Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Diamonds are only worthwhile normally when people cut, facet and polish them.

In this case, Nokia took those diamonds, dumped them in the trash, picked up a turd, tried to polish it, labeled it their best strategy and it all stunk up the place.

Meanwhile, people are arguing over details whereas the biggest detail has been left out - no updates, no movement, no OS support and nothing new will be coming down the pipe at all.

Diamond indeed.
updates for Harmattan are still coming, meanwhile PR1.3
and even though you will promptly discard it, CSSU is just that... Seamless Software Updates
you can't deny Community is being backed by NOKIA.

diamonds are forever

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
updates for Harmattan are still coming
The modern geek mantra is "until it happens, it's vaporware"

...you can't deny Community is being backed by NOKIA
Not for much longer, unfortunately.

diamonds are forever
But Nokia support isn't, unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rafpac View Post
The problem of people like you is that you do not respect other people to understand what they are trying to say and you immediately take an offensive stance.
You have just become my favorite poster.

You've approached this entire thread with a poise that... I truly didn't expect. Glad to see that you're bringing opinion, fact and experience to the table in a manner that's not lowering yourself to the pending argument in this thread.

Bravo. Sorry that the N9 wasn't a fit for you, I'm still holding onto to both of mine to keep as things either settle or the fruits of the labors of the N950 owners start to trickle in past a few very active devs and let's see how that shakes down.

Who knows, there could be life in this capable platform after all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Hi gerbick, I see you've changed your avatar. Frankly I like the old one better, it has a sort of 'homely' look while this one looks a little sinister but no offense.

I like your statement:

In this case, Nokia took those diamonds (N9), dumped them in the trash, picked up a turd, tried to polish it, labeled it their best strategy and it all stunk up the place.
Just to give you guys an idea of this 'turd' called Lumia 900, users cannot let their battery run down flat or it will go into constant reboot when you try to charge it up. We've heard of N9 users tinkering with their firmware and getting into trouble but no need for any special effort for Lumia.

This is one, just one of the defects of Nokia's new Microsoft inspired uber phone. As this thread isn't about Lumia, I'll stop here.

P.S. In case readers think I'm making this up (very forgivable) I'll supply a link.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-06-04 at 03:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
...Just to give you guys an idea of this 'turd' called Lumia 900, users cannot let their battery run down flat or it will go into constant reboot when you try to charge it up. We've heard of N9 users tinkering with their firmware and getting into trouble but no need for any special effort for Lumia.

This is one, just one of the defects of Nokia's new Microsoft inspired uber phone. As this thread isn't about Lumia, I'll stop here.

P.S. In case readers think I'm making this up (very forgivable) I'll supply a link.
Thanx for that heads-up!

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
nana naaa. in fact i use my n9 more often than my sgs2 and dump my lumia already. sgs3 has bad design. *sigh

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Wisconsin
And if I have offended you by pointing fingers at Nokia...well I am sorry but it is true, Nokia is going to be bought out, they ruined a perfectly good device i waited so long for...and thus I vent.

And for people telling me it is my mistake to move away, well then give me reasons you think why I shouldn't go to a competitor. I have given you 5 reasons for my debate.

Nokia didn't ruin a great device they did us a favor releasing a phone they can't profit from. This is a loss leader, they are tradeing us as beta testers to learn from ui elements. In the modern day of smartphone a smartphone cannot survive without an ecosystem. Nokia can't do an ecosystem by themselves they have failed at every attempt so they teamed with microsoft to build one.

I also had a n900, also lots of symbian and a few androids. I get the dissapointment but its not elops fault or nokias fault, the market has changed and you have to adapt or die. Symbian wasn't able to adapt so it died. Meego was to late, if meego got here 3-4 years ago maybe this would be different but bag management in nokias past was to slow and meego and symbain got left in the dust. Don't blame elop, look how fast symbian has moved since him, but its to little to late.

It just sucks, but this phone was dead on arrival, elop or nokia didn't promise meamo ports, they said symbian ports with qt and we got a lot of them. Cutetube, fmobi, facinate, gnewreader, etc...

Nokia didn't mislead, they said a one off device with some updates. This is for them to learn from these ui elements that they made and use them in future devices. They did not realease it in thier major markets and did not spend money on marketing, so they gave it almost no sales support.

People also go on forums and blame other people, blame yourself, blame bad luck, blame free market forces.

" Oh and thank you for taking money from me for buying a phone you didn't care about." Really ELOP said at the launch device that this will be a one and only device, it will get some updates (true) but there will only be one. That means little support, little apps. That statement you made is my point. You made the choice to buy this phone, you knew little apps and little support, you knew limitied life cycle, but you blame others because your not happy. But its your fault. I waited 6 months to get mine because I wasn't sure, I read reviews, I researched apps, I listened to owners on podcasts talking about it. I decided it was for me and I was right. If I turned out to be wrong I wouldn't make a thread blaming the CEO of nokia for taking my money for a phone he didn't care about. I would blame myself for making a bad choice.

