Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
UPDATE: I've found nearly-free hosting at qole.org, see my post below!

I just discovered that andrewfblack is taking maemobox.org offline this week.

This means the Easy Debian image file (315MB) needs a new home.

Can anyone offer me a free hosting service where I can put my Easy Debian image file? I would also like to put other alternative distributions on the same host (like Easy Mer).

Without a free host, I'll probably just take Easy Debian out of Extras until I can figure something out.

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-27 at 22:02. Reason: qole.org update

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Assuming I get a garage account, I'm going to try breaking my files into 148MB pieces using this multi-volume technique.

We'll see how that goes.

I am glad you found a way to further host it. The wikipedia entry for dreamhost http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamHost is rather mixed.

Last edited by chrisg; 2009-04-27 at 21:34.

UPDATE: I've just paid $10 US to dreamhost.com for qole.org; For this amount, I get my own domain for a year, and unlimited bandwidth and storage for the life of the account. I also get a shell account, and I just tested it, it lets me run my repository update script! So I'm in business with my repository, too!

Even if the price goes up to $100 US after the first year, it is still reasonable if the bandwidth and storage really does stay unlimited as dreamhost.com promised me.

If anyone wants this great deal, get it now, it is over today. You need the promo code 777 to use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yup, I already snatched one since my other account has only 30GB bandwidth which I almost fill already.

Ooooh! Even better! As a user of geocities.com since the days of the Internet's birth, I just got a second year of hosting for free!

qole.org will be around for a while now!

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2009/04/24...ernet-history/

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Oh hallelujah! So, Easy Debian continues? ... so, can we still chip in for it?
Cheers,
Jon

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Qole as a Dreamhost user for years I can tell you unlimited with them means unlimited. The down side is the TOS says that your not suppose to use it for file sharing. I always did and never got caught just make sure you have a website as well. Also one the website if you run a php script that is heavy on resources you will get alot of 505 Errors. I had to upgrade to there Private Server option when I was running my sites there before. Good luck with your site and I'm sorry I had to shut it down.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonathandueck View Post
... so, can we still chip in for it?
Not sure what that means, but if you want to throw a few bucks my way, PM me and I'll give you my PayPal e-mail address. If you want to help me out by getting involved in the project, just tell me what you'd like to do, I would love some help!

I checked the DreamHost T.O.S. and I couldn't find anything direct about not sharing files. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Tags
debian, easy debian, easy mer, host needed, image file