Notices

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
This is a quick compilation of Motion with V4L2 support.

Motion is a flexible motion detection and image capture application that can capture from input video devices, perform motion analysis, and output the resulting postprocessed images to files, external processes, or straight to HTTP using its built-in HTTP server.

You can use it with your N800 and turn your device into a motion capture device, automated snapshot device, or anything else you can think of.

I have customized the binary to overcome some issues with V4L2 on the N800 (buffer read errors), and modified the motion.conf to accomodate for the N800 (hur offset, capture delay to give minimum amount of errors, etc.)

To use:

1. Unzip and copy motion and motion.conf to your N800
2. Using xterm, start motion
3. Hit the IP of your N800 with a web browser on port 8081 (use firefox!)
4. To configure via the web, load Opera and hit the N800 on port 8080

You must use mozilla or firefox as the stream is motion jpeg and IE cannot parse the stream (being the pile it is).

See the FAQ for more info on setting up motion to auto-ftp images, email, postprocess, redirect, draw image boxes around motion detected, ...

If you file bug reports to this thread I will do my best to fix the code.

CAVEATS: non-graceful termination may hang the camera device and reboot the N800 (harmless but beware).

Download here http://geopacket.com/maemo/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to konfoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
That's excellent konfoo!

I was wondering when apps would start showing up for the camera. I'll give it a try. Can you use "motion" in a more manual mode to take pictures and short videos on demand?

/Mike

Yes this would be possible with a frontend. The big requirement is ffmpeg.. which I am having some trouble compiling.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
Originally Posted by konfoo View Post

To use:

1. Unzip and copy motion and motion.conf to your N800
2. Using xterm, start motion
3. Hit the IP of your N800 with a web browser on port 8081 (use firefox!)
4. To configure via the web, load Opera and hit the N800 on port 8080

You must use mozilla or firefox as the stream is motion jpeg and IE cannot parse the stream (being the pile it is).
I have downloaded and installed motion as directed. When I try to run it from an xterm, I get 'Permission denied". I have it installed in /media/mmc1/bin. I changed the permissions to 775. I suspect that I am trying affect the nginx server without permissions. nginx is running because I pull up a web page from firefox on another machine on the network. I've tried it with http;//192.168.0.19:8082 and other ports. Any idea of what I am doing wrong? I simply get a page not found on everything except the plain 0.19.

In a related question, how do I become root and what is the password? Also, what is the password for 'user'?

thanks,

rhackenb

Is your mmc1 device mounted with exec permissions?

For becomeroot - do a search, there are a bunch of threads on different ways to get root access.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
Originally Posted by konfoo View Post
Is your mmc1 device mounted with exec permissions?

For becomeroot - do a search, there are a bunch of threads on different ways to get root access.
I moved motion and motion.config to /home/user/ and ran it. It work! I could hit it with 8081 and got images from the camera at regular intervals. I can leave the app in that directory or in a bin directory under it. How do I make mmc1 executable? Do I just use chmod?

I'll search for how to become root. What I would also like to know is the password for user. Maybe I should create another user that I have control of...oh wait...I need to be root.

The next thing I will do is see if I can retrieve the image from the n800 webserver using lynx on another machine.

Thanks for the help. It got me started.

-- rhackenb

Great

You can try mount -o rw,exec,remount /media/mmc1

You could do this for root access: Set red pill mode, install xterm + dropbear-server, ssh into n800, login as root/rootme, passwd user, passwd root, edit /etc/sudoers and youre done.

.. and then remember to go back to blue pill mode again.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
konfoo/TA-t3: Installing the "becomeroot" package is a lot easier than faffing around with Red Pill Mode/SSH/Blue Pill mode (or R&D mode).

I just tried this out. Way cool that you got an app to use the camera.