Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
I dunno, troubleshootr, I've never seen nor used a N800....

As noted in my original post, I'm just contemplating one as an idea at this point...and realized that I needed to know if I'd be able to connect to internet at work if I want as this would help determine whether I'd look into a N800 further....

As for 3200, I think they're great lil' units...beautiful crisp, clear display and keyboard is much better than you'd would guess it would be...if they had built-in wifi and ethernet port they'd be perfect....but it's OK using my CF wifi and ethernet cards...

FWIW, I've reflashed my ROM with various distros available. Currently, quite happy with a pdaXrom variant called pdaXii13.....very good user community over at OESF.org/forums....they even have a small Nokia section there too...
But not as large or active as this one...mainly focused on Zaurii....

HTH,

Mark
Sorry Mark, I thought you had an 800 as well. I should have read the thread better . Thanks for your input on the Zaurus 3200. Sorry to post OT.

Bob

I use a small (cig. packet sized) wifi/ethernet adapter. It can work either as a little access point (plug it in the ethernet port and connect via wi-fi), or as a wi-fi adapter (plug it in the ethernet port on a computer and you now have a wi-fi interface). It can be powered either by a separate power unit, or from an USB port (usb-to-power cable).
A BT access point sounds like a good idea too, I was however just thinking about the N800 setup.. out of the box the wizard seems to want to connect to BT devices with a Phone profile only, so presumably you'll have to do the setup manually. But this could be the best solution for workplaces where you're not allowed to put a wi-fi AP onto their internal network (understandable!). BT devices are paired, after all, and class 2 devices have short range.

EDIT: Aha.. no N800.. so the wizard remark doesn't apply. Anyway my own Zaurus (old SL series) doesn't have BT at all.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-03-28 at 10:48.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Thanks, phi.

This is the same as the wifi to ethernet bridge that other posters referred to, right??
You could just get one of these

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4100839789B19

or an Apple Airport Express. Both serve the same purpose. Of course they are a bit pricey solutions. But if you don't have a bluetooth phone with a data plan, this is a good solution.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I could have sworn I saw someone write of accomplishing this in another thread here...
Yeah, I just asked about this a few days ago:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5214

-T.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by troubleshootr View Post
Sorry Mark, I thought you had an 800 as well. I should have read the thread better . Thanks for your input on the Zaurus 3200. Sorry to post OT.

Bob
No problemo, Bob....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I use a small (cig. packet sized) wifi/ethernet adapter. It can work either as a little access point (plug it in the ethernet port and connect via wi-fi), or as a wi-fi adapter (plug it in the ethernet port on a computer and you now have a wi-fi interface). It can be powered either by a separate power unit, or from an USB port (usb-to-power cable).
A BT access point sounds like a good idea too, I was however just thinking about the N800 setup.. out of the box the wizard seems to want to connect to BT devices with a Phone profile only, so presumably you'll have to do the setup manually. But this could be the best solution for workplaces where you're not allowed to put a wi-fi AP onto their internal network (understandable!). BT devices are paired, after all, and class 2 devices have short range.

EDIT: Aha.. no N800.. so the wizard remark doesn't apply. Anyway my own Zaurus (old SL series) doesn't have BT at all.
Thanks for all that info, TA-t3!

Would be nice to know what unit you have, who makes it, model....

As for Z's you can use BT adaptors with them..at least on SL-Cxxx/xxxx series...

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by phi View Post
You could just get one of these

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4100839789B19

or an Apple Airport Express. Both serve the same purpose. Of course they are a bit pricey solutions. But if you don't have a bluetooth phone with a data plan, this is a good solution.
Thanks, phi!

Just checked online and Linksys unit goes for about $80...nice design too...

and I don't have data plan now for phone....

Nokia N900

Mine is similar to this: ASUS WL-330G:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~473197.asp

The one I have is an earlier model, 330B. The only difference is that mine is 802.11b while the newer 330G model is 802.11g, and that my older model can function as a wi-fi bridge (repeater) as well. I haven't actually used that functionality, but it's meant for where e.g. the wi-fi in your hotel has a signal that is too weak when you're sitting outside on the veranda -- you could stretch the range a bit by leaving the pocket adapter in range of the hotel wi-fi and let it work as a repeater. Probably not as much used as the other two modes (AP and adapter), so they dropped it from the new model.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Yeah, I just asked about this a few days ago:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5214

-T.
Thanks for that link, Tim!

Nokia N900

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Mine is similar to this: ASUS WL-330G:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...pno~473197.asp

The one I have is an earlier model, 330B. The only difference is that mine is 802.11b while the newer 330G model is 802.11g, and that my older model can function as a wi-fi bridge (repeater) as well. I haven't actually used that functionality, but it's meant for where e.g. the wi-fi in your hotel has a signal that is too weak when you're sitting outside on the veranda -- you could stretch the range a bit by leaving the pocket adapter in range of the hotel wi-fi and let it work as a repeater. Probably not as much used as the other two modes (AP and adapter), so they dropped it from the new model.
Thanks for the follow-up info, TA-t3!! Appreciate it!

Nokia N900