Active Topics

Talkster today announced that they are releasing a new application by next month that will be interfaced with Facebook so Facebook members can call other members, anywhere for free. From James Wanless, Talkster Co-Founder and COO:"Talkster's Free World Dialing application for Facebook lets you call other Facebook users all over the world simply by selecting them from your friends list. Because you may not be comfortable sharing your phone number with some of the people you have in your friends list, Talkster never exposes your personal phone number. Couple this privacy element with our free long distance, international and conference calling features, and we believe the global Facebook community is going to love talking with Talkster."Facebook members just need to setup their Talkster Free World Application app on Facebook, select members to call, and even add other phone numbers outside Facebook for group calls. Members can transparently call other memebrs wether they are on a mobile phone, landline, or any voice capable IM service like Google Talk, Yahoo!, AOL, or MSN. infoSync reports that Talkster can be used together with the Nokia N810 (OS 2008). Our pre-release Nokia N810 doesn't have this application so we are not sure if Talkster will be bundled on the the N810 when it is released next month. In any case, Talkster will be another great communication app on the Maemo platform, joining Google Talk, Skype, and Gizmo. [via infoSync]
Read the full article.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Read the full article.
Wow this is frickin awesome.... can we call both cell phones and landlines?? Does the other friend have to be online??
If this is true as it is.... this is by far the killer app.....

There you go nokia...

from the press release, it looks like you can call anyone on anything.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Wow this is frickin awesome.... can we call both cell phones and landlines?? Does the other friend have to be online??
If this is true as it is.... this is by far the killer app.....

There you go nokia...
Isnt talkster only some kind of party line that happens to feature a clever invite mechanism? From what I understand (but I could be wrong, pls correct me), it's not VoIP or any "application", for that matter - so no "killer application", either. (Also, as I understand it, there's no reason it should or should not work specifically with any Nokia Internet Tablet, it just happens to be mentioned in one article.)

the calling procedure looks to be a bit of a pain, but it is free. of course, you'll still be charged for a local call, so it's useless unless you're making an international call to a friend in one of the listed countries. the list of countries it can be used in is still pretty limited. http://www.talkster.com/Countries.aspx
i can't think of any reason that talkster couldn't be used on any computer or internet tablet. from what i can tell, skype or some other voip service (or a regular phone) would need to be used to make the call after talkster sends you and your friend dedicated phone numbers. am i wrong?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
Skype's got the same kind of deal cooking with MySpace.