Active Topics

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I understand that Symbian uses openVG vs OpenGL ES for Maemo and Meego. This probably implies binary blobs that would need cross licensing , APIs etc.

I would be interested if anyone has a better perspective on this.
Doesnt OpenVG stand for Open Vector Graphics? That sounds more like a SVG-codec.
Symbian does have OpenGL ES 2.0, just like other mobile systems.
And as long the app is made with Qt SDK it should be possible to run on Maemo/MeeGo and Symbian if it gets compiled for the target system.
I believe that the Qt binaries on the phone handle most of the compatibility.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
The future of phones is NOT the CPU, its the GPU. Same as with computers. At one point, a 3Ghz cpu meant power but now your PC is as only as strong as its GPU. Add a highend GPU to a celeron and you are game, get a blazing fast celeron WITHOUT a GPU or weak GPU and it is game over.

The N8 has an excellent GPU and the UI is GPU accelerated, the games are GPU accelerated, the Media is GPU accelerated.

What else needs to be said?
For some (surprisingly many, actually) people UI blitz, games and video are not the only thing they want to use their device for. If you take a peek at Extras, about 90%+ of apps would not be affected (except for generic workplace/window effects). Think about why, say, the OMAP3 platform members differ in CPU speeds and not GPU/DSP speeds. In essence, you're describing the console vs PC divide.

BB5 security will still be the same on n8. Hope lets put in mind symbian is the open source not nokia. Open source means it is open for development on any platform/devices and thats just it. Also bb5 security is integrated on the device itself not on the OS.

Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post

The N8 has an excellent GPU and the UI is GPU accelerated, the games are GPU accelerated, the Media is GPU accelerated.
does it?

what generation of PowerVR core is it? is it GLES 2.0 compliant?

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
does it?

what generation of PowerVR core is it? is it GLES 2.0 compliant?
PowerVR SGX530 like all OMAP3 based hardware. (the same used on N900)

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
BB5 security will still be the same on n8. Hope lets put in mind symbian is the open source not nokia. Open source means it is open for development on any platform/devices and thats just it. Also bb5 security is integrated on the device itself not on the OS.
BB5 security is implemented inside the OMAP rom bootloader(and some parts on the CMT).
A few years back, when i was in the unlocking phone business, i think i saw some gsmcity thread talking about flashing unsigned symbian images, but it required a expensive BB5 unlocking/flashing box... But i don't know if that technique works with the latest BB5 SL3 security...

Anyway, something like HaRet(which is used to boot a linux kernel on windows mobile) which is basically a tool that loads linux kernel into memory under an already running OS and then jumps into kernel entry point, should work, however you have to use some tool like HelloOX2(i dont know if it works on n8) to give your app "manufacturer access" to symbian API...

Last edited by Mulder3; 2010-06-10 at 17:41.

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
I thought N8's GPU is Broadcom BCM2727 chip. Not sure though, it's only a rumor.

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I thought N8's GPU is Broadcom BCM2727 chip. Not sure though, it's only a rumor.
BCM2727 is just a video encoder/decoder chip, not a SoC...

N8 has 650 Mhz ARM11. Isn't it lil too slow for MeeGo and fluent multitasking with X11?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mulder3 View Post
PowerVR SGX530 like all OMAP3 based hardware. (the same used on N900)
It’s not OMAP3, it’s an ARM11 chip at 680MHz, but it DOES have "2D/3D Graphics HW Accelerator with OpenVG1.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0 support" according to the spec sheet

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: