What programs support offline routing besides the wayfinder gps that comes with the n810?

I'm pretty sure there aren't any. At least there wasn't the last time I checked.

Unfortunately none that I'm aware of. This is something that I've been hoping for for awhile now.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You probably know that MaemoMapper supports downloading maps of a region and routes ahead of time, then using the maps and routes while offline. But you have to be prepared; you have to know what you need before going offline.

Yeah, that's the problem. For me, I'd want a larger area, but that takes up TOO much space. And pre-routing doesn't make sense to me either --- in that case, it's faster just to print out directions from Yahoo or Google maps. That's why I use Maemo Mapper with my cell phone to download on the fly --- not preferable, but better than nuthin'.

Roadnav does offline routing, but I don't think it has been ported to Maemo. Navit is also supposed to do it, and there has been some porting activity. Do a forum search for both and see what the current status is.

Confirmed on this end that Navit works!
Having said that, it's pretty loose around the edges; obviously a young program, as simply adding a map involves editing a config file as root.

Still, I was quite impressed by how quickly it opened (instant!) and then calculated / updated my route. Searching locations is near impossible so far, but if you can find the coordinates and click on them it works out. Work in progress, but fun for geeks. Oh, and it uses OpenStreetMap, which is awesome

The Maemo Garage project page has .deb downloads:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/navit/

...and here is the fellow who works on the Maemo port:
http://tecdencia.net/navit/

I tried Navit, but could not get it to work. Tho, it does seem like a promising app.

navit hasnt been updated since....may I think?

Any other alternatives?

Well if you fancy updating Navit I'm sure people will be pleased, the upstream project is still working.