Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
what do i need to do to vote?
There is a separate login system for bugs.maemo.org from the one we use here on talk.maemo.org

You need to create a account here:
https://bugs.maemo.org/createaccount.cgi

Once you´ve created an account you can login:
https://bugs.maemo.org/index.cgi?GoAheadAndLogIn=1

And then you can go and vote on the bug:
https://bugs.maemo.org/votes.cgi?act...8483#vote_8483

When you are on the vote page you place a little tick mark in the box in front of the name and number of the bug, and then you click the "Change my votes" button at the bottom of the page to register the vote

Here below is a link to a search filter for all N900 bugs reported. Feel free to go through those, comment and vote as well on those you feel are important. Voting at least shows our friends at Nokia that there is some interest for getting these "bugs" fixed.

N900 bug search

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-25 at 22:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Ok have voted..

Guys, follow Oli's instructions above and vote because this needs to be sorted.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Just voted.

Several people (myself and olighak) have successfully gotten bluetooth keyboards to work with week 44. And no one has reported failure to do so. Two people (dnastase and filologen) have reported getting bluetooth keyboards to work with week 51. And two people (olighak and jtkim) have reported failure to do so. One difference appears to be that dnastase and filologen did an OTA (apt-get) update to 51 while olighak and jtkim updated by reflash. Olighak subsequently reflashed to 42 and then did OTA updates to 44 then 51 but was unsuccessful in getting bluetooth keyboards to work with 51. At one point Olighak got 51 to work with bluetooth keyboards after and OTA update but it stopped working after reboot.

Is the above accurate? (The purpose it to document our understanding clearly in one place.)

Dnastase and filologen: Does 51 still work with bluetooth keyboards for you? Have you rebooted and does it still work?

Has anybody else tried to get bluetooth keyboards to work with 51? If so, please report success or failure and whether you did an OTA update or a reflash or reflash followed by OTA (like what olighak did).

The Following User Says Thank You to qobi For This Useful Post:
Here's my situation.

I got my n900 the day that PR 1.1 was released about 3 weeks ago. I did an OTA update to 51 the first or second time that I turned on the device. IOW, I never tried to pair or use my bluetooth keyboard (which is an "iGo Think Outside") on 44.

My BT keyboard paired sucessfully the first time. My problem is that the the BT keyboard never connects which should happen by simply pressing keys on the BT keyboard.

When I look at the my "Settings / Bluetooth / Devices" and edit the Think Outside Keyboard, it does not show a connect option. All that is shown is the "edit" button. The other button is always greyed out.

Hi all,

Qobi, I really appreciate the effort you've made to help the community with this workaround. (Particularly since you've had it working for over a month, yourself!) This kind of support makes all the difference.

I'm running the week 51 firmware. I did most of the configuration before the update (I think). I updated through OTA. And, now, the iGo ThinkOutside Stowaway Mini Foldable External Bluetooth Keyboard of Many Names works (almost) flawlessly.

Before copying .../symbols/us, .../symbols/pc and .../geometry/pc from .../xkb-chinook into .../xkb, I was receiving 'X Error of failed request: 141...Major opcode...142...Minor opcode...8' errors, similar to those reported by others in some of the later posts to this thread. However, my keyboard was clearly paired and functioning, and device ID 4 was clearly present.

However, I only received those errors if I used the two-part (setxkbmap-pipe-to-xkbcomp) method, including both the path ('-I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook') and the device ID ('-i4') in the _xkbcomp_ portion of the command as well as the setxkbmap portion. The unified setxkbmap method showed no errors, even when set to verbose ('-v10'), but failed to do anything. (Similar behavior was reported by others in some of the earlier posts to this thread).

Now, I can use the unified command and (as long as I remember to press a key on the internal keyboard after setting the keymap), everything works fine. Well, almost everything....

Remaining issues:

1. Not sure how to trigger the setxkbmap automatically when the keyboard pairs

2. One still has to press a key on the internal keyboard after setting the keymap

3. The <Enter> key on the external keyboard only works when the internal keyboard is slid open

4. There is some kind of key-press time-delay issue that I remember from my 770 days. If I press the <Enter> key too soon after (or before) releasing another key, the <Enter> fails to register. Effectively, this means that I often have to hit Enter twice, especially if I'm typing quickly. I distinctly remember a one-line fix for this...but I haven't managed to dredge it up.

Thanks again, qobi, and good luck to those who are still hacking.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Originally Posted by qobi View Post
Dnastase and filologen: Does 51 still work with bluetooth keyboards for you? Have you rebooted and does it still work?
I have rebooted several times and everything still works with my Nokia su-8w keyboard :-)

It connects automatically, when I turn on the keyboard (I still have to press a button on the internal keyboard for the layout settings to take effect though).

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Well, having just gotten a Palm 3245WW in the mail, I'm finding that I'm also unable to get it to stay connected after a pairing. I get about 3 seconds of the blue symbol on the desktop before it un-pairs and the keyboard goes back into searching mode.

One thing I do note is that when I request info on the connections via hcitool I'm seeing the following:

Code:
Connections:
        < ACL 00:0F:F6:07:05:09 handle 11 state 1 lm MASTER AUTH
Is it me, or shouldn't the keyboard be in slave mode? Is there a way to watch what bluez is trying to do when it gets the connect signal?

I also did an OTA update, but never tried pairing before today. I'm not showing a device 4, ever, so that part is clearly unhappy. I'm wondering if there's some gconf data thats different for the bluetooth service between 42 and 51 as well. Is there a simple way to extract that data out to a file to compare against?

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by qobi View Post
My keyboard still works. I am using it right now.
There have been multiple reboots in the meantime.

We have to figure out what changed in PR1.1. Otherwise I'll be reluctant to upgrade next time

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
i'd appreciate you knowledgable chaps finding a solution for this. This is the one missing feature on the N900 for me.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12