Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Ehehehe, I kinda like the guy, cracks me up.
TBH I'm yet to see any real contribution as such.
In fairness though, I may have missed it...

I'm switching to weekly emails for this thread.
Need to get my life back, happy speculating everyone

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-06 at 15:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ holland
Good news
the belgium nokia site show the N9 and it's not in the list of availability...
hope will come in August

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hayman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
A good news for Meego OS & N9 sales ?

http://twitter.com/#!/nokia/status/88547739448782849

@Nokia : The first volume shipments for Nokia phone with Windows Phone OS are expected that start early next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to dtergens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I hate to nitpick, but that would mean purchasing:
  • microUSB adapter
  • flash drive
  • Samsung LCD (or any LCD that supports flash drives)
Instead of just having one HDMI cable that connects to most any TV or (new) monitor that supports HDMI.

I fail to see the convenience.
I agree that HDMI is A LOT more convenient, but that's my setup already. Samsung Lcd's & flash drives to play content. I don't really plan on using my mobile device as a driver for content anyways. No worries ....

Last edited by scapegoat845; 2011-07-06 at 17:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sigh, I'm not telling you to like anything.
But the tone of your posts 99.99% of the time consist of:
Nokia's ****, the platform's ****, the software's ****, the hardware's ****, yadda yadda.
We get your point... We really do!

Why not wait till you have the device in your hands & can compare it directly to other highend's?
Or at least until others can do that thoroughly for us....

Most folks are subscribed to this thread so that they can the obtain the "last pieces" WRT hw/software/availability/pricing.
And then (so long as pricing's not crazy & delivery isn't horridly delayed) they're already sold & ready to start assessing it.

Nothing personal but you don't want to add anything to the thread, other than constantly trying to prove why "it's ****".
I personally just want to find out more about it... but it's a free world I guess!
Here's the problem with "getting it in my hands"... I won't buy it based on what I've seen/read so far, I very unlikely to ever see one (thus far, I still haven't even touched an N900 because nobody owns one and you can't find them anywhere anyway, much less the new N9), and there is NO way for me to be able to hold one "in my hands" if there is no Nokia presence in stores. The latter point being one of my biggest criticisms about the degradation of their brand name--hence the negativity to that point. The reviews I've read all sound glowy but yet depressing. None of the things they glow about are particularly interesting to me (or to most of the people I've talked to offline either). I remember everyone here in reality-land being far more impressed with the 770 and the N8x0's than with the N9, although we began to lose a LOT of faith once we owned them and began to deal with the company and realized we weren't getting the awesome whiz-bang device we thought we'd bought and began to get treated badly by the company. So yep--you're going to see a lot of that coming from me until I can see some positive change. I'm just telling it as I see it... and I can't "hold it in my hands" to see it any better and I'm not wasting any more of my own money on Nokia promises, like I did before.

As for finding out more about it and contributing... Maybe it's time you took some of your own advice and stopped trying to criticize me for pointing things out and trying to get a good reason to even consider it. Give me a reason to like it. How about you contribute by asking more questions and pointing out what you like and don't like, and stop picking on me for trying to probe for COMPETENT and COMPELLING features from what this device is supposed to be. So far, it doesn't impress and it doesn't compete very well with other devices out there--even compared to its "predecessor" the N900, except for maybe the AMOLED screen, and I'm seeing fewer reasons to like it. Especially as someone that jumped onboard to the "real Linux experience" I bought into some time ago when I first jumped into this roller coaster. Indeed, though, I suppose it is a free world.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Here's the problem with "getting it in my hands"... I won't buy it based on what I've seen/read so far, I very unlikely to ever see one (thus far, I still haven't even touched an N900 because nobody owns one and you can't find them anywhere anyway, much less the new N9), and there is NO way for me to be able to hold one "in my hands" if there is no Nokia presence in stores. The latter point being one of my biggest criticisms about the degradation of their brand name--hence the negativity to that point. The reviews I've read all sound glowy but yet depressing. None of the things they glow about are particularly interesting to me (or to most of the people I've talked to offline either). I remember everyone here in reality-land being far more impressed with the 770 and the N8x0's than with the N9, although we began to lose a LOT of faith once we owned them and began to deal with the company and realized we weren't getting the awesome whiz-bang device we thought we'd bought and began to get treated badly by the company. So yep--you're going to see a lot of that coming from me until I can see some positive change. I'm just telling it as I see it... and I can't "hold it in my hands" to see it any better and I'm not wasting any more of my own money on Nokia promises, like I did before.

As for finding out more about it and contributing... Maybe it's time you took some of your own advice and stopped trying to criticize me for pointing things out and trying to get a good reason to even consider it. Give me a reason to like it. How about you contribute by asking more questions and pointing out what you like and don't like, and stop picking on me for trying to probe for COMPETENT and COMPELLING features from what this device is supposed to be. So far, it doesn't impress and it doesn't compete very well with other devices out there--even compared to its "predecessor" the N900, except for maybe the AMOLED screen, and I'm seeing fewer reasons to like it. Especially as someone that jumped onboard to the "real Linux experience" I bought into some time ago when I first jumped into this roller coaster. Indeed, though, I suppose it is a free world.
man all u do is just talk how bad nokia is how maemo sucks compare to android ! this is talk.maemo.org not talk.andorid so quit trolling

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vegas27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
So far, it doesn't impress and it doesn't compete very well with other devices out there
Why should everyone here try to come up with reasons for you to get this device. If the device does not suit your use case, do not get it. You allege it does not compete well with other devices, which is of course also subjective and based on your personal use cases with this device. So fine, danramos, this is not the device for you.

What do you think you are adding to the discussion about this device by just endlessly repeating that fact over and over again? It is getting old. It is unnecessary. We know it is not the device for you. Fine. We know Nokia has made it very difficult for you to be one of their happy consumers. We all know that. Fine. We know you went with Android, and are happier there. Fine.

Can you now please stop trying to make this thread be about you and just get on with it?

Ontopic: Love what I have seen of the device so far. Vodafone salesguy told me they will carry it in the Netherlands. Seems it will be available in Belgium as well. Austria on all carriers. So my guess is it will be avaialable in other countries that were not listed online. Great news!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to NOMOS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Give me a reason to like it.
Why would anybody care if you like it

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
He kinda looks like the Android robot

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vegas27 View Post
man all u do is just talk how bad nokia is how maemo sucks compare to android ! this is talk.maemo.org not talk.andorid so quit trolling
Is there a unified forum like talk.android? I wouldn't mind it becoming my regular.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????