Active Topics

Originally Posted by God View Post
Yeah but it's the lack of responsiveness that you'd feel comfortable with, by using one hand while writing an SMS. I'm not sure, but the phone just seems WRONG on portrait. I mean, if you have portrait + landscape, sure why not? Just an extra option you have, but I wouldn't say it's a MUST!

Well, my girlfriend has a N97 mini, so yeah, I have. But there again, it's also a lot easier to type with the physical keyboard imo.
+ the entire Symbian OS on portrait doesn't look that bad, whereas the whole "maemo has 4 desktops" wouldn't look that great.

my friend also has a n97 and the qwerty keyboard on it i must say is horrible on it to the point that he restricted himself to only using t9 with the dial pad. Where as in my n900 the feedback on my n900 is probably the best i ever used. Miles away from the n97 imho. A tiny responsiveness is something all touch screen phone has when texting but after a week u won't even realize it.

Also on the n97 the sym keys are on the right where the n900 sym is on the left which i prefer left much more cuz i rather use my right hand to select the keys i want.

But i'm a person on the go and where portrait mode texting is important to me. It's something i'm willing to wait for because this is the best mini devices i ever used, it can do almost anything which keeps me from needing to pull out my netbook.

*typed on my n900 *

Last edited by thinh; 2009-11-30 at 17:51.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
portrait mode (including a virtual keyboard obviously) would be nice for one-hand-usage.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by cristids View Post
Don't have an N900 but just thinking: if you open phone and then kill -9 the phone app . Wouldn't this leave the system in portrait mode?
No, I just tried this.

ssh into device
Code:
sleep 3; pkill -9 rtcom
Activate phone app.
You need the sleep because starting the phone app will freeze the SSH session.

Phone app dies, but the task switcher or desktop switches back to landscape immediately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
i also have got the phone to do this bug the desktop looks crap when in this mode, i have no idea how they are going to make the desktop look good and all the icons will need to be setup on the desktop again if you get me, i think it will only happen for the apps as needed and not the desktop

i also think the phone work very good as it is, and the screens the best, i have used, its very fast, i have no idea why anyone in the reviews think the screen is no good, what joker, have they used the n97, now that got a crap screen, jokers

Last edited by j2001m; 2009-11-30 at 19:44.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
I just did this on accident. The ironic part was I used the app braek off of the extras to do it. All I did was start it, power button, phone, power button, end current task.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland

I played with my phone a little bit, and it seems it's all about timing when you open the keyboard. I'm able to reproduce it 1/8-10 times. You just open the keyboard right before the app opens (before the turning animation).

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I have found a way to reproduce this bug always now. Its very easy!
First I must say Im very sorry if this is already known for reposting it but here it goes!

First download that software braek, its a simple software that produces a crack looking thingy to the screen.

Now make a shortcut to the desktop for braek, then make a shortcut for the phone and the X-terminal on the left side of the screen.

Now open braek and start quickly tapping the area where the phone shortcut lies. Now the phone opens. Close phone software normally and N900 is locked to portrait... you can use Xterminal to kill braek by typing
killall braek

Tada forced portrait and works always for me. Some software dont like it though. You can open and close the keyboard as you wish and its locked in portrait.

To get it back to landscape without restarting phone just open the phone software and close it normally and it goes to portrait.

Next FW better have portrait mode or im selling !!!! Its such a hassle to take the phone out of your pocket and directly use it in landscape.. I mean its Freaking winter !!!!!!! I got to be able to use it one handed. today I got really frustrated about this. Had to make some calls but didnt even want to anymore because of this..
Also my battery went dead I was trying to charge it via usb from my laptop and turn it on it just kept vibrating and trying to get on but it couldnt.. kept it to charge for like 3 hours my laptop went dead and still phone had just a LITTLE BIT of charge on it WTF ? thats just made me sick.