Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
We'll hopefully see the whole range of ARM SoC's like Qualcomm, Broadcom, TI OMAP4, nVidia Tegra2, Marvell's chips soon in hardware adaptations.

And everyone can build products using those.
Has there ever been a device ever made from those? One that was shown, shipped and sold?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Has there ever been a device ever made from those? One that was shown, shipped and sold?
Uhm, those chips? Yes? Qualcomm: Most of Android phones? TI OMAP4? Pandaboard? Tegra2? You haven't been reading engadget. Etc.

If you're talking about hardware adaptations for those chips in MeeGo in products, then no, not yet (I thought it was clear that I was talking about future things)

My point was that you can't say any hardware adaptation in MeeGo distribution = what Nokia will base products on.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If you're talking about hardware adaptations for those chips in MeeGo in products, then no, not yet (I thought it was clear that I was talking about future things)
Thanks for the answer. Mentioning possibilities is absolutely useless when it's never happened, it more than likely will not happen and more importantly the main release hasn't happened yet either.

Sorry to sound harsh; however realistically the "it will happen" or "it may happen" type of mentality has netted absolutely nothing so far.

And it's not about proving me wrong - the releases echo my point moreso than yours - but it's all about what has honestly happened so far. And that has been an unofficially supported release on the N900, quite a bit of activity by no real release that's usable 100% per day - lack of vendors with actual apps is the key to my stance there - and... well, wiki links.

Great.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
symbian is still main OS at Nokia dont forget that fact. It may change in a year when meego is more staabilized. but not 2011.
It will not change in 2012. There are sold more phones with Symbian than ANY OTHER PHONE OS, and the sale numbers of Q4 is, if I remember correctly, the highest, ever. Nokia has given NO indication that MeeGo will replace Symbian, on the other hand they have strongly and repeatedly said things like We Will Continue To Focus On Symbian and MeeGo Is Not Ment To Replace Symbian.

Maemo/MeeGo was ment for the highest high end, an internet communication centric niche market, and it would be fairly stupid to cut a leg that 40+% of the world phone users have chosen so that they can start over with an more complex OS that a handful of users - we - use (and complain about).

If anything, the new Nokia leadership is a threat to MeeGo@Nokia, not Symbian. But clearly, so far it has been an useful playground to prepare for the new Qt world order. I expect them to test beta stuff on MeeGo and then push polished versions into Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
I wonder if Nokia/MeeGo are considerin the next-gen chips (I mean the gen after Tegra2).

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68882

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Christ, read the link. ST Ericsson confirms that Nokia will be shipping at least one device with the U8500 platform, an ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core at 1.2 Ghz with a MALI 400 GPU in the first half of 2011. Question is, what will it be? A Symbian phone, a MeeGo phone or both? Mabe even a tablet (not likely - yet, probably never because Nokia will use Intel IMO).

But one thing is for sure. Within half a year we can get a Nokia of some sort (most probably a phone) with the ST Ericsson U8500 platform: dual Cortex-A9 at 1.2 GHz and a multicore GPU. The performance will be like nothing we have seen before. Call it what you want: N9, N007, N1001 whatever, it doesn't matter, it will kick some serious *** no matter what.
With a battery lasting approx 30 minutes.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
the link says "rumors"
yes, and the 'rumors' part is about what device the chip will be in. That doesn't take away the fact that A device with that chip/platform is coming...

Originally Posted by Gk@Pgqr* View Post
With a battery lasting approx 30 minutes.
:-o With a battery lasting approx 30 minutes, I must get a stronger car charger than I have for the N900... The drive to work is 30 minutes! With my current charger, it doesn't charge enough to keep an almost empty phone not empty.

:g

Tags
fud fud fud fud, get an iphone, mmm... popcorn, stop posting