Notices

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
1. Always connected. There's no account login/logout at all and this is tied to blackberry's online connection mechanism. (very reliable)
2. Message 'tracking': unsent, sent to server, sent to recipient, read by recipient.
3. Advanced image sharing automation: auto image resize and preview.
4. Blackberry 'groups': persistent group chat, image sharing area within the group complete with comments section, group tasks and calendar sharing. All this within the BBM interface.

The points above are why I personally think BBM is better (in terms of UX) and features than just about any other IM services. But the main reason that I think BBM is special is because it brings IM to people who usually don't IM.

On top of that, I really get plenty of saving using BBM because I travel a lot. Data roaming cost is helluva expensive; and blackberry's compression and connection optimizations really make a difference on the monthly bill to me.
I have never fully understood why the BBM makes RIM so popular... I honestly don't understand why it has so special over other IMs or SMS. Text messaging is now almost always included in monthly plans, if not, one can added the option for a low price, and that is not considering Retention plans, so:
1) Turn your antennas on and your SMS is "always connected" as well, never needing to log in neither, and it is tied to your provider's servers, which is almost 99.9% reliable. (I've never sent an sms that was never received... even if the receiver has the phone turned off, as soon as it is turned back on, the sms will appear)
2) You can also track sms. On my N900, without any 3rd party apps, right out of the box, I can track when the server has received my message, and when the recipient has received it. Ok no, I cannot tell if the recipient has actually clicked on it and read it, but as soon as he has received it, it is up to him to read it. That's like having an app to tell you who has you blocked on MSN or wtv...
3) Really? What about fMMS? auto resize or choose your own specify size and of course preview it. Plus, it is mainly a minority of users that actually send pictures via messaging. Yes true, you could bring up cost on MMS, which is usually 50 cents, or add unlimited option for 5$.
4) Group chats, ok, that we do not have on N900 out of the box. I mean... yes, you could select multiple contacts and send the same sms to all of them. But of course, you still have the option of having IMs to do the job, and your service provider could come in handy. Here in canada, we have Fido (and probably also Rogers), that lets you create a group of contacts, of which you always send sms (and they call that service "Extreme Text Messaging"...go figure).

So in conclusion, the only benefit I see to BBM, are to the people who don't want an additional 5$ charge on their account... I tend to comparer SMS a lot to BBM, because if you have BBM, it means you have a cell, and if you have a cell, you also have SMS. As I still don't see anything that RIM is offering that would be so spectacular. And btw, I am not hating on you ysss, I just honestly trully don't understand what makes RIM so popular, lol. In my opinion, BBM users are just uneducated as to what more there is in the actual market.

Last edited by IsaacDFP; 2010-12-27 at 19:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
don't feed the trolls...

He has just *3* post.....
Plus...has anybody put any attention to this...? lol :P

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
There is no BBM app for iphones. If you are referring to the youtube video I am sure it is fake.
Yea there is an app called "kik" for iphones...it allows iphone users to bbm with blackberries...I know because my parents have that app and use it to bbm my siblings who have blackberries

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiaqueen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
I have never fully understood why the BBM makes RIM so popular... I honestly don't understand why it has so special over other IMs or SMS. Text messaging is now almost always included in monthly plans, if not, one can added the option for a low price, and that is not considering Retention plans, so:
1) Turn your antennas on and your SMS is "always connected" as well, never needing to log in neither, and it is tied to your provider's servers, which is almost 99.9% reliable. (I've never sent an sms that was never received... even if the receiver has the phone turned off, as soon as it is turned back on, the sms will appear)
2) You can also track sms. On my N900, without any 3rd party apps, right out of the box, I can track when the server has received my message, and when the recipient has received it. Ok no, I cannot tell if the recipient has actually clicked on it and read it, but as soon as he has received it, it is up to him to read it. That's like having an app to tell you who has you blocked on MSN or wtv...
3) Really? What about fMMS? auto resize or choose your own specify size and of course preview it. Plus, it is mainly a minority of users that actually send pictures via messaging. Yes true, you could bring up cost on MMS, which is usually 50 cents, or add unlimited option for 5$.
4) Group chats, ok, that we do not have on N900 out of the box. I mean... yes, you could select multiple contacts and send the same sms to all of them. But of course, you still have the option of having IMs to do the job, and your service provider could come in handy. Here in canada, we have Fido (and probably also Rogers), that lets you create a group of contacts, of which you always send sms (and they call that service "Extreme Text Messaging"...go figure).

So in conclusion, the only benefit I see to BBM, are to the people who don't want an additional 5$ charge on their account... I tend to comparer SMS a lot to BBM, because if you have BBM, it means you have a cell, and if you have a cell, you also have SMS. As I still don't see anything that RIM is offering that would be so spectacular. And btw, I am not hating on you ysss, I just honestly trully don't understand what makes RIM so popular, lol. In my opinion, BBM users are just uneducated as to what more there is in the actual market.
Obviously I can't help someone for not wanting to understand

You should see the difference even by rereading your own replies; you're 'making do' with an inferior solution, which is ok for you but maybe not ok for others.

In summary:
- Technically, they include more features than SMS/MMS or competing IMs. (Features/cost = cheaper).
- Some of those features are very group-friendly/social. (Friends will get friends into BBM).
- It's proprietary, with tight lock-in mechanism. (Their way or the highway).
- They're used by huge enterprises. (Jobs requirement, company subsidies, etc).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Obviously I can't help someone for not wanting to understand
Lol could not have said it better.

Anyway this could offer some hope of us having bb messenger without having to carry around boring blackberries. I would gladly pay RIM £10 a month or something of the like to have bb messenger on android device.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/r...going-cross-p/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Botswana, Gaborone
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Lol could not have said it better.

Anyway this could offer some hope of us having bb messenger without having to carry around boring blackberries. I would gladly pay RIM £10 a month or something of the like to have bb messenger on android device.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/r...going-cross-p/
thats somee good good news hope this process does not take long with RIM!!!!

Hey guys.

Please check my thread that I just created, it relates to this but to save me reposting the same thing here is the link

Qt version of PingChat!

Thanks

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

not out yet????

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
any good news ?

Hi
First, my english is not good.

Second, I had a Nokia E90 and with the BlackBerry Connect for Symbian S60 I used to have on I had a BB PIN, I mean I had the supposed code inside of the phone's ROM, just with a software, so, it is possible to emulate the code.

Third, I think could be easy to support the other companies who are looking for programmers who assist then with the QT and Python, like Liveprofile, Pingchat, Whatsapp...

If you need the official RIM/Nokia Blackberry Connect for Symbian S60 (yes, it was developed by Nokia and RIM), I still have it.

Chemy

Tags
messaging, no you aren't, pingchat