Hi,

I'm a disappointed customer of Nokia Asha 311. It lacks many basic functionalities.

Is there anyway I can run MeeGo, etc on it?

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:
sure ..when pigs fly ! lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karan5chaos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Jolla, some long time ago, claimed that they can port Sailfish OS (it's Mer-based, just like Meego?) to any phone (within a week or two?). I wonder if they would be willing...

So far, I haven't heard of any alternative OS on Asha (not that I searched much). The main question: is the bootloader on Asha locked?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
The main question: is the bootloader on Asha locked?

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
Thank you for replying. I must confess I'm completely clueless about the bootloader thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nirasha_user For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
i think its locked. otherwise you have already seen an Android port for it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Unfortunately this is not possible and with a high certainity never will be.

Regardless on whether the bootloader is locked or not, no port is possible for a device which has undocumented HW.
Ports to Android-based devices are easy because there is existing linux kernel with working HW adaptation. Same goes for N900 and N9.

For all Ashas and Lumias, as well as for example iOS and BB devices this is not possible, ever.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
i think its locked. otherwise you have already seen an Android port for it.
Being locked or not is not relevant here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Regardless on whether the bootloader is locked or not, no port is possible for a device which has undocumented HW.
Ports to Android-based devices are easy because there is existing linux kernel with working HW adaptation. Same goes for N900 and N9.
Ok, I can see that there is no existing linux kernel compiled specifically for Asha 311. But what kind of HW documentation would be needed to begin to do such a kernel-or-whatever?..

Service manual
Service manual and schematics

Or just search for "RM-714" "Service manual" in engine of your choice (DuckDuckGo was what I used), and the documents will spring out at you.

I do not know anything about compiling operating system for a different hardware. I just heard that the reason for BB devices to not-run an alternative operating system is locked boot-loader - that's why that was my first question.

Article about operating system of Asha does not mention the boot-loader to be locked or unlocked...

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
nirasha_user, Ashas are inferior to smartphones produced 5 years ago, hardware-wise. It's not wise to waste your time on them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
An Asha 311 has 128MB of RAM and a slow as ***** processor. It is an impossibility to have it run anything other than Series 40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia asha, opensourcephone