Active Topics

Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
Another newbie question:

With Scratchbox and Xephyr running I can see the basic desktop (with the green PS3 looking background). If I click on Application Manager and and then select catalogues there is a "NEW" button that launches the Add-a-catalogue form.

I've tried adding a repository but it doesn't seem to save it; so now I have a few questions.
Known bug in Beta 2.

1. Should I be able to load a catalogue in the SDK? If so How?

2. Can I hand edit it? I expected that the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list would be loaded here. (I've even used the red pill)
Yes, you can hand edit it while logged in the scratchbox.

3. Is it wrong for me to expect other applications to be loaded (contacts, calendar, etc) I realize this is a Development environment for our code, but I would assume you could still connect to other repositories just for testing learning purposes.

4. Do I not have the Fremantle Extras loaded correctly? If I go to
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...remantle/free/ with my browser I see a pile of apps and libraries. Do I have to explicitly Make and Install these?
Nothing is pre-installed as far as I know; however you can look at that url to find applications.

Then while in the X86 scratchbox use "apt-get install" application as long as their is a version of the application ends with a i386 it will install and run. For instance I used "apt-get install eightyone" in the x86 scratchbox and then when I click the "Applications" now, I show that as a runnable application inside my maemo emulated device. Otherwise you can download the source (if it is supplied) and compile it in the scratchbox and then run it. But for initial playing you can play with eightyone.

Nathan

I've a question for you Nathan.
First of all, thanks for your effort, this is really very helpful.

I didnt followed the whole discussion here, but it seems that you are using "scratchbox 1" in this virtual machine.

Personally, I'm using maemo-sdk+ with sb2, and I'm very happy with it, and it supposed to correct many of sb1 problems.

So, what do you think about it ? do you think it's worth an install script inside your vm ?

Originally Posted by karatchov View Post
I've a question for you Nathan.
First of all, thanks for your effort, this is really very helpful.

I didnt followed the whole discussion here, but it seems that you are using "scratchbox 1" in this virtual machine.

Personally, I'm using maemo-sdk+ with sb2, and I'm very happy with it, and it supposed to correct many of sb1 problems.
Out of curiosity what issues does SB1 have?

So, what do you think about it ? do you think it's worth an install script inside your vm ?
Sure, I have no issues with a script for SB2 and making the other scripts work with SB2.

Nathan.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Nathan,
could you possibly post a link to the repository with the scripts so I can use SVN to grab them.

I've decided to wipe a partition and just dual boot to ubuntu. The choppiness of VirtualPC and VMware on this laptop was unusable, not to mention the Undo disks started growing out of control to the point that I didn't have enough disk space to save. At this point I'm considering just wiping the Windows 7 partition all together.

EDIT: I've had a successful install so far (following the SDK install guide) about to install QT, but your start and stops scripts would be quite useful. I'll keep you updated.

I'm also thinking after both using your scripts and the install guide. It would be in the best interest to the community for everyone to use your scripts. they were seriously two clicks.

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2009-09-17 at 15:50.

I had heard about SB2, but hadn't investigated it. Since SB1 is the currently "supported" method.

I think I've answered my own question, about why to use SB2. First of all I found out the most recent version of QT supports SB2 targets!!!! SWEEETTTTT!!!! That will simplify things DRASTICALLY, for implementing QTCreator support! It should make cross-compiling much easier to get implemented! Second, because SB2 uses the main OS's binaries, you eliminate a huge amount of wasted disk space and un-needed installation time.

I'm going to play with it and if it works as well as it seems to, I will probably ditch the SB1 and go fully with SB2 so that I can get QT support much easier.

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
Nathan,
could you possibly post a link to the repository with the scripts so I can use SVN to grab them.

EDIT: I've had a successful install so far (following the SDK install guide) about to install QT, but your start and stops scripts would be quite useful. I'll keep you updated.

I'm also thinking after both using your scripts and the install guide. It would be in the best interest to the community for everyone to use your scripts. they were seriously two clicks.
Sorry VPC/VMW is so slow. I like VM's. I have my original 500 install drive backed up for distribution. Then I typically run without undo disks (unless I'm testing the scripts repeatedly)

You can get the repository information from: https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1033 and the current scripts should be under "Jaunty/trunk"

Nthan

from maemo-sdk+ garage project:
The biggest benefit of maemo SDK+ is that the developer no longer has to program in a closed environment. New development tools are easy to take into use and the overall developer experience is smooth, similar to developing natively in your host computer.
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'm going to play with it and if it works as well as it seems to, I will probably ditch the SB1 and go fully with SB2 so that I can get QT support much easier.
Maybe that would be an extreme decision.
As far as I know, it is possible to have both installed on the same machine.

from maemo-sdk+ garage project:
Maybe that would be an extreme decision.
As far as I know, it is possible to have both installed on the same machine.
You can have both; but for a VM and trying to make it as simple as possible (even for developers) is to eliminate as much of the cruft and make it simple. If their is no need for SB1 to be installed (because SB2 can handle it) then why waste the time d/l and installing it and the required dependancies.

I'll probably leave the SB1 script so that those who really want it can install it; but if I can get SB2 to work properly with QT Creator; then I'm not going to futz around trying to make QT Creator work with SB1 with all the extra overhead and issues SB1 brings to the table trying to make it work. I have thought out several ways of making SB1 work w/ QT Creator. Nothing real good for debugging though. But SB2 simplifies the whole process drastically (including debugging), and since QT/QMAKE actually supports SB2 targets, that is just an additional simplification for getting everything to work.

So, yeah on one hand it might be extreme to ditch some of the work I did, but if SB2 simplifies it by:
1. Using the native host toolchain (Lots of hd space saved)
2. Only storing the dev kit inside the SB. (lots of hd space saved)
3. Allowing host debug (easily)
4. Source Tree outside scratchbox (easily)
5. QT support for compile target in Scratchbox
6. Ability for me to run compiled apps outside of Scratchbox (meaning I can auto-start xephyr, start hildon & the app; after app is done, stop xephyr)

I'm all for a simpler QT integration setup. ;-D

Nathan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
@Nathan Sounds wonderful, really looking forward how this all spans out. Just a thought: maybe this topic could be renamed in order of more people finding out about this?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
nathan, thanks very much for all your effort!

i was going to wait for the final sdk release, but since you made it so convenient, i decided to give your image a look.

the install scripts worked like a charm, everything is set up and running after a few clicks.

i had a few issues with the resolution of the VM, whenever i tried to change it the refresh rate switched to something nonsensical. though that might have something to do with me trying on a vista sp0 machine (long story...).

regardless, since cygwin/x will happily accomodate xephyr and qtcreator, i can now mess around with qt-applications for fremantle seamlessly from my windows desktop.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:

Tags
development, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, programming, sdk, virtual machine, virtualpc, windows, windows 7