"You know we never wanted dual cores, quad cores, 10 inch displays blah blah blah.....we just wanted a successor to our N900 or a phone with linux and better apps...we got neither, so folks quit telling yourselves otherwise, denial is being weak." Well I called you ignorant and called myself a dick, but saying any of us happy with our device is also being a dick. When I saw the launch event for this phone I was torn being happy and sad. This didn't look like an evolution to the n900 it looked totally new. No homescreen, no keyboard, totally different ui, no flash. There are elements still, like the contacts(which are amazing). But again this device was DOA, the n900 wasn't announced DOA but was as a beta device. So again you go with better apps, YOU ARE NOT GETTING A TON OF GREAT APPS ON A ONE TIME OS. It would be foolish to think so. I am not in denial, I know what I got myself into with purchasing this device, you were in denial of what it was. You wanted it to be something it wasn't built to be. Who is in denial? Those of us that knew what we were getting into and are happy with it knowing the limitations, or someone who thought it was something it wasn't.

"Well since it wasn't so underground as my N900 but Nokia made it more mainstream didn't they? So where is my temple run, shazam, draw free, instagram, viber and Documents to go? Hell my Nokia N900 had Documents to go. Wait there is hope you know, Alien Dalvik, ACL and Icedrobot..........no wait legal issues, oems, no interest from Nokia." So back to this, instagram, again android just got this. Android the biggest and fastest mobile platform on the planet just got it, only the second OS to get it, just a bit ago and you think that meego would get it. I really ask this question. Are you insane? Meego would be the last platform they would build this for, if you think that instagram would possibly come to meego then your nuts, or ignorant about mobile development. The apps we will see will be homebrew apps. Nothing comercial. Janole from gravity won't consider taking the time to bring gravity here. The only ports we will see will be qt apps. Look at the symbian install base and we are seeing new symbian phones and instagram has no plans for symbian. Why would they go meego. You're crazy. This is my problem with your post. If you were expecting these things you bought the wrong phone. You, not nokia, not elop, nobody but yourself made a bad choice. So your post should of been.

Sad Realization, I wanted so bad for the n9 to be something it wasn't and I regret spending my hard earned money on it. In this day and age and the cost and time to make a mobile device my dream device will never be made and I have to look hard to find the device that best fits my needs, the n9 isn't it as much as I wanted it to be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by derch View Post
Nokia didn't ruin a great device they did us a favor releasing a phone they can't profit from. This is a loss leader, they are tradeing us as beta testers to learn from ui elements. In the modern day of smartphone a smartphone cannot survive without an ecosystem. Nokia can't do an ecosystem by themselves they have failed at every attempt so they teamed with microsoft to build one.

I also had a n900, also lots of symbian and a few androids. I get the dissapointment but its not elops fault or nokias fault, the market has changed and you have to adapt or die. Symbian wasn't able to adapt so it died. Meego was to late, if meego got here 3-4 years ago maybe this would be different but bag management in nokias past was to slow and meego and symbain got left in the dust. Don't blame elop, look how fast symbian has moved since him, but its to little to late.

It just sucks, but this phone was dead on arrival, elop or nokia didn't promise meamo ports, they said symbian ports with qt and we got a lot of them. Cutetube, fmobi, facinate, gnewreader, etc...

Nokia didn't mislead, they said a one off device with some updates. This is for them to learn from these ui elements that they made and use them in future devices. They did not realease it in thier major markets and did not spend money on marketing, so they gave it almost no sales support.

People also go on forums and blame other people, blame yourself, blame bad luck, blame free market forces.

" Oh and thank you for taking money from me for buying a phone you didn't care about." Really ELOP said at the launch device that this will be a one and only device, it will get some updates (true) but there will only be one. That means little support, little apps. That statement you made is my point. You made the choice to buy this phone, you knew little apps and little support, you knew limitied life cycle, but you blame others because your not happy. But its your fault. I waited 6 months to get mine because I wasn't sure, I read reviews, I researched apps, I listened to owners on podcasts talking about it. I decided it was for me and I was right. If I turned out to be wrong I wouldn't make a thread blaming the CEO of nokia for taking my money for a phone he didn't care about. I would blame myself for making a bad choice.

"You know we never wanted dual cores, quad cores, 10 inch displays blah blah blah.....we just wanted a successor to our N900 or a phone with linux and better apps...we got neither, so folks quit telling yourselves otherwise, denial is being weak." Well I called you ignorant and called myself a dick, but saying any of us happy with our device is also being a dick. When I saw the launch event for this phone I was torn being happy and sad. This didn't look like an evolution to the n900 it looked totally new. No homescreen, no keyboard, totally different ui, no flash. There are elements still, like the contacts(which are amazing). But again this device was DOA, the n900 wasn't announced DOA but was as a beta device. So again you go with better apps, YOU ARE NOT GETTING A TON OF GREAT APPS ON A ONE TIME OS. It would be foolish to think so. I am not in denial, I know what I got myself into with purchasing this device, you were in denial of what it was. You wanted it to be something it wasn't built to be. Who is in denial? Those of us that knew what we were getting into and are happy with it knowing the limitations, or someone who thought it was something it wasn't.

"Well since it wasn't so underground as my N900 but Nokia made it more mainstream didn't they? So where is my temple run, shazam, draw free, instagram, viber and Documents to go? Hell my Nokia N900 had Documents to go. Wait there is hope you know, Alien Dalvik, ACL and Icedrobot..........no wait legal issues, oems, no interest from Nokia." So back to this, instagram, again android just got this. Android the biggest and fastest mobile platform on the planet just got it, only the second OS to get it, just a bit ago and you think that meego would get it. I really ask this question. Are you insane? Meego would be the last platform they would build this for, if you think that instagram would possibly come to meego then your nuts, or ignorant about mobile development. The apps we will see will be homebrew apps. Nothing comercial. Janole from gravity won't consider taking the time to bring gravity here. The only ports we will see will be qt apps. Look at the symbian install base and we are seeing new symbian phones and instagram has no plans for symbian. Why would they go meego. You're crazy. This is my problem with your post. If you were expecting these things you bought the wrong phone. You, not nokia, not elop, nobody but yourself made a bad choice. So your post should of been.

Sad Realization, I wanted so bad for the n9 to be something it wasn't and I regret spending my hard earned money on it. In this day and age and the cost and time to make a mobile device my dream device will never be made and I have to look hard to find the device that best fits my needs, the n9 isn't it as much as I wanted it to be.
nice,

do some research before buy something, thats right, absolutely

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Wisconsin
1. Blue Maemo very useful tool developed by valerio for the N900 even he said it was impossible on the N9 because of Aegis.
2. Grooveshark....I am sorry but I don't live in the US and thus do not have privilege of spotify. I need grooveshark and guess what even a dumb phone like the iphone has one.
3. Shazam a very basic software but completely useful for people of all interests. Everyone likes music.
4. Temple run and other popular games..... yeah I know I shouldn't care about what my friends play but I want to play a game where I can compete with my friends. I have been tapping away on Dalton which is an excellent game and show my score to other people but they dont have the game so they dont get it.
5. Skype video call.
6. H.264 playback....seriously I want the convenience of of putting almost any type of media files or atleast the popular ones into my phone memory and play it back with no glitches.
7. A VNC client to access my computer.
So these apps are not practical. Grooveshark, we are not going to see many corperate official apps, not going to happen on a one time OS. Meego isn't going to make developers lots of money so people doing this will do it for the love of a platform.

Temple run, your nuts if you think we are going to get big time games that you can play against your friends with. Angry birds is the biggest mobile game out there and I bet the only reason we got that is because rovio is located in finland. Why on earth would we get a lot of big time game titles that you could play against your friends on other platforms with. If symbian barley got them and it was the worlds largest installed user base why would the worlds smallest installed base get them. The answer is we wouldn't and you would have to be nuts to think we would. Its really basic math.

Skype video call, thats going to take a lot of work and money to get it working right................... nuff said I hope.

6&7 maybe, but you need to find someone that is willing to do it. but again you knew this would have the least amount of apps of any mobile device on the market, so maybe not.

You can't buy a one time DOA phone and expect it to grow in apps. Before I bought it I checked the app store and sites like this and n9-apps. I checked what I needed off my list. It had everything I "needed" missed somethings I wanted so I tooks the pluses and the minuses and decided to buy it. You bought it hoping to get app support on a platform with no future when the apps didn't come you said we were in denial. I'm not in denial about my device, I know what it is, what to expect from it. I have my wishes but don't expect them to come true, they are wishes after all.

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
This is what I like to do on my mobile,

Surt web using Opera, open multiple tabs and in the middle of replying post at many forums. Oh there is text comes in, "save" the "snapshot" of my Opera in the background and reply to the text, and open back Opera and continue to surf internet/reply-to-post from all my tabs opened previously.

My task above definitely fail on Android/iOS, it will automatically kills Opera..which will make Opera re-launch its application and reload back the web...lost all my reply-in-the-making

On Symbian or N9 I used, it never fail to deliver my task above..

So..my task...Serial Tasking or Multi Tasking?
For the record, this is not true on iOS. Doing all of that will cause no problems with it. I have a large amount of appreciation for the N9, but iOS gets stepped on way, way too much on this forum. That's the kind of blindness that lead to Nokia's downfall.

On the iPhone, Opera (if coded properly) will be taken out of the run queue, a snapshot made of the memory, and returned when you return to it. Form filled and all.

And also, most of the multitasking things people talk about here work great on an iPhone. You can surf while on a phonecall. You can listen to music in the background. Webpages load in the background. Applications get installed. You can have GPS running in the background while doing something else. Skype calls will come in. The average user will be hard pushed to find anything multitask-wise that an N9 can do that an iPhone can't.

The iOS kernel is a normal Darwin kernel and is fully capable of everything the Linux kernel can do. Apple has just decided to restrict access to process management to a set of APIs for specific types of tasks (for battery management reasons). My iPhone can easily beat my N9 when it comes to battery life in normal everyday use.

The only things I've really come across myself is SSH and IRC, which can lose connection after some time in the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to Setok For This Useful Post:

Tags
disappointment, lack of apps, specc=ericsson, tizen is savior