntu to be run from Windows.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@Fragos

Thank you! I will be trying out the andLinux as it is an Ubuntu distro and if that doesn't work I'll probably install it in a VM.

I tried a couple of years ago to make the switch to Linux and run XP as a VM, but my Wife couldn't break out of the MS mold.

Thanks again!
Snoshrk

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Multisync 0.90 (available in Ubuntu 8.10's repositories - that's multisync0.90, not the stable one) can sync wirelessly from GPE to Evolution on the local machine. Using Conduit, you could sync Google contacts with your Evolution contacts, then with GPE via multisync. A bit ugly, so hopefully your contacts don't change much.

Conduit under Maemo also supports synchronizing contacts stored in its own Evolution database (accessed in the Contacts app or Pimlico Contacts), which can be done wirelessly or directly with Google.

Edit:
Woah, I didn't notice this! You can create a new Address Book in Evolution on Ubuntu 8.10 that ties straight to Google, so no need for the extra synchronization step.

The Following User Says Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post: