Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So it finally happened. I became a crash test dummy today. I parked the car, unmounted the phone from the dashboard and went to the pay machine to buy the ticket. And then it happened. I dropped the blighter. From about the breast hight (~150 cm). It fell completely unhindered, hit the kerb edge-on, bounced, made a salto mortale and fell on the concrete where it finally rolled to a halt. The result? Two dents, both on the front metal bezel. One next to the volume down button and one close to the microphone. Other than that, it looks and works perfectly. So much for the complaints about "poor" build quality.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
So it finally happened. I became a crash test dummy today. I parked the car, unmounted the phone from the dashboard and went to the pay machine to buy the ticket. And then it happened. I dropped the blighter. From about the breast hight (~150 cm). It fell completely unhindered, hit the kerb edge-on, bounced, made a salto mortale and fell on the concrete where it finally rolled to a halt. The result? Two dents, both on the front metal bezel. One next to the volume down button and one close to the microphone. Other than that, it looks and works perfectly. So much for the complaints about "poor" build quality.
Lucky you!

Normally to have scientifiaclly verified results independent parties should repeat the experiment and compare notes on the outcome.
I won't volunteer to repeat that, though

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Are you 100% sure there's no cracks on the screen? I haven't seen any complaints about poor build quality. I'm just curious.

Also, do you think it would exhibit the same behavior if you dropped it on tile? IIRC, tile is harder than concrete.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Luck has nothing to do With build quality. It is two completely different things. I have read that on worldwideweb. Im happy that we now have a droptest thread. Thx.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
Are you 100% sure there's no cracks on the screen?
Positive. I have to confess though that it has a screen protector. Just a stick-on foil, nothing else.

Also, do you think it would exhibit the same behavior if you dropped it on tile? IIRC, tile is harder than concrete.
Absolutely no idea. Feel free to test it for us.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Can we get a look at the damage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
Can we get a look at the damage?
Been busy all day today and now it's too dark. But stand by, I will try during the week. Not that there is much to see though.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Italy
My Jolla falls 2 or 3 times, one of that on the asphalt (), I have literally "blunted" the white other half, but the phone itself (the metal part) have only a little dent near the bottom left edge. Now I have changed the TOH with Aloe one (very nice) and bought the Insmat case so I hope that if it appens again I can stay a bit more relaxed...

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
I dropped mine around three months after I bought it, still pretty new.
From a bike, on a paved road. It fell from my pocket, so say 1.20m?
There are a couple of dents on the corners, and a scratch on the frame.
The glass however is still perfect, event after skidding a meter or sp on the stone slabs.

Tags
drop test