Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
Is it possible to add the function or rotating the map with 2 fingers? I find it useful.
rinigus: is two finger rotation possible? Does is require redoing the GestureArea component? If possible, it could be added, yes, off by default though, to avoid accidental rotation along with pinch-zoom.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
My suggestion would be to present a list if the address lookup comes up with multiple results.
Search autocomplete would be the answer. It's just been delayed on account of the other stuff.

A last suggestion, can we have a feature to just look up addresses, without finding routes to them? There is a "nearby venues", but that is not quite the same thing. And it is limited to only up to 20 miles.
Search?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Search?
Damn. Now I feel really embarrassed

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
rinigus: is two finger rotation possible? Does is require redoing the GestureArea component? If possible, it could be added, yes, off by default though, to avoid accidental rotation along with pinch-zoom.
I guess it will require updating GestureArea. I was planning to look at some point if I can adapt QtLocation interaction components, but haven't got there yet.

We would have to think about how much time we should invest into Mapbox QML if

"Developer offering will see many improvements in 2018-2019. We are planning to open Qt Location after Qt upgrade 5.9" [http://www.merproject.org/logs/%23me...4-19T08:13:56]

will happen. I don't mind maintaining and developing QML bindings further, but then it has to be used by applications. Right now, QML Mapbox bindings are relatively "easy" to maintain, although there are some issues filed that will have to be addressed. Adopting new gesture area would be somewhat harder and this work will have to be weighted against the time it will be used.

In this sense, we would have to compare APIs and think what will be used in 2019. In addition to APIs, there are differences in update paths and control that is possible to get over it, but looks like Qt is making a major exception and making significant updates in Mapbox component in stable releases and Mapbox is developing within Qt 5.9 as well.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I see two-finger rotation as a nice to have thing, but not really all that relevant, or relevant only in rare use cases, so if it looks like a lot of work, it's likely not worth the trouble. And if there is indeed an up-to-date Mapbox GL in SFOS 3, I'll likely switch to that, but that depends on the details and remains to be seen.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
  • In fact, everything is far too small. I had the phone stuck with a sucker on the windscreen and could just about see the map and icon with the next manoeuvre and the distance, but not much else. The current speed, for example, is microscopic, totally unreadable at a distance between the driver's seat and the windscreen.
  • I would prefer the ETA more visible, current speed much larger and included in the same area, and the blurb like "enter the roundabout and take the 4th exit" removed completely, but that might be only me. Perhaps making it configurable might be the way to go.
To give a rough idea what I was on about, here are a bunch of screenshots. This is just a first approximation, without current speed (I could not figure out how to fit it nratly) and without making it configurable, just what I bashed together in an hour or so. If people find it useful, I will try to spend a bit more time.

Before:
Name:  Screenshot_20180423_006.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  21.8 KB

After (it looks like I took the shot before the map fully rendered, sorry about that):
Name:  Screenshot_20180423_007.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  19.5 KB

After, once the navigation started:
Name:  Screenshot_20180423_004.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  20.3 KB

I am also attaching the patch file (rremove the txt extension) and the RPM if anyone is interested. Install manually and then enable or disable in Patchmanager. I am not uploading it in Warehouse just yet.
Attached Files
File Type: txt unified_diff.patch.txt (3.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: rpm harbour-whogo-maps-patch-0.0.1-1.noarch.rpm (4.3 KB, 32 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
A funny observation. As mentioned earlier, I had some surprising routing results. So I tried it again, to route me to Edinburgh. It's not like there are dozens of them to choose from. But, surprise surprise, I got routed somewhere completely off:

Name:  Screenshot_20180424_001.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  23.4 KB

Once I zoomed in, it turned out I got routed to a Duke of Edinburgh pub in a village on the other side of the country.

To confirm, I tried Search and indeed, I got a list of results with said pub right at the top, so it looks like in ambiguous search results,
a) the list is not ordered in any meaningful way (e.g. by relevance)
b) the app just picks the first item from the list as the destination.

I found that the solution was to search for ", , Edinburgh", to follow the "<house number>, <street>, <town>" format with the first two entries empty. Now I see why commercial satnavs want you to enter the town, street and house number as separate entries

I also had a few OOM issues when I was trying to route to a location half of Europe away. Some of them so serious that any application I tried starting afterwards was killed instantly. The only remedy was a reboot. Come to think of it, that sounds more like the server problem: WhoGo was killed but the server still kept the memory allocated, not leaving enough for anyone else.

The last question, how can I navigate to given geo coordinates? I tried for example "geo:55.149,-3.189" but received "no search results".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I wonder how difficult would it be to use some sort of heuristics to order the hitlist with better relevancy?
Do the search results include some sort of description of the target; if so, then it would make sense to value a city over a shop for example.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Do the search results include some sort of description of the target
Yes, they do.

But I think it could be even simpler than that. If you type in a single entry (for example "Frankfurt am Main", to give an example of a single entry that is not a single word), assume that it is a town. So the app can do the ", ," conversion automatically.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Yes, they do.

But I think it could be even simpler than that. If you type in a single entry (for example "Frankfurt am Main", to give an example of a single entry that is not a single word), assume that it is a town. So the app can do the ", ," conversion automatically.
Its a job of search provider, not map client. However , you probably have some place in a city to go to , why don't you enter that? I'll try to remember it when I get to work on search .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: