Active Topics

talking endlessly (as is seen on many "direction threads", even without "trolls") about technical features isn't going to get you anywhere neither.
talking about chit-chatting ¦-)

except for what is getting done, quietly, by ppl like pali, tymoph and many (?) more.
this is the de facto technocratic meritocracy which by nature is missing a unified direction other then the one given by technological constraints (such as device or architecture).
which doesn't in any way reduce the value of their efforts.

simply in a time of changes like now (for NOKIA's maemo's products) it means ppl are working on different solutions for an aspect.
is usually very nice (provides more choice) but when resources are scarce it can be an issue.

you can of course call me troll because i bring up a non-technical issue

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
i really hate the idea of this thread ,why one wont stay with maemo as it is still in WIP stage ? that means no body is sticking in the past at all ,whoever is in love with meego ,wait for N9/n950 and grade it as if it is good for u or not or work for maemo and for its applications .We probably will have a lot of time for sucha developmental ideology unless nokia does not release an other OS .So be good with maemo cuz thats all we have .You probably dont want to open an other war for immature meego when there is an incomplete maemo.Work for its completion first .you will have your time LATER.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Having though about this a few minutes more I think that most of the things that people are after is already happening in a form or another. One can always argue about the little things but that's beside the point.

1. CSSU - For people who want to see Maemo 5 getting fixes, etc
2. MeeGo N9x0 Community Edition - For people who want to move on
3. Cordia - For people between the first two.

And on top of those are the application developers, hackers, users, etc.

I don't see a point in deciding one direction for the whole community (which by the definition in the intro page is a developer community [1]). Open source and coding in one's free time is almost always about scratching your own itch so I'd say just contribute/support the effort that suites your needs.

[1] http://maemo.org/intro/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Having though about this a few minutes more I think that most of the things that people are after is already happening in a form or another. One can always argue about the little things but that's beside the point.

I don't see a point in deciding one direction for the whole community (which by the definition in the intro page is a developer community [1]). Open source and coding in one's free time is almost always about scratching your own itch so I'd say just contribute/support the effort that suites your needs.

Cool, what about N800/N810?

I don't see lot happening around n8x0. from where I'm sitting those look obsolete. would be happy to be proven wrong though.

edit: meaning obsolete in context of new development while they are otherwise usable devices

Last edited by timoph; 2011-08-12 at 15:43.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding

You are right. Let us hope that we don't end up in a situation like the Freerunner situation, ie, thousands of distros but each not complete and working for proper usage.

Three paths are sane, especially when two share hardware adaptation and base system.

Let the results be what will eventually show what was the right path.

I cant help but feel that we need to think way beyond the current user experiences though, ie, not Cordia, not CE, not CSSU.

Try to see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38 (not rickrolling)

Your thoughts on such an approach for maemo.org?

I don't see lot happening around n8x0. from where I'm sitting those look obsolete. would be happy to be proven wrong though.
Well the original vendor thinks that way as well. One of the basic ideas of the OSS is to be able to maintain your software when the vendor is not willing any more.

By excluding the N810, number of people working on a community "maemo" (since it needs to be redefined and renamed) will be reduced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tekki View Post
Try to see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38 (not rickrolling)
Let us all install chips inside our heads.
Seriously, people do things in life other than clicking, swiping, dragging, etc.

Originally Posted by tekki View Post
[...]

Your thoughts on such an approach for maemo.org?
but this all runs on MeeGo with NFC / Near Field Communication, right?

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
By excluding the N810, number of people working on a community "maemo" (since it needs to be redefined and renamed) will be reduced.
oh. sorry didn't mean like that. those are maemo devices no matter what. just pointed out that there's already work going into the things that most people here are after. but as said there's very little work going on for the older devices. my guess is that there just isn't enough interested people around to support those.

maemo.org has a lot of useful info about those devices and that's the level of support I currently see maemo.org offers for those devices.

of course anyone is free to start fixing things in the older sw, etc. it wouldn't be open source if we'd limit what people can work on. there might be some limitations but that's another thread if those can be worked around or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: