So my N900 is busted, the way any repair story should start. My N900 has an external ear piece (headphone) problem wherein it does not reach the maximum volume as it used to when the headphones are plugged in. All else is fine, and this includes the stereo speakers built in, and boy can they get loud. Now I know enough about troubleshooting to at least do the common courtesy myself in ruling out the obvious. So the following is what I did:

1) Factory Reset (Still didn't work)

2) Full eMMC wipe and firmware re-installation of PR1.2 (Still didn't work)

3) Different Headphones (Still didn't work)

4) Different Listener (Still didn't work)

So I determined that the volume will not go as loud as it used to and my level of hearing hasn't changed because I tried my old dependable Creative Zen Vision M and it still got loud half way up the volume level. This I figured was a hardware issue, and it would simply be better repaired under Warranty. I'm not sure how it happened even, it could be that a line out got connected with a line out of higher voltage ... all I can remember was it was working one moment and the next it stopped getting as loud when I tried to raise the volume and noticed it was max already and not yet as loud as it used to be.

So I went to Nokia Support, filled out the Repair form and like a good boy sent it out. At this point I think to myself case closed, and wait for the process to cycle through. Mind you I work in Canada, and bought the phone in the States ... so sending the package is one thing and the receiving is another (they send it to my home and my family sends it through FedEx to me), all in all the receiving costs roughly $30USD/ per turn, sending costed me $15USD but that is the cost to play the game.

Fast forward about a week and half and I get my N900 back. The tech changed an internal component which I think was on the right path, but he stopped short of fixing the issue. You see he replaced an ESD protection circuitry, a first line of defense at the N900 AV connector ... but I'm not sure he checked the components that came after it. You see the problem seems to be one of gain, and it seems the Headphone amp is getting the I2C signal to increase volume but the gain clips off well before the maximum volume setting. So in essence the N900 was not fixed, and I called back this time explaining more clearly if I wasn't understood the first time as to what is the problem. Nokia agreed to send me a shipping envelope to resend it back at their expense ... a nice courtesy. So I did, and I waited ... while the package was in transit I sent a detailed report as to where to check especially the components like the Headphone amp (TPA6130), and the passive components like the 15ohm resistors that go to the 3.5mm jack, or the caps C4070-C4080. The report even had the page number from the L3&4 Service manual for the diagnostics/ repair section for this issue. I sent this report in and then later called them the following day wherein I said can you forward the report to the repair center, and was told the email to the support team is a different department then the call center support team so they can't tell if that email was forwarded as instructed in the email. In any case I told them over the phone that I sent the phone back as instructed, and to ensure the repair center knows the reason this phone is coming back, I really wanted to avoid any miscommunication and errors resulting in a back and forth tug of war (hey it cost's me $30USD for each trip back and I need my phone, also it costed Nokia to send it back I'm sure it is an expense they rather avoid). So I handled it proactively and told them to expect my phone shortly, I wrote "Attention Lead Tech' on the package as instructed by the call center, I send in a report, and called confirming the package being sent and reiterated the problem so as to avoid any small human error that can occur at least on my part as the customer. At this point I think to myself case closed, and wait for the process to cycle through again.

So about 2 weeks later Nokia's Palco contractor sends it back again. So I got red before even turning on the phone. The service invoice/ form/ record whatever that plain uninformative form had "Here's what you told us was wrong: unknown", and they fixed it by "Software Upgrade and Phone Reset". WTF, I sent it upgraded and reset, matter of fact I sent it so that the intro Time setup wizard would pop up the same way they sent me it back ... thanks Nokia next time I want to pay $30 for a software update I know who to go to. Now for obvious reasons the problem still remains unfixed, and I don't even know if the tech got the memo as to what to look for or what to check or even if he saw the problem. I'm sure if he checked the IMEI number on the database he would of seen the work order submitted.

So in summary I am down roughly $75, the problem is still not fixed, and I have a phone that has crossed plenty of time zones and racked up the Air Miles. To say Nokia Support has deficiencies is an understatement at this point. Things to consider as I await the ******ed 48hour escalation window they assign to a person ... f it and try to fix it myself (I seriously would make the effort to but the SMD solder needs an oven or other tools for which I do not have ... I have a scope and a Function Generator to do testing, but nothing to really fix it in a proper manner), go on the merry go round once more and drop $30 on it, demand to get $75 reimbursed through credit, get Nokia to pay back and forth shipping, or just give up and get another phone (maybe someone else can buy it and since it is under warranty they can enjoy the merry ground). All I need is a phone that can play music and has a nice camera. I am pretty sure at this point in time I am not feeling the Nokia brand at all. I mean serious that Maemo/ Meego disillusionment pales in comparison to when you really need to get your phone fixed for everyday use.

Now I think I am a good customer, the smart opinionated and savvy variety. I will make recommendations based on the things that irked me later on when my disappointment and disdain for Nokia wanes off a bit. It is just sad to see a neutered N900, had soo many plans with this phone for the upcoming fall, like going all data and using a dedicated sip account as my phone, now the plans are stalled.

EDIT: Wanted to add that one thing I noticed was that the first time I sent the phone in it returned back with a new stylus (I didn't send in my original) and the screws have been changed meaning they were new and not reused. The second time I didn't get a stylus (don't care anyways), and the screws were used as they had wear and tear on them. The screws are pissing me off as well as the service manual stipulates they are one time use and should be thrown out after disassembly ... fresh ones for reassembly. Now it looks like I took a screw driver to it.

Last edited by MoJo; 2010-08-27 at 17:36.