Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Garage is not for end users. They should just look at http://maemo.org/downloads for community software

And to their Application Manager with Extras activated.

Garage is a collaboration infrastructure for developers and heavy contributors.
Chris, as what Quim has mentioned, as of now, there is http://maemo.org/downloads where you can browse on any browser, and then there is the Application Manager on the N900 where you can supposedly see the same apps there. The whole process is not yet refined but hopefully, it becomes better.

I don't know how the Ovi Store would fit in all these yet, but if it will make things easier for the end-user, I'm all up for it.

What I would like to still see is the ability to rate and comment on apps, directly from the N900.

Last edited by Reggie; 2009-09-04 at 21:04.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Well, the way you put it, its the Ovi Store on steroids, and that's amazing!! I'm sure Nokia will implement some of those features in the new OS, but you never know.

What I want to know is where could someone interested in new software for Maemo 5 or Maemo in general go to find it if they DON'T have a device?

Just read your post, Reggie. Thanks. Is that the only place? Besides the Garage? Just making sure...

I really appreciate all the help.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Just read your post, Reggie. Thanks. Is that the only place? Besides the Garage? Just making sure...

I really appreciate all the help.
There have been places where you can get apps and customized firmware before, but would not recommend them. It's still best to get them from the downloads page or direct from the device, since you get notified of updates automatically for the apps you have installed.

np.

http://maemo.org/downloads
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
What I want to know is where could someone interested in new software for Maemo 5 or Maemo in general go to find it if they DON'T have a device?

Chris as linked multiple times. You can look through the applications. I expect that there will be a maemo 5 link on that page that will be for the new programs. As the community doesn't have a device to test new ports on it is a little early to look for new programs. please look at the 2008 link for programs that will likely be quickly ported.

Epi

gotcha! thanks guys

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
App Manager isn't really a store-like thing as such, it is a *user-friendly* GUI for the apt-get package manager. It lets you choose a package to install, figures out what dependencies that package has, and assuming they exist in the repositories you have enabled, installs (or un-installs) it all for you. The same thing can be done on the command line using apt-get.
Thank you for a concise and simple explanation.
I'm sure that you're aware that the vast majority of average device users don't really care how it works. They just want to see a widget, punch it, and get the app. And then they just want it to simply work.
I wonder if the N900 will be able to fulfill these expectations?

Last edited by kenny; 2009-09-05 at 03:04.

Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I'm sure that you're aware that the vast majority of average device users don't really care how it works. They just want to see a widget, punch it, and get the app. And then they just want it to simply work.
Not me I want my device to read my mind and anticipate what applications I want and download them for me automatically.

Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I expect so, as that is how App Manager tends to work on the other Maemo devices, although there are options to expose more detail/control to the user if they want.

In the past, Maemo users have had to contend with additional, personal repositories in order to add 3rd party apps and ports of other regular Linux apps, (see http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...&system=maemo4) but that nausea has mostly gone away now, with a concerted effort to put everything into the Maemo Extras repository. I don't suppose anyone will be using Gronmayer again. I know I've not been there for a long time.

Still, quite how all this (App Manager, Ovi Store and Maemo Select) all play together, I don't know, as the latter two are an unknown quantity to me. From my point of view, App Manager is the tool that lets me (un)install what I want, perhaps the other two are a way for new users to figure out what they want, and perhaps also a way to purchase commercial apps.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post: