Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Ok first of all, I never really used MMS, maybe once or twice for testing, when we had no email and 3g internet on mobile phones (good ol' days, ye).

But seriously, if the majority of the community really needs this feature, (what I heavily doubt) it should be implemented by Nokia nativly. An additional MMS app is crap & you all know that. =p

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cherrypie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
in the good ol' days phones didn't have 3g, colour screens (never mind touch screens) or phones with installable applications and (further back) used analog signaling and (further back) were wired into walls..

That doesn't detract from the need to implement this feature.

MMS has significant usage. Nokia have probably dropped the ball a bit with ommiting this feature.. (compare it to video 3g calls and I think it is safe to say MMS is required) Most importantly operators charge loads of cash for MMS messages.. so failing to support it will "cost them money" on this device..

Anywho.. poking around the Message stuff, I'd like to implement MMS as a service, not an application. I was looking at converting MMS messages into HTML and storing them as openable objects in the message database.. render them with the browser perhaps.. dunno.. but I appeciate your "additional app is crap" but the front end is actually only half the struggle..

Besides, it is a hackable platform.. I'm looking forward to having a go even if I know Nokia will only release a firmware update next year or some such that makes it all a bit pointless!

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
All these clever hacks to prevent IP address clashes - or at least stop them from being a problem.... I've done similar things myself on other devices - which need to connect to a wired and wireless network at the same time, with each network having it's own independent DHCP.

So what does the N900 do when you're on a WLAN, 3G, or Bluetooth PAN at the same time?

That can clash too. Easily: I've had 192.168.x.y addresses assigned when connected over 3G on other phones. The same ranges are often used for WLANs, and on PANs (I mean for local file transfer among Bluetooth devices, not providing an uplink).

That must have been solved somehow. How's it done, and why can't the MMS gateway use the same method?

Please don't tell me you can only have one of WLAN, 3G or PAN running at once!

Last edited by jjx; 2009-11-21 at 03:02.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Default connectivity setup indeed supports only one access point working out of defined ones. So this problem of WLAN, 3G, or Bluetooth PAN at the same time is not existing for standard N900 setup.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
If I remember correctly, the device uses icd2 for managing its internet connection. An application requests internet access via dbus and icd2 brings a connection up according to what is available.. however, it supports only one connection.

This is a bit different to Symbian's approach and eventually, to support MMS, I guess icd might need to support multiple connections.. (bring up the MMS connection, bring up a VoIP connection, bring up the internet) but currently that's not possible..

I could be wrong.. I'm eager to get one of these devices so I can try out some techniques, but being in the UK it's all a bit hit and miss at the moment

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Winter Springs, FL
First off, I lack alot of coding skills as I have had about a year of class in Java (I don't like it, but whatever), so I can only provide text to coding ideas. Something I just thought of a couple minutes ago, not sure how well it will run (if it will :P )

You're gonna have to follow my rough outline of how the messages will travel (feel free to explain any shortcomings of this).

A few programs that will make it run: Web Server run locally (pretty sure I saw it on the extras-devel depository), MMS program that processes the messages and turns them into plain .jpg/jpeg files to run on the web server, and alot of clever coding.

1.Original Phone: Sends MMS to destination phone number.
2.Destination Phone: Identifies it is not SMS, sends to local web server MMS program.
3.MMS Program: Takes MMS, converts to Jpg/Jpeg, sends report to messaging (not sure how yet, maybe a notification or SMS?).
4.Destination Phone: Opens web browser to local server to image folder or file manager to images or just straight to Images app (could be used instead of notification, just open Images app).

Now to do that in reverse, I have no idea :\

Anyone?

EDIT: By the way, I presume that you can steal the SMS/MMS incoming messages (hopefully they aren't just discarded).

Last edited by TheJesus; 2009-12-30 at 07:02.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
You can cut the webserver part out as I said on irc earlier today.

Progress report on my efforts: Am now receiving MMS (as long as the WAP Push is over SMS, haven't tried IP as it seems I'm only getting SMS Push) - gets the MMS from the mmsc as long as there is no other connection open. Otherwise the SMS Push is saved so you can get the MMS whenever (as long as it's still on the server I guess).

No integration with conversations or whatever, basically just a proof-of-concept sort-of hack. Have to clean up the code and make sure the python mms lib I use got a decent license before posting

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Saw you tweet this. Wow! just... Wow!

bleh took me time to figure that u cant register with the upright register button to speak there... but im here...

Ok so basicly,
from what i read, we have 2 kind of solution writen there,
Both are push to mail like (one is getting the info itself, second respond to sms by getting the info)

So both should be background task running,

1st one should check like 30min all that will be needed is to taskmanage this,
(guys u dont need MMS more than once a day so 30min sounds good and no power hungry) could even add a small synchronise now button (say with battery ones)

The other one is going to run also in background but dont have to synchronise time based, the only PB i see there is that we have some provider that are quite lazy at sending the SMS... (mean i heard about 2 days...) but fact is there whatever is the way... u still get ur MMS.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Progress update: Just sent myself an MMS from the N900, it arrived but I *think* it's a bit borked as my decoder failed... It did send something at least!

Note: This has only been tested on my specific setup, no idea how it works on any other setups - gonna start the cleanup work now and hope I don't break anything

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainstorm, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, n900