Active Topics

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
I loved this package and the way my phone was locked in portrait and still supports the blacklist at the same time. it's what I've always wanted. but Sadly I've been experiencing random sudden reboots since i installed this as well as other problems.
I tried reverting back by installing the CSSU HD package as mentioned in the 1st page but no go. is there any other way folks? reflashing is pain in the *** right now cuz if I backup using backup menu I'm afraid this package will remain there.

thanx in advance!

The Following User Says Thank You to K9999 For This Useful Post:
Is there anyway to keep portrait moded locked after a reboot using the custom package from @l32606.

Locking portrait mode has been working fine for me when it is enabled. However, my phone is setup to reboot everyday at 4am to improve it's overall reliability. It is not worth going through the motions to relock portrait mode everyday.

Why exactly is locking portrait mode being withheld from development?

Worst case scenario for me is that for some applications I just leave the slider keyboard open to force landscape mode.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by vask View Post
Is there anyway to keep portrait moded locked after a reboot using the custom package from @l32606.

Locking portrait mode has been working fine for me when it is enabled. However, my phone is setup to reboot everyday at 4am to improve it's overall reliability. It is not worth going through the motions to relock portrait mode everyday.

Why exactly is locking portrait mode being withheld from development?

Worst case scenario for me is that for some applications I just leave the slider keyboard open to force landscape mode.

one of the main reasons why this thread has been ignored i think is due to the troublesome this package has caused "ex. boot issues, phone suddenly restarts by itself several times a day" .
i faced this issue after a week of installation, then left me no choice but to reflash because the solution in the first page was not helpful.

now my device is as fresh as new because the last important rootfs/Opt back was done including this package. if i restore the backup the problem will comeback.
now having troubles in editing the backup manually by deleting and replacing rootfs/opt files from old backups. haven't done it yet, don't know the impact

STILL, i loved this package and i would install it if the issue it causes is solved

The Following User Says Thank You to K9999 For This Useful Post:
@K9999, since installing the "lock portrait mode" package I haven't noticed anymore system instability than before. Maemo has always been a little bit unstable for me (sometimes locking up when battery is low and/or the charger connection keeps connecting and disconnecting). Also, since I installed kernel power maybe like once every 2-3 weeks I get the "unexpected reboot: your custom kernel settings have not been loaded." Please note that my system automatically reboots everyday at 4am, which does seem to improve reliability.

Also, I don't really see how locking portrait mode would cause so many problems (other than cosmetic) if locking landscape mode doesn't.

Only issue I have left with locking portrait mode is maintaining portrait mode lock after rebooting. If someone knows how to make this happen please let me know!

The Following User Says Thank You to vask For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
@vask..i love this package functionality and agree with all you said, but the fact is that cssu devellopment team dropped it, because some kind of troubles..i am sad about that and for a user with no coding skill like me its also hard to understand why..but unfortunately i doubt this package will had any devellopments

The Following User Says Thank You to ed_boner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
I noticed this today for the first time and installed your package. Now my N900 is much more convenient to use as a phone, thank you!

As of now I have uninstalled the locking portrait mode package (per developer recomendation) and my phone is much more inconvenient to use. All I really needed from the old package was for locking portrait mode to persist across reboots.

The following is some dialog I had with one of the developers.

Originally Posted by arcean
Originally Posted by vask
Is there any way I can get some more momentum going on locking portrait mode functionality?

More specifically lock portrait mode functionality works almost perfect for me at: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80644
Right now - I would say no . The MCE should be somehow patched, otherwise we won't get rid of a problem with locking Qt-based apps, MicroB or even CallUi. That's not an easy task, as the whole OS should be thoroughly tested.
Btw please do not mix hildon-desktop from the link above with any CSSU release .

However, I can not get the "locked portrait mode" to persist across reboots. Is there a way to do this?

Please advise.
The orientation locking feature needs to be completely redesigned & rewritten. And this relays on the availability of the patched MCE .
Originally Posted by arcean
MCE? Machine Check Exeption? ie) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

Also, what version of hildon-desktop should I be using with the CSSU? I am on CSSU 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo5.1

Maybe: http://repository.maemo.org/communit...2-22_armel.deb

Thanks for the reply.
MCE stands for 'the Mode Control Entity for Nokia Internet Tablets'.
http://maemo.org/packages/view/mce/

Yes, hildon-desktop_2.2.142-22_armel.deb is the latest version available in the CSSU-testing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vask For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
sad outcome...

em, I'd like to have this feature merged into CSSU upstream,
CSSU already provide a very excellent 'lock' function for Landascape mode, my gut feeling for support similar 'hard lock' for a group of specific supported apps in Portrait mode is feasbile.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by minipanda View Post
em, I'd like to have this feature merged into CSSU upstream,
CSSU already provide a very excellent 'lock' function for Landascape mode, my gut feeling for support similar 'hard lock' for a group of specific supported apps in Portrait mode is feasbile.
This thread seems to have people reporting issues with this package so I doubt it will get merged any time soon.

Also it seems h-d has had more updates since the package posted here.

Maybe a better idea would be to ask to merge the modification with the latest h-d and post it here for beta-testing.

Someone in the CSSU-Dev team maybe willing to do this if they have some spare time.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post: