Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
I just submitted my entries.. But having a hard time deciding which app to select..
Could we include two apps in one entry?
Regards..

Sorry, but...
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
... http://apps.formeego.org serves the purpose of betatesting.
... no it doesn't. apps.formeego.org imho aims to be a free, full-featured alternative to Ovi/Nokia store, not a staging or beta testing platform for Ovi/Nokia store. apps.formeego.org has its own testing "repository" in which apps are placed for undergoing some community driven quality assurance before being promoted to the "public" repository.

I am sure you didn't mean it that way. But, honestly, this sounds a little like abusing apps.formeego.com as staging/beta platform.

Ideally, we would have all apps published on both apps.formeego.org and Nokia store in order to offer the best user experience to all users. Please don't get me wrong and I might be a little picky right now. However, the way you wrote it sounds a little deprecatingly like that apps.formeego.org only serves as beta/staging/low-quality repository for apps that will eventually get pushed to Nokia store which is imho not the case. From my perspective apps.formeego.org is a community driven effort to provide a free alternative to Nokia store.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
I have some ideas from new apps, and as I understand I should post them in the coding competition, right?
But I've already post a last.fm player here a few weeks ago.
If I put this app in nokia store, can I participate here o what?
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
apps.formeego.org has its own testing "repository" in which apps are placed for undergoing some community driven quality assurance before being promoted to the "public" repository.
Right. This is what I meant. Well said.

(Background: several years ago I was one of the people involved in the creation of maemo.org Downloads, with ideas like devel - testing - stable, community QA process, user rating & comments, karma for apps in homepage and listings... apps.formeego.org is an evolution of that concept. All this only to explain how much I agree with your post - sorry for being unclear in my single short sentence before).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
I have some ideas from new apps, and as I understand I should post them in the coding competition, right?
But I've already post a last.fm player here a few weeks ago.
If I put this app in nokia store, can I participate here o what?
New apps go to Code Competition. Current apps still not in the Nokia Store go here. Your last.fm app is a good candidate here (but I wonder if it will go through the Store QA with that use of the Last.fm logo/trademark - unless you do comply with their guideline or have their permission).

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bibek View Post
I just submitted my entries.. But having a hard time deciding which app to select..
Could we include two apps in one entry?
Regards..
Sure.

10chars

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 1,260 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Poland
Hmm, where can I apply with Camdrive?

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
I'm wondering if perhaps I'm not really eligible for this particular program, since I'm planning on submitting to the store eventually anyway (once I've been able to fix these problems in one form or another)?
Well, I've added an application for it, I'll leave it up to your discretion as to whether it's appropriate or not. Then if it's accepted I'll do the odd bits and pieces I need to comply with the store QA (privacy policy, etc.) and submit the less reliable version to the store until it can be improved.

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
New apps go to Code Competition. Current apps still not in the Nokia Store go here. Your last.fm app is a good candidate here (but I wonder if it will go through the Store QA with that use of the Last.fm logo/trademark - unless you do comply with their guideline or have their permission).
AFAIK I can use it in a non-commercial application
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I'd like to have qgil opinion about applying to this "2012 Device Program: New Apps for Nokia Store" :

- "Python-SymPy" for Harmattan where :
* the Harmattan version would be improved like the "SymPy Interactive Shell" for Maemo 5, i.e., with added icon, dependencies (including Terminal and IPython) and submitted to Nokia Store;
* the Maemo 5 version has more than 20 thousand downloads since February 2012, more than 50 thousand since October 2011;
* being easy to install (available in Maemo.org repositories or Nokia Store) and easy to use (visible icon) have shown that even a console/terminal software can be very useful with thousands of downloads. So I think it is important to submit SymPy Interactive Shell (Harmattan version) to Nokia Store;
* is it ok to apply here ?

- "Limit / Integral / Derivative" for Harmattan :
* can be very popular because for Maemo 5 they have more than 150 thousand downloads of last versions in the last 7 months (46k for Limit, 57k for Integral, 51k for Derivative);
* packaged together as "Calculus" including python-sympy because Nokia Store doesn't accept external dependencies (python-sympy with 19MB), so it is better to have only one installation taking aprox. 20 MB than 3 (Limit + Derivative + Integral) taking each 20MB, where the typical user installs these three softwares;
* they are available to Maemo 4 & 5, not yet for Harmattan;
* but Limit for Harmattan is ready for months (very fast Qt Quick UI, with pitch to zoom, etc), despite its icon, so the .deb is not public. It is because I've waited for external dependencies in AppsForMeeGo, which was promised since December 2011. So I am working on "Calculus" (Limit+Derivative+Integral+python-sympy = aprox. 20 MB), which would be good to submit to Nokia Store;
* this "Calculus" can be applied here or would be better to "Maemo.org coding competition 2012" ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-05-31 at 01:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: