Notices

Originally Posted by skate_boy92 View Post
anybody helps?
Is gpsp able to retain individual ROM emulation settings (like audio buffer, frameskip...) when you restart it?

Recently I had an unstoppable desire to play some Pokemon, but I was not amused that there are no touch controls, no portrait mode, and that it stutters at 250 MHz, so I took matters into my own hands.

The result is a mashup of the newest upstream version, heavily cleaned up existing port and my imagination.

Would it be alright if I replaced gpspm in Fremantle repositories as soon as I find some time to test for compatibility with gpspmgui and prepare a package? Or does someone feel attached to it?

Name:  Screenshot-20121228-174134.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  21.9 KB

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
Recently I had an unstoppable desire to play some Pokemon, but I was not amused that there are no touch controls, no portrait mode, and that it stutters at 250 MHz, so I took matters into my own hands.

The result is a mashup of the newest upstream version, heavily cleaned up existing port and my imagination.

Would it be alright if I replaced gpspm in Fremantle repositories as soon as I find some time to test for compatibility with gpspmgui and prepare a package? Or does someone feel attached to it?

Attachment 30372
Image looks great I think you should contact the package maintainer directly and if he doesn't protest - you can go ahead

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
if you don't receive response from maintainer, you can freely upload it to devel (once the damn thing works again).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Nevinnomyssk
no problem at all... i'll confirm any maintainer who upload new\better version

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonapart For This Useful Post:
Alright, I think I'm done with testing and all that stuff, so here it comes: gpSPm 3.0! I tried to give it the autobuilder, but no luck, so I'm attaching the deb for those who are eager to play.

Let's see what's new:
  • Refreshed/rewritten the whole port
  • Added touch controls
  • Added portrait mode
  • Savestate is saved in ROM's directory

It retains compatibility with gpspmgui (or at least it should).

Touch controls work in both portrait and landscape, even though there are no guides in the latter. It might seem that it's hard to hit the buttons because of that, but I got adjusted in a matter of minutes, and hopefully so will you. If you can't remember which key is where, you can print the attached image and keep it in sight.

Name:  kpmap_hor_small.png
Views: 655
Size:  3.7 KB

Keypad image for portrait mode is a 480x480 PNG file, which resides under the name of "/opt/gpspm/keypad.png", so you can easily change it to something prettier. Here comes the stencil:

Name:  kpmap_ver.png
Views: 335
Size:  5.2 KB

That's it for now, have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpspm_3.0-1_armel.deb (332.4 KB, 205 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Does it still require the permissions to be setup for new installation?
Like in the OP?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
gidzzz,

Nice work, and also some remarks
  • I suddenly needed to create a symlink from /opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm to /opt/gpspm/gpspm to make gpspmgui start games. Looks not related, but I never saw this before.
  • full screen causes the games not to scale vertically in portrait mode, so (I guess) you need to set triple resize.
  • I won't mind a small close button, especially in portrait mode. If you are afraid you hit it by accident, make it a double tap
  • config files in /opt/gpspm have permission problems

P.s. I put gpspmgui on the whitelist to make it rotate. Apart from the config screens, it looks okay in portrait mode.

@sixwheeledbeast:
Yes, I see you need to chown game_config.txt and conf.gpsp in /opt/gpspm, so it is a bit of an other issue then described in the OP.

Last edited by ade; 2012-12-29 at 10:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Thanks for useful feedback.

Originally Posted by ade View Post
I suddenly needed to create a symlink from /opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm to /opt/gpspm/gpspm to make gpspmgui start games. Looks not related, but I never saw this before.
The old packaging was kind of strange: it installed two different binaries, one to "/opt/gpspm/gpspm", the other to "/opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm", for a reason unknown to me.

I don't have the foggiest idea why (were I sleepwalk-hacking gpspmgui and I don't remember? ), but gpspmgui on my device was using "/opt/gpspm/gpspm". I looked at the source and it should be "/opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm". After reinstalling it indeed tries to launch "/opt/maemo/usr/games/gpspm".

I'll include the necessary symlink in the next package.

full screen causes the games not to scale vertically in portrait mode, so (I guess) you need to set triple resize.
Did you mean "not to scale correctly"? For me they're scaled, even too much (to 480x800). It was kind of planned, but the keypad should be on the bottom layer. However, now that I think of it again, probably no one would want to play with the image stretched so much. I guess I'll make fullscreen look in portrait the same as double and triple zoom.

I won't mind a small close button, especially in portrait mode. If you are afraid you hit it by accident, make it a double tap
Do you have camkeyd installed? I can't live without it. Also in this case it does a great job. If you were not aware of camkeyd, do you still think that the a close button would have a good traumatic accidents to usability ratio? Double tap might still be not enough in fierce fights.

config files in /opt/gpspm have permission problems
Is there any other problem apart from that they're all root, so gpspmgui can't write to them? gpspmgui's post-installation script changes them to 666/777 anyway, so I guess that even though there's a conflict with the perfectionistic side of me, I can do that in gpspm's postinst too. As another thing to ease updates, the next package will probably be able to preserve configured keys.

P.s. I put gpspmgui on the whitelist to make it rotate. Apart from the config screens, it looks okay in portrait mode.
I think I'll put my hands on gpspmgui next, mainly to move the settings/BIOS directory somewhere to $HOME, but on the way I could also modify the layouts and add autorotation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Looks like the autobuilder still doesn't work, so I'm putting another package here. All problems known to me have been fixed. I have also modified touch controls a little bit. To sum up:
  • Improved the way in which image is scaled and positioned for portrait mode
  • Center of the directional pad releases directional keys
  • Fixed an incompatibility with gpspmgui due to a missing symlink
  • Fixed opening ROMs specified by a relative path
  • Upgrading no longer resets key bindings
  • Adjusted file permissions so that gpspmgui works after an upgrade without any additional steps
Attached Files
File Type: deb gpspm_3.0.1-1_armel.deb (333.0 KB, 81 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
emulators, games