Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The moment Nokia realised MeeGo wouldn't meet their requirements

An article in Business Week, pointed to by Engadget, documents the moment that Stephen Elop, CEO of Nokia decided that MeeGo could not provide the future platform for Nokia:
At its current pace, Nokia was on track to introduce only three MeeGo-driven models before 2014-far too slow to keep the company in the game.
The problem with the account, which strives hard to present Elop as a considerate CEO with few remaining options besides turning to Microsoft, is two-fold. Absolutely, Nokia needed a shake-up, but Lou Gerstner faced simiar challenges at IBM in the early 90s and solved it by improving cross-company collaboration, reorganising the business and cutting swathes of middle managers. This, combined with the resulting cost savings from cutting headcount, should've meant Nokia were able to release three high-end MeeGo devices by the end of 2013; with Symbian filling in the featurephone market below it.

Ignoring iPod Touches, Apple release 2 iOS devices a year: a phone and a tablet; often with relatively minor improvements over the previous year's model. It's hard to believe that this business model around MeeGo devices couldn't have been similarly successful for Nokia. The organisation and pigeon-holing of devices into N-series for multimedia or E-series for business is the business organisation that needed to be addressed. The iPhone can do multimedia and busines requirements equally well, why couldn't a single MeeGo device from Nokia?

Elop's solution of going to another company to provide their platform fails to address the core issues plaguing Nokia that prevent them from being competitive in the market (namely middle-management bloat and incompetence; a multitude of confusing, unfocused compromise devices; and the inability to ship a quality platform). While, arguably, moving to Microsoft as the platform provider enables Nokia to focus on the hardware that has always been their strong poin; hitching themselves to what's currently not a winning horse (nor likely to be) while eliminating much of their differentiation potential isn't likely to put them in a good position.
Read more (engadget.com)

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • The moment Nokia realised MeeGo wouldn't meet their requirements
  2. Development
    • PySide 1.0.3 release officially supports MeeGo 1.2 N900 DE
    • Translation freeze for MeeGo 1.2.1 on 15th June
  3. Devices
    • Asus announce MeeGo netbook
    • Acer Iconia M500 tablet runs MeeGo on an Atom CPU
    • Nomovok port MeeGo to Nook Color
  4. In the Wild
    • Is one of MeeGo's problems its name?
    • Does MeeGo have a $32 license fee? No
    • Understanding MeeGo
  5. Announcements
    • Desktop flip clock
    • Extshortcut - desktop shortcuts in Maemo 5 of any size & icon

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
All threads like this do is make people think even more that MeeGo is doomed.

We already know Nokia scrubbed MeeGo but this thread is to prove what exactly?.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
lol ,no more maemo ,no more meego ?is it ?
N900 only now owns by maemo community ,new CEO is gonna let nokia hit the ground so soon .sad
fitey muh nokia ,lakhh di lanat e .

Last edited by prankster; 2011-06-06 at 08:26.

This thread is the front page & contents of the latest issue of MWKN, a crowdsourced digest of Maemo & MeeGo related news from across the Internet, as following all news sources is now too hard (e.g. the SNR on TMO).

As usual, the issue is announced on Twitter, via email, on talk.maemo.org, on forum.meego.com, on planet.maemo.org, on mwkn.net and via RSS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I fear it is only going to give stskeeps even more of a downward turn.

I disagree with negative threads like this if they are bringing down MeeGo.

It is having a bad enough time as it is without any further help especially from this community to dog matters even more.

PS is it not a better idea to just give it a miss rather than publisize this on Maemo.org?.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The organisation and pigeon-holing of devices into N-series for multimedia or E-series for business is the business organisation that needed to be addressed. The iPhone can do multimedia and busines requirements equally well, why couldn't a single MeeGo device from Nokia?
Because Nokia wanted to fight Balckberry and iPhones together. What is wrong with fixing Maemo 5 , real fast and quick and releasing a thinner version of n900?

Last edited by vivmak; 2011-06-06 at 08:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I fear it is only going to give stskeeps even more of a downward turn.
?

I disagree with negative threads like this if they are bringing down MeeGo.
?

This is not a negative thread. It's not negative about MeeGo. It's the front page & contents from this week's http://www.mwkn.net/ (please see the links I posted above). The front story is negative about Stephen Elop's management decisions that were backed by Nokia's board.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Err.

I get downward turns out of misinformation and people spreading it, facts and properly reported news doesn't.

Please stop talking on my behalf, abill_uk.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Err.

I get downward turns out of misinformation and people spreading it, facts and properly reported news doesn't.

Please stop talking on my behalf, abill_uk.
Like it or not your going to need as much support as you can possible get AND i am also interested very much in a finished MeeGo os for the N900 as i also have a business interest IF MeeGo gets that far !.

So for your information i speak for myself more.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Like it or not your going to need as much support as you can possible get AND i am also interested very much in a finished MeeGo os for the N900 as i also have a business interest IF MeeGo gets that far !.

So for your information i speak for myself more.
If you're interested in a "finished" MeeGo OS (which isn't really our goal) then contribute.

Tags
journal, mwkn_issue, news_digest, sticky wicket