Poll: Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?
Poll Options
Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by archl View Post
The screen of N900 it have a feature few people know to use, as I saw none of the video recorded use this:

Imagine you want to flip to left workspace/desktop, put one finger on screen - better left side, hold there and quickly put another on its right of the screen, then raise the left one. See, thats how easy to quick switch, no need to against swipe resistance.
That's plain b-cuz N900's resistive touch screen, basically every resistive device has that. The movement emulates a fast "swipe" (when you put 2 fingers on a single-touch resistive screen, the actual action point is sitting in the middle)

Time to move on. If you can't afford an N950, and don't know how/where to fetch a Jolla, then head for Android reluctantly, or you're stuck. Seriously.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Beijing, China
Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
is anyone here to support?????
Hmm, I thought the forum has only ~100 days to go b4 it's shut for good. Even devs come, 100 days would be a limit. And will they?

Time to move on. If you can't afford an N950, and don't know how/where to fetch a Jolla, then head for Android reluctantly, or you're stuck. Seriously.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by AndyYan View Post
Hmm, I thought the forum has only ~100 days to go b4 it's shut for good. Even devs come, 100 days would be a limit. And will they?
That's totally wrong! Please don't spread dis-information without knowing full facts!

By the end of this year, Nokia will give up on Maemo.org (including TMO) but there is a NFP being created which will continue to run this place...So it won't make too much of a difference to the common user here...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Isn't there some sort of hardware magic at the sides of the screen too? I think I read somewhere that it's also sensitive to the touch so swiping actually starts from the edge.
Not really, it's all software. The window manager just creates some fake "transparent"/InputOnly window over all the edges and detects drags that start from there. It would be trivially easy to reimplement (IMHO).

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Not really, it's all software. The window manager just creates some fake "transparent"/InputOnly window over all the edges and detects drags that start from there. It would be trivially easy to reimplement (IMHO).
And AIUI it can be not a part of the WM even, maybe an application sitting on the top of all other windows could do the job too.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
... As a start, we don't necessarily need the fancy transition effect, just something that will detect that gesture and then bring up the app launcher or task switcher or desktop.
You say you have:
Try wayv: http://ubuntuone.com/3B9UUAfLEm8LAwP53B1Kjx or gestikk.
Maybe we could compile "lipstick" on maemo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeTOXaJiHTY

The Following User Says Thank You to riv64 For This Useful Post:
Along these lines, does anyone know a command (terminal or dbus) to open the application menu?
I've searched and searched these forums and haven't come up with it. I was just sure I had read it somewhere before.

The command to bring up the task switcher is:
Code:
dbus-send /com/nokia/hildon_desktop com.nokia.hildon_desktop.exit_app_view

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
i think swipe can be ported with the hekp of this thread talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86822