Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Isn't Mediatek the one that actually releases sources (eventually)?
If so, I've a list of flippin hundreds of handsets I can have customised costing about $50 each.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by N912 View Post
If it was this easy, we'd already have a Neo900, I guess.
They're speccing an entire phone platform from scratch and not using libhybris so the choices they have are quite narrow. I was thinking more along the lines of finding an existing phone model and running with that and modifying it to match.

Originally Posted by N912 View Post
As far as I know, the (generic) hardware gets bought in bulk and gets thrown into a big magical machine, where in the end, smartphones fall out...no seriously, we would probably get yet another Chinese android phone/clone, running android. :/
Guess why there are so many Chinese smartphone brands currently floating the market...
Which is exactly what I want to use and abuse. It's exactly what Jolla did and what Intex did. You start with a known working Android phone where all/most of the R&D has been done. That's how you get a cheap, rapidly developed, modern phone.

But, what needs to be carefully done is working out what the base "donor" device spec is so that ports aren't going to see red boxes in the Mer port table.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
neildk - I'm sure you have to be careful with specifying what you want delivered hence this topic. If we can spec it all out, including deliverables such as drivers then we might have a chance at a community device with less binary blobs that cause issues later on.
The blobs is the issue.
You won't get the sources of those.
This is what is blocking this kind of development.
Qualcomm et al will deliver the binary blobs for what your need is (currently, updates will cost), given payment, but never the sources.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Which is exactly what I want to use and abuse. It's exactly what Jolla did and what Intex did. You start with a known working Android phone where all/most of the R&D has been done. That's how you get a cheap, rapidly developed, modern phone.

But, what needs to be carefully done is working out what the base "donor" device spec is so that ports aren't going to see red boxes in the Mer port table.
Theres lots of available devices if you look on Alibaba.

But they will be running android, and of course the kernel sources wont match the blobs they give you and then theres all the porting work.

Whilst its not that hard to imagine something like the turing phone but without all the weird stuff, i honestly think we're much better off with the Xperia XC and using the rather nice information that sony provides to get a good port together.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
By the way, what's wrong with the fairphone? Why do we need another device? For me official support and alien dalvik would be enough.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
By the way, what's wrong with the fairphone?
It's extremely expensive (and also too big).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
And you think building your own device is less expensive? At least there is a very good reason for this high price.

I'm with you, in respect of the size. But I think many others not. I don't think you will find a device that fits the needs of all community members. We want a smaller devices others a large screen. I want a hardware keyboard others not. Some people think the camera is really important others not.

So I know it sounds disenchanted. But building the perfect community device is an illusionary dream.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
And you think building your own device is less expensive? At least there is a very good reason for this high price.

I'm with you, in respect of the size. But I think many others not. I don't think you will find a device that fits the needs of all community members. We want a smaller devices others a large screen. I want a hardware keyboard others not. Some people think the camera is really important others not.

So I know it sounds disenchanted. But building the perfect community device is an illusionary dream.
The FP2 is a highly customised device, taking an OEM offering with zero modifications would definitely be cheaper.

I agree that getting everyone to agree on specs is nigh on impossible, but not everyone has to agree for it to be a worthwhile venture. The point of this would be to provide something that the industry at large isn't already providing, so if you want a >=5" screen then you already have lots to choose from, some of which already have working Sailfish Ports.

The hardware keyboard is a sticking point for a lot of people, and I really wonder whether you can get an OEM device with such a thing without it costing Neo900 level prices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaiNsFhtI8

Would be interesting to see a project like this done with a raspberry pi zero and a nice 3d printed case.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Don't expect devices like a N900 or N950 in the near future.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post: