Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Case in point, for Maemo...

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9314
Relicensing reasons:

1. Fixing a bug: Positive, Might help fixing BME bugs
(https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6206)
2. Nurturing application development: none that I can see, except for
hardware hacks.
3. Spread of Maemo driven technologies to other platforms: Negative
4. Community maintenance: Positive, may help community maintence
5. Better architecture: Positive, userland process that covers a very
important component in the hardware interface

One or more projects: Mer, MeeGo, Gentoo, maybe even Maemo itself.

OK, so, conclusion:

To say it in a gentle way, BME is a can of worms. I will recommend against
reverse engineering it as this is not your grandfather's simple charging
algorithms and there is severe risk of blowing up things. There's a bunch of
patents and other things involved as well. While Nokia and Maemo may be happy
allow you to shoot yourself in the foot metaphorically, it may not be happy to
help injuring yourself physically

However, let us look at this in a practical way. The biggest issue currently
for all non-Maemo systems is redistributability of a very core component, the
charging and checks which without most OS'es actually would risk driving
battery below sane limits. I don't think this should be open source but I do
think we should be able to integrate it into our systems in a sane manner.

If there's bugs in BME, report them and let's see what we can do about them.
It's a critical enough component that we might be able to get bug fixing
support for the older devices too.

I'm proposing the following:

Priority MEDIUM since it's not a blocker, but I propose placing BME under a
license that allows binary redistribution and having that as goal. It's up for
discussion though if there's better ideas, keeping all the above in mind.
Just as an example... it was decided: we were protected from ourselves by Nokia from Nokia's own code (not a component manufacturer's). Now that the N900 has hit its end-of-life and Nokia is clearly no longer supporting or even responsible for anything anymore... we were left with the status of being denied and STILL dependent on the hope that bug reports will yield fixes and improvement from Nokia. Incredible. You can't even blame Texas Instruments or anyone else for this. Is there any way the Council can communicate to Nokia and cite these examples from the Wiki that I listed in my previous posts as the reasons why we would like them to finally, once and for all, just let Maemo go and open it up, for crying out loud?

The other work is important too (hosting repositories, etc.) but this one's a fight that has spanned YEARS and I'm not sure that anything else will matter without opening up as much of Maemo as possible (understanding that there probably will still be some that CAN'T be opened that doesn't fall into Nokia's permission to open).
I think securing the existing resources is priority before we move to other topics.

I agree council should made another requests for opening of the binaries for power management (dsme, mce), battery charging(bme).

It would be nice if they could open power management parts, but I think that might not be necessary, as long as we can interface with the hardware, we can develop our own.

As for bme, charging a battery is a critical blocker. We need interface specification as a minimum. Charging batteries is not that magical as they claim. I can understand they don't want to disclose their secrets, but would settle even for the less efficient simpler but safe charging algorithm. Any chance of Nokia assisting in that?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-05 at 10:04.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@momcilo - agree, having permission to host firmware and closed component binaries outside of nokia should be priority no 1.

Again - do we have a clue what nokia is thinking about that. If not, let council ask them

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
I think securing the existing resources is priority before we move to other topics.

I agree council should made another requests for opening of the binaries for power management (dsme, mce), battery charging(bme).

It would be nice if they could open power management parts, but I think that might not be necessary, as long as we can interface with the hardware, we can develop our own.

As for bme, charging a battery is a critical blocker. We need interface specification as a minimum. Charging batteries is not that magical as they claim. I can understand they don't want to disclose their secrets, but would settle even for the less efficient simpler but safe charging algorithm. Any chance of Nokia assisting in that?
What we also need is a member of the council here talking with us !.

NO we need ALL the council here talking with us !

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
...quote removed, as unwanted and avoidable...

Oh my God, man! You are not even willing to make a single wiki page, and yet you critisise the devs working on CSSU.

Ok, we all have understood and noted that you are all for the continuing development of Maemo and donot want it to see it die. We have also noted your repeated point that Meego is not Maemo.

Now my question is, what are you willing to do personally about this apart from posting here at TMO? You're not a coder, so we dont expect anything in that line.

1. How about testing and reporting bugs and help maemo move forward (with CSSU)? As far as i can see, you have not even installed CSSu till now, fearing instability. So, thats a No.

2. Make donations, or help in other monetary ways. Again, have you donated anything so far? No?

3. Make a wiki page to organise information and as a starting point. You have refused.

So, let me ask again, what exactly are you willing to do, to help the "progression" of Maemo?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-08-05 at 10:35. Reason: removed quote

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Oh my God, man! You are not even willing to make a single wiki page, and yet you critisise the devs working on CSSU.

Ok, we all have understood and noted that you are all for the continuing development of Maemo and donot want it to see it die. We have also noted your repeated point that Meego is not Maemo.

Now my question is, what are you willing to do personally about this apart from posting here at TMO? You're not a coder, so we dont expect anything in that line.

1. How about testing and reporting bugs and help maemo move forward (with CSSU)? As far as i can see, you have not even installed CSSu till now, fearing instability. So, thats a No.

2. Make donations, or help in other monetary ways. Again, have you donated anything so far? No?

3. Make a wiki page to organise information and as a starting point. You have refused.

So, let me ask again, what exactly are you willing to do, to help the "progression" of Maemo?
Instead of being sarcastic why dont you join in and be helpfull instead of try to be-little people ?.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Instead of being sarcastic why dont you join in and be helpfull instead of try to be-little people ?.
a. I am not joining in as I do not have enough knowledge about the workings of Nokia/Maemo Council to give them unsolicited advice and nor do I understand the issue at hand in detail. And I do not open my mouth unless I understand what I am talking about.
b. I try to do my part by testing out softwares, reporting bugs, helping in brainstorming, mockups, creating/maintaining wiki pages and occassionally creating and releasing scripts that others may find useful.

c. And finally I was not being sarcastic. It was/is a serious question: What are you willing to do?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Could people please stop quoting abill_uk in these important and interesting community threads? It always leads only to massive amounts of unconstructive noise that buries underneath it all that is worth reading and discussing.

abill_uk has his own community thread. Move it there.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
a. I am not joining in as I do not have enough knowledge about the workings of Nokia/Maemo Council to give them unsolicited advice and nor do I understand the issue at hand in detail. And I do not open my mouth unless I understand what I am talking about.
b. I try to do my part by testing out softwares, reporting bugs, helping in brainstorming, mockups, creating/maintaining wiki pages and occassionally creating and releasing scripts that others may find useful.

c. And finally I was not being sarcastic. It was/is a serious question: What are you willing to do?
Short answer to that is when i see an opening i will go for it, untill then i throw idea's is that ok SIR ?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Abill once again, step back and eat criticism as it is true. Don't fight back in a childish way. Be productive yourself and create the wikipage as you were asked for. You repeat yourself it makes me think you like to read yourself again and again or got some sort of dislexia.

Don't refuse! Start doing!

And do not tell that you have done anything (pictures or it never happened).

For all of you.

Thread cleansing kind of successful.

Please stop fighting - you are wasting your time as there will be someone wrong in the internets any time you check!

This thread holds some good ideas and needs some progress outside of the thread or nothing will happen.

Bring your own effort to the wiki yourself, send the link to counsellors. Join the cssu conversations on freenet and ask what you can do outside of coding to get some progress. Be helpful instead of a pain for forum moderators, please.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Well well well we ask for members of council and what do we get? a moderator instead but at least he gave us some idea's.

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down