Active Topics

Is there any way at all to reset this security password myself instead of having the thing "repaired"?

I understand that reflashing the firmware doesn't reset the security code, but what about eMMC? I just can't believe I would have to send this off so soon, and only due to my own laziness or forgetfulness. There has to be some way for you to reset the whole thing. I can browse some of the user documents but nothing else. Windows even detects that there is another partition there but it cannot read it. When I plug it up running ubuntu in vmware it only picks up the user docs partition. Maybe there is a method to mount the other partition and delete the password file?

Any help? I've done some searching but come up with nothing.

Well I bit the bullet as I had nothing to lose really and decided to reflash eMMC and the us version of the firmware. This DOES let you start again on a clean slate for the fools amongst us that forget their security code.

That makes sense... the only way around the passcode should be to destroy the passcode protected data.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
From what I know the lock code does not actually reset on reflashing. Just doesn't get activated. If you try to activate it it will ask you about the code again and in this case you need to enter whatever you have set it in the past.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Ok it's not really on topic but i have a question that fits here. When i type sudo reboot it asks for a password, what is the default password?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
There isn't any. You would first need to set one up. You can also issues a reboot command through dbus - see User:Jebba wiki page.

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
From what I know the lock code does not actually reset on reflashing. Just doesn't get activated. If you try to activate it it will ask you about the code again and in this case you need to enter whatever you have set it in the past.
You are correct, unfortunately. The only thing that remains on my n900 is that passcode. Hopefully someone will eventually develop a way to reset the code. I'm just glad that after all the reflashing the first thing I saw was the region setup and not "enter device lock code"

I sure hope so. My device had a passcode set out of the box! And I doubt any Australian Nokia service centres will touch an n900 under warranty as they're not being sold here...... !!

I might investigate but not feeling lucky..

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808

I've written a program that resets it; and R-R described a method to retrieve the current lock code.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post: