Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
My friend has a slide up Samsung and it has a built in bluetooth messenger and I know of applications for Java that do the same thing, i.e. send messages via bluetooth. Is it possible a simple bluetooth messenger can be made for the N900? It would be very neat if I could communicate at work with it for "free".

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please read the Brainstorm rules.

This remembers me of irda texting...

Oh I didn't see that I needed to provide that kind of info. So what if I just have an idea but don't have like links and stuff?

should be quite easy to write such an app. plenty of protocols in bluetooth that support transfer of small packets of data..... but what would be the usefulness of this? u'd have to find someone else that has the same application to be able to decipher the data....??

what if they didn't need the same application but just a similar one.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
I suggest you look into the messaging protocol used by samsung and any other apps.

If you can provide these people may be more interested in looking into implementing them.

To be honest the greatest use I can think of for such an app is teenage girls passing free messages in class.

But I have been in a few meetings that would make this useful (because free) but it would rely on using a standard that could be implemented on most bluetooth phones.

hence look into the protocols used and see if we can copy them Having the n900 able to mimic multiple other phones would be poss?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluechat

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-10-18 at 15:09.

Well honestly guys, it was just an idea of mines, I wouldn't know how to get protocols and all the technical stuff, I just had an idea I wanted to share.

maybe this will interest you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bV-zoiHKwc

who knows if it would ever be released though

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
maybe this will interest you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bV-zoiHKwc

who knows if it would ever be released though
That's really nice, but unfortunately in my country this won't be too handy because our telecommunications company (can you believe this) only supplies data plans for Blackberry devices and there data plans for other devices is crazy, you get 1Mb for $5TTD equivalent to $30USD SMH

Hmm, that Nokia Instant Community does look quite cool. I'm not sure I'd ever use it mind you, but I like the idea.

I don't see why one couldn't implement an app like this to use both ad-hoc wifi and also Bluetooth (to not limit yourself to high-end phones). You'd certainly need to write some Symbian clients for it to get a critical mass (though it would be quite useful for Maemo/Meego conferences as is).