Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Why do you guys always start this crying about the N9 and Nokia's plans? MeeGo is an open-source train speeding downhill, Intel cut the brake-lines and ST-Ericsson is pushing it from behind with another locomotive. Elop couldn't stop the train if he wanted, he might as well stay on for the ride. Too much is already invested, and the end of the journey is in sight. If we find out he is insane and has decided to jump, we just have to wait for Intel and ST-Ericsson to sell us one of their fine devices instead. It doesn't really matter, I'm not worried about the state of MeeGo 5 years from now, I just want a new phone this year, and I hope to have a few choices from the MeeGo camp...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
I have only two problems with the (current) N900:

1: Battery life. Having to charge sometimes every day is _not_ good.

2: The built-in GPS. Assisted GPS is just a pain in the neck. Where I need GPS I can't go online to get the 'assist' to get it to lock.

So, what I would want from a 2nd generation N900 is simply:

1) A higher-capacity battery. The problem is of course to find room for it. But just going to a 1500mAh battery would probably help a lot (due to more than just the increased time to discharge). I've tried both a 1320 mAh and 1500 mAh battery in my N800 and the difference is huge.

2) A proper GPS chip, not A-GPS.

Unfortunately the list of features in the previous postings will _decrease_ battery life instead, so I don't want any of that!

Edit:
p.s. And let an _engineer_ design how the micro-USB should be attached to the motherboard this time please..

I think whatever road Elop goes he should prove he appreciates the community we have here, we who have helped make the n900 what it is against all odds...and give us all the next model in line of nokia's strategy free if he can get us on side then it will be smooth sailing from then on and he takes with him a large community of developers and techie's ready to recommend his phone to non-techie colleagues when asked at the office water cooler.

The Following User Says Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
There is no new hardware needed.

The applications have to be more efficient. 256M is a lot!
If the applications use less memory they will also be faster because there is less memory to transfer.

I'm happy with my resistive screen. A software emulation is needed.

A compass can be programmed by radio transmitter and receiver.

There is not enough software support for accelerated graphics. This would make the n900 faster and less memory would be needed.

Everything is only a problem of software improvement that aren't done.
There are still many software optimations that are still missing.

Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
A compass can be programmed by radio transmitter and receiver.
The obligatory: No fvckin' way.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm beginning to be convinced by the OP in this thread.

MeeGo is not ready. Nokia needs something quick. Why not an improved N900? I have pretty much sworn to leave Nokia behind, but for a better N900 I would stay...

I myself, like many I'm sure, am perfectly happy with Maemo and have zero interest in Meego. Not to knock Meego; I'm sure it'll turn out to be great.

It's just that, for my needs, Maemo is perfect.

What's not so perfect is 256mb ram. Someone mentioned that it was enough, but that's insanity.

Here's the thing. For a phone 256mb is more than sufficient. But I use my n900 as a computer first, and a phone second (again, like many).

Trying to fit a full mail client, media player, web browser, and flash into 256mb ram is a challenge as it is. 512mb ram would increase the snappiness of the device 10-fold. Not just because it would virtually eliminate the need to swap, but because it would allow a reasonably sized disk cache to hide the fact that the onboard storage is so slow.

I was going to mention battery life, but since I've got the Mugen battery, life is good. I actually prefer the new size/weight. I don't like light or thin phones since I find them difficult to hold. Maybe Nokia could OEM 2400mah batteries as an option, and include a proper extended rear cover with lens cover.

Anyway, I think I will make an online petition, pass it to them, and just see what they say. 99.9% chance it goes nowhere, but hey, you never know.

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-02-11 at 18:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9, webos