Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
So does this version allow you to set up desktop environment? How about some screen shots!

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Never used an N9, or Sailfish on anything other than a Jolla...

In general I think it feels more 'shiny' than Sailfish, but under the glitter Sailfish makes more sense, but that may be just me being stuck in a 'desktop full of icons' mindset. I hate the unity desktop on my various PCs too, they all have cinnamon or gnome fallback or similar.

I can forgive it missing features, and bugs, as I do/did the Jolla when that came out. Likewise the slow startup of phone and messaging apps - these are things that every user will hate and I'm sure they'll get fixed.

I make much fewer typos with the vkb than I do on Jolla, that may be just down to screen size. I hate typing on the Jolla vkb because my fat fingers get in the way... my TOHKBD hasn't arrived yet

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
So does this version allow you to set up desktop environment? How about some screen shots!
AFAIK, it does not - at least without jumping through hoops. The code is present in Unity8, I believe but not enabled.

Whether you could drop out of unity and into another DE I dunno, yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
I missed the edit of your post...

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Terminating apps (with one hand): a swipe from right produces a stacked view of each active screen, including the "home" screen (the one with scopes). Apps get terminated by upwards flicking of the relevant page. Three issues for now: 1) it is not always quickly evident which is the home screen and one can needlessly flick at it (not being killable it bounces back down; 2) it is sometimes awkward to "get a grip" on a screen to do the flick (they then shift left/right in the scrolling action) and 3) there is no way to kill the active app in one gesture - you have to swipe right, re-position the thumb (whatever digit) and then flick upwards and this is a tad irritating.
I just found that swipe from the right into the centre of the screen, then lift, parks the various pages in 'portfolio' form. (Maybe this is what you meant and I misunderstood?) You can then flick up or down to kill individual apps as required. Still not one gesture, but not as clunky as I was finding it to be initially

The Following User Says Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Maybe this is what you meant and I misunderstood?
It was :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
Well, I can reply to your question straight from the browser with no problems
The virtual keyboard is a little too keen to pop up (such as when I try to pan around to choose a smiley) but I find thats true of most devices I've tried.
so you can see the cusor and place it in any part of the text when editing? copy and paste in browser ?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
so you can see the cuRsor INSERTED HERE and place it in any part of the text when editing? copy and paste in browser ?
Placing the cursor is no problem (in quote above), except the usual fatfingering. No cut / paste as far as I can see in the browser. I can bring up the graphical/screenshot copy, but thats a different thing (if it does what I think - will check). It also crashes the browser 50% of the time.

Edit: OK, the graphical copy grabs regions of text, but the only place I managed to paste it so far is the address bar. Will try to play more later but better go to work now...

Last edited by epninety; 2015-07-10 at 07:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
One other point I noticed - and it's the only real biggie so far as far as I'm concerned...

The phone melodies and maximum volume are truly pathetic.
I don't give a flying **** what lovely melodies the devs can dream up, if the phone sounds like it's ringing next door it's bloody hopeless.

Jolla with the maximum volume hack is about what I consider the minimum acceptable maximum level should be.

Twice today I've missed calls in my quiet office because I didn't realise it was my phone that was ringing, and it's only 3 feet away from me.

In my car I can't hear it ring at all, and it's not a loud car either.

Rant over

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I was just to buy an Ubuntu phone when I realized what a useless web they are using. Register page doesn't work, shop link from email doesn't work

How to buy one...? worst user experiance ever

EDIT: Ok seems that they had some server issues, working slightly better now.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-07-12 at 11:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Following from my rant about ringer volume...
it appears the volume control buttons still work when the device is locked so its easy to change volume setting in your pocket.

Just to make this more fun, the volume setting graphic can be inconsistent... if you turn the volume down with the device locked, the lock screen indicates full volume, but the settings page shows ringer set to silent.

I also somehow managed to get locked out of the lock screen, despite knowing my code. Reboot fixed that though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: