Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Download and unzip this onto your External Memory card (mmc1).
mytube.zip

Now from your tablet, inside the mytube folder is a Mytube Install.note file.

Open this, Select All, Copy, then Paste this into Xterm.

You can nuke the mytube folder after this if you want.

Cheers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Addison,
Thanks for the handy dandy script for getting everything in it's place. Only one small suggestion. I had previously uninstalled mytube when it stopped working, and this thread inspired me to try again. I had totally forgotten, however, about the need to set permissions for youtube-dl. Maybe add a line to your script to automagically do it? I believe I used

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/youtube-dl

That might be helpful for those like me to get mytube up and functional again. It's working just fine now.

Also, many thanks to tsoliman for maintaining the youtube-dl script.

I think one of you guys should start a new topic entitled "Mytube now working again on the N8xx"

The Following User Says Thank You to HowHH For This Useful Post:
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/youtube-dl
You're right. I totally left that out.

*facepalm*

To play youtube with Canola2 download canola-tube.zip and place it in /usr/share/canola/plugins (overwrite the previous version if it exists).

MediaBox can play youtube if you unpack YouTube.py.zip in /opt/mediabox/components/youtube instead of YouTube.pyo or the previous version of YouTube.py (it should also work for N900).

Zip-files are in post #36

Last edited by anotherguy; 2012-12-16 at 17:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to anotherguy For This Useful Post:
^ Nice job and welcome to the forums!

Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
To play youtube with Canola2 download canola-tube.zip and place it in /usr/share/canola/plugins (overwrite the previous version if it exists).

MediaBox can play youtube if you unpack YouTube.py.zip in /opt/mediabox/components/youtube instead of YouTube.pyo or the previous version of YouTube.py (it should also work for N900).
Updated versions of youtube-dl (for N810) and zip-files for Canola and MediaBox
Attached Files
File Type: zip youtube-dl-x.zip (35.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: zip canola-tube.zip (22.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: zip YouTube.py.zip (6.4 KB, 98 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherguy For This Useful Post:
How do i extract the youtube py.zip into the opt/mediabox//compoments/youtube, i tried this after gainroot and the going to xterm to extract to opt/mediabox/compoments/youtube, is just says i dont have permissions to do this, any ideas where iam going wrong, i understand tiny bit about maemo,just be gentle
i might be doing this the wrong way,any ideas ,thanks

I simply use EmelFM2.

I also use Personal Launcher to start this.

There's an option in Personal Launcher to run a program as root.

This will give you the permissions you need.

Hi addison ,thanks for that got the personal launcher done and set it to open emlfm2 to run root, but when i extract the youtube.py.zip, it extracts and the dialouge box at the bottom shows the file has been extracted, but i now feel abit silly, which button will take me to the opt/mediabox/compoments/youtube, either iam going nutts and lost the plot over an easy file manger,crazy

Hi getting nowhere not sure if iam missing anything, ive tried most methods mentioned here,
canola2 wont loadup not sure what wrong there.
mediabox seems no different even when i move the youtube.py over.
mytube basicly the same , but when i copied and pasted the patch in xterm,then run mytube it starts and says failed reading tags thats what i think it says as it to quick then it says creating video directory and then nothing if i load my player up it will just repeat the same thing.
So to anyone who could help,to what im missing, would be nice to get mplayer working on youtube, or mediabox would be even better,perphaps iam misunderstanding the prevoius post.