Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Sorry for bothering, but, is it safe to keep the DSP on 600 all the time? I mean, doesn't it max out at 500, and isn't its normal 430?

What I'm asking is, can I overclock DSP from 430 to 600 without much hassle or will it really run that over the edge that I should think a little before trying?

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
Sorry for bothering, but, is it safe to keep the DSP on 600 all the time? I mean, doesn't it max out at 500, and isn't its normal 430?

What I'm asking is, can I overclock DSP from 430 to 600 without much hassle or will it really run that over the edge that I should think a little before trying?

Thanks.
dsp = videos
so leaving it @ 600 won't affecting anything when the n900 is idle at all. Plus most users are already setting their device overclocked by default and I don't see any problems happening still.

Note: When you overclock your device using kernel-power not only the frequency get's changed but so is the dsp.

Here's a sample profile of kernel power

# minimum frequency to use
MINFREQ=250
# maximum frequency to use
MAXFREQ=600
# list of frequency configurations: each "frequency:volt,dsprate"
FREQS="0:30,90 125:30,90 250:38,180 500:48,360 550:54,400 600:60,430 700:60,430 750:60,430 805:60,430 850:60,500 900:60,500 950:60,500 1000:60,500 1100:72,520 1150:72,520"
SMARTREFLEX_VDD1=0
SMARTREFLEX_VDD2=0
GOVERNOR=ondemand
UP_THRESHOLD=95
SAMPLING_RATE=300000
IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=0
POWERSAVE_BIAS=0
Where
FREQS="frequency:voltage,dsp clock frequency:voltage,dsp clock frequency:voltage,dsp clock frequency:voltage,dsp clock..."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks freemangordon, this is awesome! By the way, when/if glitches with camera-ui get fixed, will it be possible to record videos in higher resolution?

/Estel
hi estel.. i just wanna know how many formats is n900 playing now.. especially does it play MKV.. tks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to visN900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Radicalz38,

Thank you, but I already knew that. In fact I have lots of kernel profiles with custom voltages that I tweaked specially for my device (lots of stress tests, I even have a stess.sh just to test new voltages), including trials with governor X conservative(albeit I've read somewhere on the big titan thread that conservative does not work/is not "implemented on the kernel" here), and different sampling rates and powersave biases, skipping unnecessary speeds, with or without vdds 1(processor) and 2(rest), overclocking dsp before overclocking the processor, but I have never tried going over 900 with the processor and 500 with dsp, because my voltages after 900 MUST go over 58 to be stable enough (and even then just for 2 days idle or 5 hours 100%, when it starts to restart and get sluggish for 3 days till going normal again).

So, that's where my question arose. Up to my knowledge NOBODY has EVER tested DSPs over 520 (except for once or twice in the big overclock thread that I guess I remember of), so, I'm asking here if I should try, being it in the same danger level as trying to push the processor to 1150 OR of it is above that level or danger (600>>>520).

Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
Radicalz38,

Thank you, but I already knew that. In fact I have lots of kernel profiles with custom voltages that I tweaked specially for my device (lots of stress tests, I even have a stess.sh just to test new voltages), including trials with governor X conservative(albeit I've read somewhere on the big titan thread that conservative does not work/is not "implemented on the kernel" here), and different sampling rates and powersave biases, skipping unnecessary speeds, with or without vdds 1(processor) and 2(rest), overclocking dsp before overclocking the processor, but I have never tried going over 900 with the processor and 500 with dsp, because my voltages after 900 MUST go over 58 to be stable enough (and even then just for 2 days idle or 5 hours 100%, when it starts to restart and get sluggish for 3 days till going normal again).

So, that's where my question arose. Up to my knowledge NOBODY has EVER tested DSPs over 520 (except for once or twice in the big overclock thread that I guess I remember of), so, I'm asking here if I should try, being it in the same danger level as trying to push the processor to 1150 OR of it is above that level or danger (600>>>520).

Thanks.
Yes I know and as I also posted it is safe. Some people are using the maximum clock speed "1150:72,520" on their daily lifes since a long time ago. Namely me and jakiman and a few others I forgot who set his kernel-power profile to it's maximum limit under starving

So yes possible setting dsp up to 520. Although depends on the device if it can handle a higher clock but since as you said you are tweaking kernel-power profiles it should be easy for you to match the proper values for you device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I've never felt a need to overclock the DSP as there were hardly any benefit from it. But seems I will now overclock it also. I'm definitely going to try this once I get my new N900 replacement. (Nokia is sending me a new one as the microusb port ripped off on my original N900) I hope the replacement N900 overclock just as well as what my original did....

aww sad for that buddy... Yeah I hope you get to overclock your new n900 to the limit again. Best of luck to you I heard only rare handset get's the capacity to handle 1150 clock

There is huge difference between "being able to handle" (for a while, week, month, or half of an year) and "being relatively safe". I would never ever advocate putting device on 1150 (or anything @ or above 1000) on daily basics, and to be honest, I got not-so-good opinion about knowledge-intelligence-wisdom mix of people doing so.

...So, I would also *love* to know, if it is "safe" to keep DSP on 600, watching/recording quite long videos. Ho ever, I suspect, that we have (go to ) find out on our own, because no one tried it before, for a long term Hah, I never suspect we could have a chance to be N900 overclocking pioneers again
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-26 at 07:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Overclocking DSP to 600 MHz is basically allowing it to go to such frequency, not locking to it. As long as high enough voltage is applied (set up in overclocking profile) things should run fine. The actual frequency on which DSP runs is decided by its own "os" (baseimage.dof) according to current content/load.

I think we all agree that 720p playback on n900 is on it early stages, sure there is more to discover.

And have in mind that 600 MHz is needed only when playing high resolution/profile/bitrate movies, so an inteligent media player should set up DSP max frequency (and voltages) based on the current movie. We still lack this feature, but OMP should be able to do the job one day.

@Estel - maybe you've missed it , but there is link to 1024x720 video in one of my earlier posts, recorded with my n900.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Yea, I've seen it (and thanked You - just don't like to clap my jaw when not necessary ), will try it later today, cause now I got my N900 with unmodified files, so I'm unable to play it. Anyway, it's great that it's possible - IMO recording videos in such resolution is much more important, than watching it on N900 800x480 screen. I hope Nicolai (or You) will find time to fix CSSU camera-ui soon. I would *love* to record Tori Amos upcoming show @ 720p!

BTW, which voltage is considered 100% enough for 600 mhz DSP (not like titan's profiles are wrongly considered ok)? Do You think 900:60,600 should be 100% safe starting point (from which, we can tweak voltage for our specific device case)?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
balls, gpl violation, hackjobs, lgpl violation, nokia, upgrade..., video player